SASS Wire Forum

'61 Navy Mason Richards

I have a pair of '61 Navy's with Mason Richards conversions in 38 special made by ASM. The conversion ring appears to be held in place by the arbor. I would like to take the conversion ring out but can't figure out how to take out the arbor and don't see anything else that might hold it in place.

I know that on a c&b version the arbor is pinned in place and the pin must be drilled out. But on these guns I'm not sure.

If anyone has any experience about this, I'd sure like to hear about it.

You might give Cimarron a call. They used to handle the ASM conversions.

Semi Conductor

I have a pair of '61 Navy's with Mason Richards conversions in 38 special made by ASM. The conversion ring appears to be held in place by the arbor. I would like to take the conversion ring out but can't figure out how to take out the arbor and don't see anything else that might hold it in place.

I know that on a c&b version the arbor is pinned in place and the pin must be drilled out. But on these guns I'm not sure.

If anyone has any experience about this, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Howdy Sam

Don't know if you saw this site but they got a whole lots of pictures that made my eyes cross after a while.:lol:

http://www.1960nma.o...do-28.01.10.htm

As you know I ain't no engineer but it looks like the arbor screws into the frame. Don't see no pins.

Hope it helps you.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

FEB and LEB you are right I have a pair of 38spl's that have the pins.

I am pretty sure they are Cimmarons but are new enough that I am pretty sure they are not ASMs.

I was taking them apart after another go at the range (timing issues) and one of the guns arbor pins came out. I could not figure out what the pin was from until i inspected the area infront of the hammer a little closer and saw a hole where the pin should be.

The OT's are at my gunsmith in suffolk va for some tlc with the pin issue, loose arbor, and timing issues. I have not met an issue he could not fix.

PR

Larson E. and Waimea Thanks for the replys. On looking at my guns and Waimea's pictures it looks like the arbor is not pinned. Therefore it must be screwed in.

Knowing that the steel in ASM guns are hardened to about the hardness of pewter, What is the best way to remove the arbor. I'm thinking hold the arbor in a vice with aluminum padded jaws and turn the frame? I'd rather leave them alone than bend something.

Waimea, the pictures on the website you cited were very good. That would be an interesting project for my 1860 Armies.

Larson E. and Waimea Thanks for the replys. On looking at my guns and Waimea's pictures it looks like the arbor is not pinned. Therefore it must be screwed in.

Knowing that the steel in ASM guns are hardened to about the hardness of pewter, What is the best way to remove the arbor. I'm thinking hold the arbor in a vice with aluminum padded jaws and turn the frame? I'd rather leave them alone than bend something.

Waimea, the pictures on the website you cited were very good. That would be an interesting project for my 1860 Armies.

Just to be clear. All arbors are screwed in. The staking pin is to make sure they don't unscrew as they are not intended to be removed except for a major repair.

Thanks Larson E. I thought that the pinned arbors were press fitted. Knowing that they are all screwed in is a big help!

Archived