SASS Wire Forum

Smart phone timer app?

Grayrock, SASS #64093

I loaded one called Shot Timer (Free) on my Iphone. It a little sketchy, nothing I'd use for a match. I'm experimenting with it for practice. There is also a paid version of Shot Timer priced at about $10 on the Apple App Store. If you search on the App Store you'll find four or five of them.

I was wondering the same thing as I was just checking what apps there were for my ipod touch after reading the article in the july chronicle on downloading the handbook to the iphone.

The one I looked briefly at was probably the Shot Timer app, did not down load it but it seemed that people liked it. I was curious about the echo rejection adjustments, do real shot timers have that adjustment?

QWL

My hardware knowledge ends with pulling and terminating cat 3-through-6 cable, setting up PBX-es, switches, routers, etc; fixing the things that the LEC hoses when they claim to have not touched anything on my side of the smart jack, while claiming to be able to ping it, even though they are dark as a church on Hallowe'en, all the while expressing surprise that all three of my PRIs just went down simultaneously, etc ...

That, and some basic electronics.

I've been worrying (in the sense that a dog worries at a bone) at this problem off-and-on (more off than on, lately) for a few years since cheap, easily programmable microcontrollers hit the market. (BASIC stamp FTW (L?))

The smart-phone concept actually has a pretty good shot at working, since it's now all addressable in software. As long as the phone's on-board clock is precise enough (which it should be, if it can work as a GPS receiver).

I've never coded for the Android environment, but I have one, and have been looking for a project to give me an excuse to learn it. Not sure I have time to do it solo, but if another tech-savvy pard out there was interested in teaming up on it, maybe we could come up with something interesting.

PM me if yer interested.

--GJ

I bought one for my iPod touch. It works very well if I'm alone, but I couldn't tune it low enough when I was at an indoor range to eliminate other shooters. Since my iPod touch doesn't have a microphone, I had to buy a set of earphones with a built in microphone. I put the ear buds in, put on muffs, set the delay to 3-5 seconds, then push start, drop it into my shirt pocket and wait for the beep.

It records single shots and strings and displays split times between shots. Then you can save the strings into a history for bragging (or crying in my case) rights when you show your friends.

I think mine cost 19.99 through the iTunes store, but not sure on that. Whatever, it was worth it to me.

I have the surefire shot timer on my iPhone

As others have said it is alright for practice, but not up to "match standards". But remember you are asking a phone to be a timer and wanting it to work Like real timer does.

Grayrock, IMNSHO ... It's got faster hardware, a better display, a richer API. It should be more capable... Certainly, it's not as elegant nor efficient of a solution, but there's no reason for it not to be as capable, with the possible exception of not being able to tune out echoes (might need some fancy DSP that's tough to do well in software)...

'Couse, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

B)

Downloaded the shot timer from sure fire app last night for my gen 4 ipod touch. Just used it for dry fire, my main gripe is that by the time you calibrate it for that it picks up everything as a shot - the echo from the beep, the clicks of the action, etc. Might try it on real fire this weekend.

It is real neat to have the display of overall and split times and the ability to email the string to yourself.

I am also in the group that would wonder why the apps couldn't actually be better than a regular timer. For sure the host device is going to be a lot more engineered.

Would have tried the other shot timer app but the free one only gives you five shots - and the surefire one had higher ratings.

QWL

Archived