SASS Wire Forum

Beaver Brand 1860 Hats ?

10x beaver means that the hat was built with a felt that consists 0f 10 percent beaver hair 20 x is 20 percent 100 x is 100 percent beaver felt, 5 inch brim with a gus crease, nothing there is indicitive of brand.

I bought this hat at Goodwill for $2.99. If this is worth a Rescue and worth restoring, Good I will put some $$$$$ in the piece.

If not, with the 5" brim it will make lots of 44 cal. Wads for my 1851 Navy's and such. I have a Wad punch and look for old hats for such a purpose. I usually only pay a $1.00 for old Wool hats.

This one sorta caught my eye, so to speak. ;)

I have been to the above site. One of the worst I have seen in a long time.

They were aroun alot some while back it seems, 6 er 7 years. I owned one an several others I shoot with had them. No problems as I recall. I haven't saw them in several years. I gave mine to a young shooter son of a friend, not because of quality but because of size.

RRR

Assuming the above web site is correct (which it appears to be), the hat is very good quality - very likely a 50% or better beaver fur. In that case, it would be well worth restoring.

And probably a waste of good quality to substitute for plain wool felt as used in most patches (and cheaper hats). :D

P.S., looking a little more:

10X Hats

Those may a pretty expensive hat. So it would depend on it's condition, but could be well worth even replacing the liner if needed.

Wild West Mercantile carries or has carried them. I have a Boss of the Plains I bought last year. It is marked 5X, I think. Paid around $120 for it on sale. Good quality hat. Been wet a couple times and still holds its shape. About the same quality as a Bailey. 10X ought to be better quality. I've seen some that were a rival for or maybe a tad better felt than the current offering from Stetson.

Wild West Mercantile carries or has carried them. I have a Boss of the Plains I bought last year. It is marked 5X, I think. Paid around $120 for it on sale. Good quality hat. Been wet a couple times and still holds its shape. About the same quality as a Bailey. 10X ought to be better quality. I've seen some that were a rival for or maybe a tad better felt than the current offering from Stetson.

Thanks, Pard. This is the info i was hoping for. ;)

Archived