SASS Wire Forum

Gun Stories on outdoor channel tonight

Grizzly Dave

I liked it except for the macho dude that said he was so manly he wouldn't shoot cowboy loads. IMO that's code for I can't shoot very fast and will use the heavy loads to prove my manhood instead. Every Top shooter here in SASS IS a good shooter and I get SOOooooooo tried of folks talking about the light loads as if that's the only reasons we can shoot fast.

Look people are smart and if they want to be the best in their sport they use the right equipment to do the job and to stay within the rules of the sport.....it happens in EVERY sport. When I hand load my 44 mag loads for hunting they aren’t light at ALL because I load them hot for “that” game because it offers an advantage. IDPA folks play on the edge of their PF, archery folks shoot light arrows and low draw weights to keep arrow speeds up and not have to draw excessive draw weights in target competition,,,,,,, and on and on and on. So, why is it CAS folks that always get singled out?

If SASS DID up the power factors stages times might climb slightly BUT the same folks would still be at the top and this manly dude would still be getting his A$$ handed to him so what would he say then?

Sorry but that get's my goat!

Someone enlighten me about the "ship's wheel" that inspired Sam Colt to design the cylinder ratchet. I have always thought that referred to the steering wheel to the rudder on a sailing vessel. When talking about it on the program they showed a paddle-wheel river boat churning along. Anybody know for sure which one Sam Colt was inspired by??

Not that it matters a great deal , just curious. And , I have heard stuff on some of these Outdoor programs before that was poorly researched and not factual.

Glad to see the new show , anyway. Rex :D

The ship's steering wheel, to be sure. As my editor said when I called him on this, the paddlewheel was "artistic license!" LOL! Sometimes artistic license happens no matter what you do...

RE: "Macho dude" Ken Hackathorn, I believe his comment was made light-heartedly (the entire comment referenced me directly, BTW...Ken and I have been friends for about 1000 years). Ken has a pretty profound understanding of all the shooting sports...he was one of the people with Jeff Cooper at the "Columbia Convention" in 1976 that created the International Practical Shooting Association (IPSC), and he was one of the early masters in that sport. In 1996 he became one of the founders of the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA). He also created the Safety Officer training program for IDPA (I co-taught the first Safety Officer class). He only singled out CAS because that's what the episode was about.

Interestingly enough, he and I have talked many many times about power factor issues in all the sports, and Cowboy Junky is ABSOLUTELY correct that the "players" in all the different sports take full advantage of whatever latitude the rules allow. Ken and I have also talked about how I base my CAS loads on the original cartridge loading from the late 1800s (my .357 loads, for example, are based on the .38 Long Colt, used by the military in 1892, where it failed miserably and ultimately led to the adoption of the 1911...LOL again!).

And yes, Ken does love the big boomers!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

I'll give ya one more comment. Several of the "historians" and authors talked about the all the cavalry on the plains fighting Indians, yet if you look at the units that actually served in the old West, fully half of them were ..... Infantry. Sometimes mounted on mules, but infantry none the less.

Archived