SASS Wire Forum

Lets talk SXS shotguns

The standard SXS for cowboy shooting is a Stoeger coach gun with the old Baikal guns still showing up now and then and I have owned both of these with good results. There is a very strong following for the SKB 100 and 200 and the Browning BSS. My question is; are the SKB and Brownings really worth the extra $500 to $1000 over a Stoeger?? What about Fox shotguns? or CZ

I started with a Stoeger and fought that thing for almost two years. It was by far my least favorite gun after rifle and pistols. One day a wise person asked me a fateful question, "You've got over a thousand dollars wrapped up in that rifle you're shooting. You've got over a thousand ddollars wrapped up in those pistols you're shooting. Why in the world are you skimping on your shotgun, it's every bit as important as the other guns." I immediately bought a Johnny Meadows SKB and it went from my least favorite to my MOST favorite gun almost instantly.

If there was a cheaper shotgun than a Stoeger lots of people would be using that one. Did you buy your Stoeger because you checked on all the brands available and decided it was the best or did price figure into it?

Yes, an SKB or BSS is worth the extra money. It just may not be worth the extra money to you.

I want to try one - even though I am a 1-2 shoots/mo (and no place to practice just yet) fella I can certainly appreciate great quality!

but, the Stoeger is serving me well so far....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have a TTN hammered double that I like alot. Pretty much ready to go out of the box.

I recently bought one of the new Baikal hammerless SxS shotguns. After some smithing it's a real nice shotgun that didn't break the bank.

Find a pard who has an SKB or BSS and try them out, that's the only way you'll know for sure if it's worth it to you.

Grizz

The first year I fought a Biakal I picked up for cheap. It was terrible. Then I sent it to Gunslinger. It came back a different gun. It has been great since. I know Biakals are not very expensive, but once properly tuned I don't know how any $1000 gun could be faster.

The SKB single trigger gun is a joy to shoot.

BUT...you must know which barrel fires first if you single load (planned or unplanned). It required nearly a minute of study on the clock for me to get that right...

Olen :blink:

The standard SXS for cowboy shooting is a Stoeger coach gun with the old Baikal guns still showing up now and then and I have owned both of these with good results. There is a very strong following for the SKB 100 and 200 and the Browning BSS. My question is; are the SKB and Brownings really worth the extra $500 to $1000 over a Stoeger?? What about Fox shotguns? or CZ

After an unfortunate incident with a '97 I switched to the Stoegers and used them for about 4 years. Loved the side by sides and the Stoegers were cheap to get. After a while the lug that the barrel pivots on broke off. Assumed it was overuse and got another. It's lug cracked after about 6 months. Got another and the welds on the inside of the barrels (where they attach to the receiver) were unfinished. Sent it back and it was repaired but the lug cracked on that one as well. Tried the single trigger version (don't get me started :angry: ) Tried a Johnny Meadows SKB and now have several. Don't know if they are any faster but they sure are smoother and a joy to shoot!! :)

Point is that if you don't mind replacing them occasionally the Stoegers are fine. If you want a gun you can run hard, that lasts a long time the SKB's and BSS's are well worth the money.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I love Spanish Shotguns.

I've purchsed a number of them in the $300.00 range

I like the fit and feel, the actions and the wood.

They just don't like me.

I shoot an SKB 200. Yes it is worth it. There is enough frustration in this world - I don't need to put up with a less than optimum shotgun.

Coffee

I shoot a Baikal that I have lovingly worked on for several years.

I picked up one that Nate Kiowa Jones had worked over and realized mine wasn't THAT good yet. I left the barrels with him and when he was finished and sent it to me, it is as good as anything out there.

Like many I started out with a Stoger. Did all the tricks available around here. Shot it for a couple years with little or no problems. Then someone handed me a Dirt Merchant SKB and the Stoger was on its way to a new happy home. For me the size and shape of the wood on the SKB is worth the difference in price. With a good action job by Dirt or Goatkneck there are a pure joy to shoot. They seem to be very reliable with the only problems being in the second barrel not firing. I have one that was returned for this problem by someone else and it has never failed to fire the 2nd barrel in over two years of shooting. Maybe it really does have something to do with how the gun is sholdered.

The Browning BSS is also a very good and reliable gun. It also requires a good smith to perform their majic. It is a little larger and heavier than the SKB. A big strong dude like Duece can sure make one sing.

In my humble opinion the SKB would be worth the money if it were twise as much. They have doubled in price since I got my first two.

Just the view from my rocking horse.

McKenzie

Ask any top shooter in the game and they will tell you more matches are won or lost with the shotgun than any other gun.

It still amazes me how much money is spent by shooters on tricked out rifles and pistols and then balk at the mention of spending more than a few hundred dollars on the shotgun.

To me the skb and browning are well worth the investment especially after how much money is spent on the rest of your gear to play this game.

IF I were startin out I might start with a single trigger gun as tha trigger learning curve would probably be less, that said I have always shot a double trigger Baikal. I bought an tried a SKB, It didn't work out for me. Tha SKB I had was very smooth an tha springs were lighter than my Biakal that has been shot for over 13 years. Just remember that also means it closes easier when you don't want it to, IE putting it down. Tha size of tha baikal stock an forearm are almost tha same as a SKB (I have always cut tha checkering off mine, so tha pistol grip is small)As far as cost goes I have any shotgun I want to shoot! I shot it last weekend for 10 stages and as far as it holding up, it was tha second one that was ever funneled out! I've almost quit shooting so it will probably outlast me! I've never had a stoger but remember one thing, tha very very best SXS shooter I ever saw shot one every time I ever saw him shoot :excl: It never failed him. His name was Macon Rounds. He used ta say it don't matter how fast ya shoot 4 er 6 er 8. I'll see ya come match time.

I did not say this but I think I saw a very fine SKB double up on a shooter over tha weekend an fail ta fire tha second barrel on another stage. Not a slouch smith either. Ye just gotta get tha bugs worked outa any thing.

RRR

I want to try one - even though I am a 1-2 shoots/mo (and no place to practice just yet) fella I can certainly appreciate great quality!

but, the Stoeger is serving me well so far....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I agree GG. I would like to try one before spending $1200-$1500.

MB

I have a Stoeger, Browning BSS and SKB and have shot all three in competition. All I can tell you is that going to the SKB has shaved seconds off my shotgun time. It is a delight to shoot and well worth the extra cost as far as I am concerned. That kind of value judgment is very much in the hand of the holder, however. I have friends who shoot Stoegers, shoot them well and are happy with them.

Cassalong Hopidy

Tha SKB I had was very smooth an tha springs were lighter than my Biakal that has been shot for over 13 years. Just remember that also means it closes easier when you don't want it to, IE putting it down.

That's one of the things that makes Johnny Meadows SKBs so great. He puts a detent in the hinge mechanism that helps hold it open but is light enough that you don't notice it when closing the action after a reload.

I can't speak for the other smiths, they may do this too.

Before the Stoeger came along the Rossi Coachgun was the standard double for CAS. Built like a tank & almost indestructible. I shot one the first 5 or six years I shot cowboy. Then came the Baikal & Norinco which were cheap but had to have action jobs right away. I replaced the Rossi with a TTN (now imported & sold by EMF) hammered dbl. I liked it so much I added another to my armory for a backup. I figured they were so good I bought a 97 from EMF for B-Western. That thing had to be worked on to get it to even chamber properly. Then for style points I bought a Norinco 97 Trench gun for WB. I even bought the leather sling & bayonet for it. I know, I know, I can't shoot it with the pig sticker & sling at a SASS sanctioned match. But some locals might ok it. Wish I had another Rossi.

I started with a 97, but lately I've grown to love my Charles Daly single trigger double (made it Turkey). Pioneer Gun Works carries it now. I have heard that Charles Daly no longer imports them. It's a great gun for the money.

I shoot a Baikal single trigger. I did a little work on it and then had it finished by Dirt Merchant. Don't know how a shotgun could be any slicker or more dependable. I have another ready to be sent to Dirt Merchant for his magic. So, I'll have one for BP and one for smokeless. Plus side is you probably can buy two and have then reworked for the price of one Browning or SKB. Just my thought.

DMJ

I have a "Nate Kiowa Jones" Baikal that I have been pounding on for the last 3 years. It is a fantastic shotgun. It's very reliable, easy to run fast, and best of all not that expensive. I have an identical back-up, just in case, but haven't had the need. I have also spent less on both with action jobs as what one, untouched, SKB or BSS are selling for. I have no plans on swithching shotguns, I love my Baikal.

That said. If I find a really good deal on a Browning or SKB I will buy one. I have shot several of Dirt's SKBs and I have run them as fast as my Baikal right off. They are very smooth and feel really good to me.

However, both SKB and the BSS are expensive and with 2 very reliable, paid for, shotguns I just don't see that extra cash going out for one unless it's a very good deal.

Maybe like the BSS Sagebrush Kid just picked up! ;)

JEL

Mongo, KBI was the importer of various firearms & sold them under the Charles Daly brand name. KBI went out of business a little over a year ago.

That's one of the things that makes Johnny Meadows SKBs so great. He puts a detent in the hinge mechanism that helps hold it open but is light enough that you don't notice it when closing the action after a reload.

I can't speak for the other smiths, they may do this too.

Can you still get a SKB SxS? I was just on the SKB's web site and they discontinude their side by sides as far as I can figure out.

Can you still get a SKB SxS? I was just on the SKB's web site and they discontinude their side by sides as far as I can figure out.

Not sure if you can get a new one but, there are plenty available on the second hand market.

No new ones built since about late 1980s. SO, unless you got a time machine, you buy a used one. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

No new ones out there.

But like PS said. There are used ones out there.

With them being so popular with us Cowboy shooters. They don't last long when one shows up.

Every now and then I hear of folks finding one cheap. As the person selling it does not know how much

they are now worth.

No new ones out there.

But like PS said. There are used ones out there.

With them being so popular with us Cowboy shooters. They don't last long when one shows up.

Every now and then I hear of folks finding one cheap. As the person selling it does not know how much

they are now worth.

Ok,thanks pards,I'll keep my eye's peeled but like one poster said,I might need a time machine.Then again,if I had a time machine,I think I would go back to the old west days.

Just out of curiosity,what are used ones going for?

I shoot a used Liberty 2 that my wife got me for Christmas. (she bought it from Tupelo Flash) I love that gun and I have at least one person comment on its looks every match.

curley

Ok,thanks pards,I'll keep my eye's peeled but like one poster said,I might need a time machine.Then again,if I had a time machine,I think I would go back to the old west days.

Just out of curiosity,what are used ones going for?

One already smithed and ready to rock and roll for SASS??? $1200 to $1400 bucks.

If I run into one somewhere (pawn shop, gun show) that is in good shape. With no smithing done.

And I could get it for $800 bucks. I would grab it in a heart beat.

I tried several different makes of shotguns. started with the inexpensive ones but they just didn't point right for me. Got a SKB liked it but still not quite right. after years of friends telling me to get a Browning I did. Love it no recoil, fits my point of aim. and load it better than any other shotgun I ever had.

Try some different ones out for both point of aim, and loading. It may help you make up your mind in a hurry. Everyone is different.

BT

Archived