SASS Wire Forum

humudity and air temp and guns

Trigger Mike

In the summer lately especially my basement has become hotter and more humid than it should be. In the unfinished portion it runs 77 degrees and 55% humidity. The air unit is in that portion and even after servicing it first put out real cold air for a day or two and then back to not being able to keep up. In the finished rooms it has been running 70% humidity and over 70 degrees in the small room and probably similiar to the unfinished room as that room stays open to the unfinished portion. The small room has 2 returns and one vent and the bigger room has 1 return and 2 vents. all vents barely put out with any force, it is negligible on the amount of cold air coming out. I have a dehumidifier running in the unfinished portion that drains with the air unit. I priced a central dehumidifier and they want $3,100 installed. I bought a 40 pint dehumidifier for the small room where valuables stay and after the first day it is down to 50% humidity and 82 degrees. The central air suddenly puts out colder air in the rest of the house. I went today and bought a 70 pint dehumidifier for the larger finished room and already the humidity in the adjoining unfinished room has dropped to 49%. It had dropped to 51% when the small unit was put in the small room even though the doors stay closed. Still 77 degrees there and still over 80 in the important room. The humidity in the small room is down to 50% on the wall reading and 40% on the dehumidifier. I set it for 35%. It is above 80 inside the safe but now down to 50% humidity.

What can or should I do to improve the temp / humidity down there? Did the humidity drop help my central air work better?

Humidity has an effect on percieved temperature. If it is drier your persperation dries faster and you feel cooler. So yes the dehumidifier helps out greatly. You may want to look for the reason you have so much humidity. Some areas of the country are just humid I know. But the amount your talking about seems really high. I have a dry stick in my safe to protect the guns.

russ

I wonder if it also has an effect on real temp. before the down stairs air unit could run all night and never get below 73 even when set at 70. This made the upstairs unit work harder. Now the down stairs unit gets below its set temp and the upstairs can now be set lower and actually get to 72 at night and not run all night. Before it could not hold 74 without near constant running.

I also wonder if adding another return will help with air pressure coming out of the basement vents.

after a few days with a dehumidifier in each room, in the unfinished part it is 47% humidity and 79 degrees, it is 50% humidity and 81 in both finished rooms that have air vents in them. How can I get it cooler in there?

Archived