SASS Wire Forum

Fav-O-Right Bullet

Anvil Al #59168

Would like to know which bullet you like the best. NO. Not a 38 vs 45 thing.

But in each. What bullet weight, shape etc... to you like best.

As for me.

Right now it is. 105tc in my pistols and 130rnfp in the rifle.

In my .45's I have been shooting 180rnfp

So what is yours. 105?? 115???? 125???? 158???? 200???? what???

Would really like to know.

I shoot 38s....use 125gr TC in my Vaqueros and 158 RNFP in my Marlin rifle. The RNFP seems to cycle better in the Marlin.

In my 38/357 Pistols I shoot 125 TC's in 38 spl. brass. For the Marlin rifle, also 357, I prefer 158 TC's and sometimes use 158 RNFP. In the Marlin 45LC I prefer the 200 RNFP.

RBK

I usually shoot 38spl 105gr truncated cones in my pistols and rifles.

Tho - I have been shooting a 147gr cone shaped bullet over the same powder charge thru the rifle in a couple of matches

and while I have yet to put it on the timer, the rifle function feels somehow "faster".

(I am thinking that it might be a recoil thing - a touch of recoil in the rifle speeding my lever response)

Once I have some hard data to support or disprove my feelings, I will move forward with any changes if appropriate.

I use 158gr RNFP in both my rifle and pistols.Too lazy to load different bullets for rifle and pistol.And the 158's seem to have no problems taking down any knockdown.In my 44-40 I use a 200gr RNFP for both.

I usually shoot 38spl 105gr truncated cones in my pistols and rifles.

Tho - I have been shooting a 147gr cone shaped bullet over the same powder charge thru the rifle in a couple of matches

and while I have yet to put it on the timer, the rifle function feels somehow "faster".

(I am thinking that it might be a recoil thing - a touch of recoil in the rifle speeding my lever response)

Once I have some hard data to support or disprove my feelings, I will move forward with any changes if appropriate.

Now, "recoil response" is kinda odd IMHO. I trained (back when I DID train) using dummies. My levering response is cued by having tripped the trigger...... Lever, trip, repeat (if the front sight is where it belongs, all the better)

Hello Al,

125 TC in 38s (feeds best in both '73 and '66), and 200 RNFP in 45s - same for each in BP. Same load for rifle & pistol, for simplicity. Haven't needed anything more for tough knockdowns?

When I have more time to practice and shoot (and seriously satisfy my competitive urge), it may change, but these work faster than I can stress them right now and are satisfying to shoot. :)

Harvey

Howdy AL.

In my .38's (rifle and pistols), I'm using an excellent 110 gr. Truncated bullet made by Deuce.

In my .45 Ruger Sheriff models, I REALLY like those 125/130 grain Barnstormers by AJ loaded in C45S brass.

In my .45 Marlin, I prefer the 160 or 180 grainers loaded in the C45S brass.

..........Widder

I've been usin' the 38 caliber Hornady 140 gr. 358 dia. Cowboy bullet over Tightgroup for the last year or so in my pistols and rifle with good results in spite of my bad aimin'. :lol::FlagAm:

Deadeye Dingus

Shooting 38's

125 gr TC in the pistols at about 800 FPS

147 gr TC in the rifle at about 850 FPS

Load both with the same powder charge and primer.

Set OAL to 1.42 in the pistol, 1.51 for the rifle.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

45 Colt - in rifle and pistol

200 grain / .454 dia Big Lube

250 grain / .452 dia Big Lube

Full charge Goex FFg

Winchester Large Pistol Primer (or Wolf), but can't wait to try Federal brand.

Why? Blowback is lessened (though it doesn't bother me really) and I am 'entertained' by the recoil :D and BOOM factor.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

For .38s, 125 grain TC with a box of 180 grain TC for miscalibrated knockdowns.

For .44-40, 200 grain RNFP. No sense shooting that chambering if you ain't shooting that bullet. Lighter bullets can go in .44Mag, spec., Russian, etc.....

Cheers,

BJT

Missouri Bullet Company

Cowboy #2 - .38 Special - 125 Grain Truncated Cone Flat Point - Pistols and rifle

Cowboy #4 - .45 Colt - 200 Grain Round Nose Flat Point - Pistols and rifle (Also use this one in .45 ACP)

Missouri Bullet Company

Cowboy #2 - .38 Special - 125 Grain Truncated Cone Flat Point - Pistols and rifle

Cowboy #4 - .45 Colt - 200 Grain Round Nose Flat Point - Pistols and rifle (Also use this one in .45 ACP)

+1 I couldn't have said it better. Exactly what I use.

Moulton Lead 105 grain TC for my 38 special/357 pistols

Missouri Bullet Co. 125 grain TC for the 38 special rifle

I found that I can load either of these without having to readjust loading dies on my Dillon 550..

Just have to reset powder measure..

Rance

I currently shoot 158's in .357 & 185's in 45 Schofield. I plan to go to 200 in 45 if my supplier gets them. I pay $25 for 500 158's and $29 for 500 185's

shenny

125s in both the pistols and my spur marling, tried 105s but cuddnt tell any difrence.

Like 165s for my 44-40s, tho usually have tu settel fer 200s.

CC

Howdy,

I shoot 105 TC rifle and pistol over a Titegroup charge and I use the 115's from master craft over same charge and my BP rounds all set at 1.50

KK

Howdy Al,

In my .38's (rifle and pistols), I'm using an excellent 110 gr. Truncated bullet made by Deuce. (<--Copy from Widder Post)

I have used Missouri Bullet Factory No. 2's (rifle) and 16's (pistols) before I started using the 110's in both.

Kid Doubleday

Guest diablo slim shootist

when I can get them 115 gr 38 from Mastercraft in both pistol and rifle

180 gr in my 45s

When I cast my own(which I am starting to do lately)I have molds for

105 TC 38s-125 gr 38s and 160 gr 45s

Just got a 310 gr 45 mold for killing snakes and such!!! :P

I use 125 gr .38 (.358) in the pistols, and 200 gr .45 (.452) in the rifle. Based on this post, I just contacted Missouri Bullet Co. (they have a Military discount as well) and they got right back to me! I've emailed three other purveyors of bullets recommended here on the wire (won't say who, don't want to be *that* guy - they may have good reason why they haven't responded) - and Missouri Bullet was the first group to respond to me! Someone in one of the other posts I was perusing said somethin about starline brass, I saw that Missouri has .45 Colt starline (at least till people read this and order them all, haha).

I'll let y'all know how I like the Missouri Bullets when I get 'em!

I use 105 tc in rifle and pistol. But I am one of the guys running "mouse phart" loads most of the time. If I go somewhere that is know to have hard knockdowns I run a 158 RNFP with a bunch more powder. Both cycle in my 73 just fine

Archived