SASS Wire Forum

Youth 22's

Got a few youngsters shooting, standard 22 rifles are too big for them to handle.

Any recommendations, whadaya got?

Got my grandson a henry.The lightest one they make, lever action.very nice little gun.

For real little guys it's hard to beat the Chipmunk bolt action as a beginner rifle. For CAS Buckaroo categories the Winchester 1906 pump is a great small size repeater.

Got a few youngsters shooting, standard 22 rifles are too big for them to handle.

Any recommendations, whadaya got?

Carlos,

If you can find the old Anschutz Anchiever, they are a dandy "starter" rimfire. The stock comes with a set of spacers that, when removed, can be used by the little 'uns w/o any reach. Then, as they grow, the stock can follow 'em along. Bought one for my girl years ago and she tried (unsuccessfully) to wear it out. Came set up as a single shot but accepts the Anschutz 5 round clips. Decent irons and grooved for scope mounts.

I'm holdin' onto mine as I'm hoping there my be a grandkid in my future someday! Good luck!

"Ad"

An Ithica "Saddle Gun" is a really good one for a starter rifle. I was given one when I was 16 for my birthday. Of course I foolishly traded it off later when I got a 98 Mauser. I recently got one for my grandsons. Are available for about $ 200 or so. Look like a real Old West Saddle Gun. Have a falling block action controled by the lever. Are single shot .22 Good young person first rifle. Have a look on Gunbroker and at local gun shows and gun shops for one.

Henry Youth Rifle is a good one. If you find an exceptional deal on a full sized Henry, you can cut the stock. The barrel is a couple inches longer, but the two younguns that have shot the one I own never had a problem with the longer barrel. You can see Dahlin' shooting it here when she was a 72 lb. 12 year-old. If you look closely, you can see the raw end where I cut the stock off. It has since had a butt wrap added.

My grandkids shoot a Rossi youth model hammer pump. I think Tarus is still making them. It weighs about the same as the Henry but is a little easier to handle.

Spunky

For beginner youngsters you just can't go wrong with an original Winchester Model 1906. Check GunBroker.com

Roy

Are you looking for cowboy type or anything.

Their not CAS shooters, I'm afraid I've spoiled them with shooting a tube load semi auto and a 10-22 even as cumbersome it is for them to handle and I think they would be bored with a bolt action single shot.

Archived