SASS Wire Forum

Stuff to do in Seattle area?

I'll be in Seattle next week on business, staying at a downtown hotel. Never been to the city before and was wondering about neat things to do.

Mostly I'll only have Tuesday - Thursday evening free. Anybody have suggestions about neat restaurants, local attractions, seafood places?

Spent a few days up there with my daughter a couple years ago.

Picture of Wheelgun Willie, me, and Badger Mountain Charlie at Salmon Bay (IIRC) behind a restaurant I think was called Chinooks.

The locks that provide a water way from the sound to the inland lakes is interesting with the fish ladders that allow the salmon to go upstream to spawn.

The space needle is a sight to see even if you just drive by. Downtown is the famous fish market, I think it's called Pikes, that is interesting and the area has a lot of foot traffic which is good for people watching.

I'm sure the locals will chime in and give ya better info.

Grizz

Pike Place Market is always a fun place to visit, and Matt's in the Market restaurant is a very nice, low-key restaurant for top notch seafood. If their menu doesn't ring your chimes, just wander over to Etta's Seafood, which also serves delicious seafood. Also downtown is Elliott's Oyster House. They serve terrific Dungeness crab. The Metropolitan Grill serves great steaks, BBQ, and seafood if you want options.

Happy Hour at Chandlers on Lake Union (half price booze and food). Take a seaplane ride with Kenmore.

Pikes Place is worth a walk about. good Irish Saloon called "Kell's" right there, another good Irish Saloon is "FX McRoreys"

Downtown is loaded with with clueless unemployed morons that hang around the street with their computers plugged into outlets drinking overpriced coffee asking for a hand out. You can spot them easy, they're wearing tee shirts praising a certain well known idiot.

Pike Place Market is good (as has been stated) They have a decent little restaurant and brewery too. The Pyramid brewery isn't bad either if you are a beer drinker.

Walking along the waterfront is nice and there are lots of little seafood places along there.

The Seattle Center (space needle area) isn't what it used to be but is worth a quick look. The Experience Music Project (EMP) is there but isn't worth the money in my opinion.

The waterfront is always interesting. If you have an open evening and you don't know what to do with it, a ride out to Blake Island on the Good Time Charlie is Fun. They serve a indian style alder smoked supper with a boat ride across the sound. Of course you could just walk on to one of the ferry boats and ride as a passenger across the sound. Lots to see on the water and the water front.

Grizzly is correct. Chinooks is on the canal where the fishing boats tie up. Some of the guys from the

TV show about Alaska Crab Fishing moor there. Bell town is a bit wild after dark, as well as First avenue, Pike street and Pine.

If you really get LUCKY, you can ride the SLUT. No, not that slut, silly. The South Lake Union Transit. :lol:

If you are staying downtown, the hotel should be able to steer you in the right direction for some entertainment. Lots of fishing lore and maritime stuff. Across the sound is Bremerton Navy Ship Yard. Some interesting stuff over there, but you would have to ask the concierge.

Yup... Pike Place is a must... flyin' fish at their best~! :rolleyes:

Them boys do have fun at work!! :lol:

I'm very fond of the Ivars restaurants. The clam house (Acres of Clams??) down on the docks is my favorite.

Jump on a ferry and take a trip across the Sound and back. It's not very expensive and you might even see some whales.

Pike Place Market is good (as has been stated) They have a decent little restaurant and brewery too. The Pyramid brewery isn't bad either if you are a beer drinker.

Walking along the waterfront is nice and there are lots of little seafood places along there.

The Seattle Center (space needle area) isn't what it used to be but is worth a quick look. The Experience Music Project (EMP) is there but isn't worth the money in my opinion.

Boy is that a true statement. Place looks like a train wreck.

About the only thing I can say good about the Center is the fountain. If you feel like just sitting

it is relaxing and the sound of the fountain takes away a lot of the day's cares.

Hey Charlie,

Most of the folks that know me in person know that I am no stranger to food.

I like most kinds of it. Well, below is a new website for a local Pastry shop here in

Seattle. Check it out.

That is downtown so it is close enough for a hike.

Maybe Utah will loan you his Red Star hat.

http://piroshkirestaurant.com/index.html

I'll be in Seattle next week on business, staying at a downtown hotel. Never been to the city before and was wondering about neat things to do.

Mostly I'll only have Tuesday - Thursday evening free. Anybody have suggestions about neat restaurants, local attractions, seafood places?

You can take in a Mariners baseball game

Space Needle

If you have a day, take a ferry ride from Anacourtes to Friday Harbor

I used to live up there. I really don't think the city of Seattle, or much in the way of any city around there, is very attractive. Tacoma is worse.

But they have some very beautiful and charming countryside. The trees and the land. So one thing that comes to mind is to rent a car and ferry over to the Kitsap Peninsula and drive around. The ferry rides are fun, particularly the one from Anacortes to Friday Harbor.

If I had less time, I'd take in Pike Place Market, right there in Seattle. And I'd still catch a bit of a Mariner's game. It's just fun to do. We used to do that.

There's something luscious about the land up there. It makes me want to reach down into it and hug it. It feels so alive, so fresh and full.

Enjoy it.

AJ

Another fun thing is that this week end is the BITE OF SEATTLE food fair at the Center.

IF you are hungry. :lol:

Antie J is right about the trip to Friday Harbor on the ferry, but the big draw back is getting to Anacortes, If you have a car it is a straight shot up I 5 to Mount Vernon and then over to the Ferry.

On the way back you can stop at the Homestead for supper. It is my favorite restaurant in the area.

Umbrellas are for whimps, Dan.

Folks in Seattle don't use them so much.

Sunglasses either.

Yup! In Washington State, umbrellas are a sign of weakness and they will pounce upon you unmercifully. ;)

That is why we wear socks and sandals also.

Uniform of the day. Lightweight parka w/hood and short sleeve shirt underneath

Shorts, either cargo pockets or long silky things.

Colorful wool socks

Sandals.

You will be right at home in the U district or Capitol Hill.

Downtown and looking for the best Irish Pub food and beer, not to mention booze and music? Go to Fado

Seattle has a lot to see:Visitors

I suspect a few of us locals could take ya on a tour - or at least give you more precise ideas once you get settled in and see how much time you've got . . .

Seattle is seafood heaven, although not the same as New England, and it's an outdoor persons playground for hiking, biking, walking and such - and

yes - it rains - so what Humans are drip dry and water tight.

Enjoy!

Shadow Catcher

Archived