SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero Hammer Styles - Your Preference?

Guest DWM

Ruger now has three possible hammer styles on the New Vaquero (maybe four if you consider the SASS and Montado two separate styles). So what's your preference and why? I'm leaning toward a set of SASS New Vaqueros as the hammer style seems to be the most versatile, but I'd sure appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Don

DWM,

I have long thumbs and did not think I would like the lower hammers of the SASS Vaqueros, but after trying a set I bought a pair of my own, and am very pleased.

I shoot GF and used to engage the hammer with the tip of my thumb, but the SASS hammer is low and wide enough I can catch it with the crook of my thumb and sweep it down and to the side. This puts my thumb in a firing position quicker than the standard hammers.

I haven't shot traditional in a match in over ten years, but in accuracy testing with the SASS Vaqueros I used a traditional grip. To me it felt more like a down and back motion as opposed to a back and down motion with standard hammers (hope that makes sense).

If you get a chance try them out. I sure like mine.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Howdy

When the New Vaquero was first introduced, the hammer spur resembled that of a SAA. It was tall, and it obscured the sights when it was down. I shoot Colts most of the time and I am used to that type of hammer, so that is what I prefer.

I like the SBH/M hammer. Shoot Duelist or GFer so like the lower hammers better.

Have put the SBH hammers on my V's. And the wife like them on her Blackhawks also.

Of course I still like my Ruger Bisleys the best. :rolleyes:

I use an SBH type installed on my NewVaq357 back in 2005, for exactly the reasons Smoke states. I can get that "middle joint" of my strongside thumb onto the SBH hammer's tip even with a pinkie-under hold (big hands). I'm a strong-side thumber shooting one-handed or two. I prefer the SBH thumb-pad "checkering" (actually just side-to-side lines) over the Montado pattern because at the end of the cocking stroke my thumb slides naturally off the side of the hammer and onto the off-side thumb, for a "double thumbs forward" hold very similar to what the current trend is in 1911s and the like. The Montado hammer bordered diamond checkering pattern is a bit more resistant to side-slipping although I'm sure with practice the difference would be negligible.

Putting SBH hammers on my RNVs is one of the best things I ever did. One word of advice though........before you install your new hammers remove the little "Jesus!" pin that holds the hammer plunger and spring in on the hammer. Clean and check for burrs in the hole. Then reassemble. I put a SBH in my first Vaq. Half the time the gun would work, then it wouldn't work at all. Took the gun apart, put it back together with nothing changing. Almost gave up and was gonna take it to a gunsmith. That woulda been embarrising..."Well, I took it apart and now it won't work..." Took it apart one more time then got to noticing the hammer plunger on the new SBH hammer was shorter than the one on the other SBH hammer and would not move. Removed pin and plunger wouldn't come out. Had to pull it out with a pair or needle nose pliers along with a big ole burr that had caused everything to hang up. Put everything back together and now it runs great. When I went to install the 2nd hammer I checked the hammer plunger hole on it and it too had a buncha burrs in it.............

Shooting gunfight I really needed to find a good hammer for mine and a friend put in some SBH hammers with a half cock system so that if I slip my thumb off the hammer it catches on the half cock and I don't have to go all the way back around to get the incited cylinder just stick my thumb back on the hammer and finish cocking. Saved my butt in a few matches

Archived