SASS Wire Forum

Congrats Alaska State Champs

Kootenai Brown

Congratulations to Alaska State Overall Champions Four Bucks and Bear Claw Becky. It’s a repeat performance for both of them from last year. The historians are still checking, but it’s very likely that with this win, Four Bucks broke Dirt Dancer’s long standing string of State Match wins.

The Golden Heart Shootist Society was pleased to welcome the Alaska 49er’s from Anchorage, almost 400 miles away. And let me tell you, they came to shoot! They collected wins, places, and shows in several categories.

We were also graced (or is it cursed?) ;) with a visit from Hedley Lamarr, hailing from the Seattle area, 1700 miles away. He came up to shoot Frontiersman, and offered us a lot of good advice on improving future matches based on his travels to matches around the country. Ruby Lil, our Trail Boss, recognized Hedley for traveling the furthest distance to shoot with us.

It was a great weekend of cowboy camaraderie and shooting at Chatanika. A few thundershowers on Friday gave way to sunshine and temperatures in the 70’s on Saturday and Sunday.

Friday saw some fun side matches, with shooters aiming to knockdown bowling pins. There was a pistol match, a rifle match, and a combination pistol and rifle. The course of fire was man on man, loading each firearm with five rounds and knocking down the pins, making up misses with reloads. The first shooter to knockdown the five pins would then reload a final round and ring a steel plate.

Saturday and Sunday had five stages each. Saturday’s shoot included the notorious “Open Range” stage with five rifle reloads and two pistol reloads on the clock. Our frontiersman had a great time with that one! :lol: Sunday’s stages included “Open Range II” with a shotgun blast through a building wall.

Our closing ceremony included Three Bars Keeton on the bagpipes, playing Amazing Grace as a memorial to those who passed on this year.

We’re already planning for next year, and we’d be pleased to see more pards come up and visit Alaska next year!

Congrats again to the overall winners and to the category winners.

Well Hammer, your birthday was yesterday if I recollect...so now you're WAAAAAAY older than me!!

Kootenai...it was great to meet you and shoot with ya! Looking forward to the next time. Come down to Birchwood and shoot with us sometime Pard.

4 Bux

Well Hammer, your birthday was yesterday if I recollect...so now you're WAAAAAAY older than me!!

Kootenai...it was great to meet you and shoot with ya! Looking forward to the next time. Come down to Birchwood and shoot with us sometime Pard.

4 Bux

Congratulations 4 Bucks!!! and the other Alaska State Champions!!!

A darn fine shooter and all around good guy!!

Hopefully will get to shoot with ya again someday.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived