SASS Wire Forum

Which Short Stroke for 1866?

Preacher Clint

OK. I spent the last 18 months or so engaged in a fruitless flirtation with NCOWS. After much frustration and sacrifice, I have returned to my senses and SASS roots. Needless to say, my NCOWS experience necessitated replacing firearms that were "improper" and so, most of my race guns were sold or traded. I now own a 24" 1866 Sporting Rifle in 45LC and an 1873 in 44-40 with 30" barrel. I plan to restrict the 73 to those times when I want to shoot BP, otherwise I'll use the 66 for all my smokeless shooting. The 66 has had some work. The sights are excellent and it has an aluminum carrier. The springs seem to have been lightened. I did try to replace them with whisper springs from Happy Trails, but the whisper springs never seemed to function properly. The lever stroke is still stock Uberti -- very long! Would like your recommendations on the available kits, as well as just sending it to Cody Conagher for his majic.

After using the 3rd and 5th gen cowboy and Indian kit I think anything less than a 5th gen c&i is just spending money you will regret. But I also suggest you go to a match and talk to other shooters to see what they run, fin a few different examples and ask to try there guns. I don't know any cowboys who aren't willing to help another shooter and most will just let you try there gun and get a feel for what works for you. One thing cowboys are good at is helping you figure out how to spend your money :-)

I had my '66 sent directly to Cody... Love it! Had him put on a larger sight and I also recommed getting the lightened brass carrier from ol #4. The aluminum will wear out very fast and not give you any warning. I also had Ol #4 put in the slix springs. I shoot both BP and smoekless out if it and works great.

You will not be sorry sending to Cody

Painted Filly

You have three choices. 1. Cowboys & Indian Store for their 3rd or 5th generation kit, 2. The ottaway Smith AKA: Ruon Snover and Pioneer Gunworks for either standard or super short. Those are the current manufactures of SS kits. All of the manufactures do fine kits and stand behind their work. Pioneer has just improved their kit and it is very smooth. I do consider Ron Snover's kit to be the Rolls Royce of kits.

The end result will be determined by how well the action wor is done before the kit is installed. Pick a good gun plumber.

Coffinmaker

I had my '66 sent directly to Cody... Love it! Had him put on a larger sight and I also recommed getting the lightened brass carrier from ol #4. The aluminum will wear out very fast and not give you any warning. I also had Ol #4 put in the slix springs. I shoot both BP and smoekless out if it and works great.

You will not be sorry sending to Cody

Painted Filly

I've got 10's of thousands of rounds through my C&I...with ALUMINUM carrier...it hasn't worn out...where did ya get that one?

I stongly recommend either the 3rd or 5th Gen from C&I.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

From several of the people that I shoot with that have had to replace their carriers.

Painted Filly

C&I Aluminum Carriers are just fine...I'm not going to lump them in with other aluminum carriers.

First hand knowledge is sometimes a good thing. Perhaps you should consider this before making blanket statements imply such.

Cheers!

C&I Aluminum Carriers are just fine...I'm not going to lump them in with other aluminum carriers.

First hand knowledge is sometimes a good thing. Perhaps you should consider this before making blanket statements imply such.

Cheers!

yep, same here. Somewheres betwwen 30 n 40 thousand rounds thru my 73 now, same carrier as Phantoms. No issues with it at all. Ive had to replace OTHER stuff, but thats all normal

hud

Archived