SASS Wire Forum

Question on old Colts

Shaniko, SASS #19938

Howdy

The transverse cylinder base pin lock first started appearing on target models as early as 1892. It became a standard production feature around mid 1896.

HOWEVER, Colt did not factory warranty the SAA for Smokeless Powder until 1900 at about SN 192,000. So the idea that the presence of a transverse cylinder base pin lock indicates a gun is safe to fire Smokeless Powder in, is incorrect. In 1901 Colt began stamping a VP in a triangle on the front of trigger guards as the Verified Proof mark that the gun could be safely shot with Smokeless Powder.

The gun you are talking about was made in 1907 and as long as it is in good condition it should be safe for Smokeless Powder.

Look for a mark like this on the left front of the trigger guard.

VP

Howdy

The transverse cylinder base pin lock first started appearing on target models as early as 1892. It became a standard production feature around mid 1896.

HOWEVER, Colt did not factory warranty the SAA for Smokeless Powder until 1900 at about SN 192,000. So the idea that the presence of a transverse cylinder base pin lock indicates a gun is safe to fire Smokeless Powder in, is incorrect. In 1901 Colt began stamping a VP in a triangle on the front of trigger guards as the Verified Proof mark that the gun could be safely shot with Smokeless Powder.

The gun you are talking about was made in 1907 and as long as it is in good condition it should be safe for Smokeless Powder.

Look for a mark like this on the left front of the trigger guard.

VP

Driftwood— Thank you. I knew this stuff once, but I'm getting old and foggy and can't remember things as well as I usta. But that was just the info I was looking for.

Shaniko

Archived