SASS Wire Forum

Lets talk SXS shotguns

So if I was to buy a Browning BSS who would be the best person to slick it up?

Ol Number 4 is a good smith on BSS's.

GJ

I have said this many times. If you must have a single trigger SXS buy the best you can afford. The lowend single trigger guns will sometime bit you in the butt. Some will either not fire one barrel or worse fire both at one time. There was a post just this week about this problem and I believe it was a Baikal single trigger.

I personally don't see any reason to spend that much if you can handle two triggers. The low end two trigger Baikal is just as reliable if setup right. The issue of the ribs separating or the fore-iron hanger breaking off happens often because the gun wasn't setup right from the get-go. That has happen with the high end single triggers, too.

When doing the action work the objective is to get it to open easier, open wider and stay open for the reloads. When opened most internal hammered SXS’s will try to close back about half way. This doesn’t work well for the CAS game. But this is what I caution folks about both the Stoeger and the Baikal. Some folks are doing work on these by just changing or modifying the cockers and/or reducing the hammer springs so the gun will open wider without retiming the hinge area.

What happens when the cockers and/or reducing the hammer springs alone are done is, the hook tries to roll off the hinge pin forcing the forearm-iron hard into the forearm hanger/lug there on the bottom of the barrel when the gun is slammed open. This can lead to the fore-iron hanger on the bottom of the barrels cracking and break off or the ribs pulling loose. Retiming the hinge area so it opens farther and the lightly reduced hammer springs dampen this effect to avoid these problems. The Stoeger and the Baikal can be made to open wider, stay open without having this problem but it is more involved than just reducing springs or modifying the cockers.

Howdy

This is very Important gunsmithing on a shotgun that holds seven time more powder than your revolver or rifle and you want it to be race ready and ease of use. Johnny Meadows and Nate Kiowa Jones are hands down the best. And both are Great Americans and once you used there product you will not go back. You decided what you can afford and send it to them. They make magic out of SKB Baikal Iac Get in touch with them and you will be glade you did. I know both of these men and respect them greatly.

johnnymeadows55@yahoo.co

steve@stevensguns.com

stevesguns.com

not

stevensguns.com

Nope - it's:

steve@stevesgunz.com

with a 'z' at the end of gunz

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

IF I were startin out I might start with a single trigger gun as tha trigger learning curve would probably be less, that said I have always shot a double trigger Baikal. I bought an tried a SKB, It didn't work out for me. Tha SKB I had was very smooth an tha springs were lighter than my Biakal that has been shot for over 13 years. Just remember that also means it closes easier when you don't want it to, IE putting it down. Tha size of tha baikal stock an forearm are almost tha same as a SKB (I have always cut tha checkering off mine, so tha pistol grip is small)As far as cost goes I have any shotgun I want to shoot! I shot it last weekend for 10 stages and as far as it holding up, it was tha second one that was ever funneled out! I've almost quit shooting so it will probably outlast me! I've never had a stoger but remember one thing, tha very very best SXS shooter I ever saw shot one every time I ever saw him shoot :excl: It never failed him. His name was Macon Rounds. He used ta say it don't matter how fast ya shoot 4 er 6 er 8. I'll see ya come match time.

I did not say this but I think I saw a very fine SKB double up on a shooter over tha weekend an fail ta fire tha second barrel on another stage. Not a slouch smith either. Ye just gotta get tha bugs worked outa any thing.

RRR

Ray, what you described here is the $2.48 connector spring breaking. I described it in another post. They are very small, their size and strength is the primary weak point in an otherwise great gun. Normally you can shoot for several years without a problem but when it breaks it's gotta be replaced. The fix takes about 10 minutes for a smith and an hour for anyone else .

Dirt, retired SKB tinkerer

The standard SXS for cowboy shooting is a Stoeger coach gun with the old Baikal guns still showing up now and then and I have owned both of these with good results. There is a very strong following for the SKB 100 and 200 and the Browning BSS. My question is; are the SKB and Brownings really worth the extra $500 to $1000 over a Stoeger?? What about Fox shotguns? or CZ

I have a Huglu which is now the CZ.... Used ta be imported by Armsco and now CZ. It's Turkish made.

It's a hammerless single trigger, it was very stiff out of the box and took a lot of polishing and shooting to get it to loosen up....

I have never had a problem with it that was not operator error. The nice is it has a greener crossbolt....

I got it by accident for 1/2 of retail. Works great....

I have 2 old hammered shotguns, one a Remington and a british local maker from 1880's. The trouble with older shotguns, Fox included, are the hammers. They are REALLY STIFF. The Remington needed a come-along ta cock it! Ended up buying a 'parts' Remington and had the hammer springs lightened. Still kinda stiff but is a hoot ta shoot....

Seems with shotguns the phrase "Ya get what ya pay for" holds true.

JJJ-D

Archived