SASS Wire Forum

Blue Angels Mustang

Subdeacon Joe

I thought it was gonna be a P-51. :lol:

The Phillipine Air Force aerobatic team "Blue Diamonds" flew P-51's for a short while in the '50's... :rolleyes:

Blue Diamonds

OK, Hardpan, what the heck did you search to find that?

Talk about finding interesting stuff...

Ha! Kind words from the King of Innerestin' Stuff Hisself...! ^_^

Actually, I already knew that. A young man I'd worked with in San Francisco many years ago was, I believe, the godson of a former Vice President of the Phillipines. During one of our many conversations he'd told me about meeting some BD pilots and a bit of their history - including the part about the Mustangs.

I introduced the young fella to American outdoors sports, including a hunting and fishing trip up in the Mendocino Forest (Your neck o' the woods!). As a token of appreciation, he gave me a really neat butterfly knife that said former VP had given him when he was a kid.

I sometimes wish I still had that knife, but I later gave it to another friend who collected blades and admired it... Well, it ended up with a good home. ;)

By the way ~ speaking of Mustangs and "your neck of the woods," back in the mid-70's while hunting above Clearlake Oaks I stumbled across the wreckage of William Penn Patrick's P-51. I hauled out a piston, which Sassparilla Kid has on a shelf in his bedroom.

Ha! Kind words from the King of Innerestin' Stuff Hisself...! ^_^

Actually, I already knew that. A young man I'd worked with in San Francisco many years ago was, I believe, the godson of a former Vice President of the Phillipines. During one of our many conversations he'd told me about meeting some BD pilots and a bit of their history - including the part about the Mustangs.

I introduced the young fella to American outdoors sports, including a hunting and fishing trip up in the Mendocino Forest (Your neck o' the woods!). As a token of appreciation, he gave me a really neat butterfly knife that said former VP had given him when he was a kid.

I sometimes wish I still had that knife, but I later gave it to another friend who collected blades and admired it... Well, it ended up with a good home. ;)

By the way ~ speaking of Mustangs and "your neck of the woods," back in the mid-70's while hunting above Clearlake Oaks I stumbled across the wreckage of William Penn Patrick's P-51. I hauled out a piston, which Sassparilla Kid has on a shelf in his bedroom.

Ah! Inside information!

And thanks for the info on that crash. Brand new information to me, that is.

Ah! Inside information!

And thanks for the info on that crash. Brand new information to me, that is.

From an earlier hunting trip I recall a lazy moment, lying back on a rock atop a ridge, long grass stem in my teeth and my Marlin 336 close to hand... gazing at a few fluffy clouds floating overhead... when that knothead buzzed the hilltop and almost blew my hat away! 'Twas an awesome sight, though - and LOUD!

N2872D

I thot that the P 51 was an ARMY AIR FORCE WAR BIRD.

Didn't say I thought it would be correct. Just cool looking.:lol:

I love the Ford Mustang!! The other day I seen a 2009 for sale at a good price. My wife gave me the go ahead.... I can't fit in the dang things!! I'm 6'2" 250. I had to move the seat wayyyy back for leg room then my head was scrunched against the roof so I had to lay the seat down.

Gonna stick with my truck.

CPK

Archived