SASS Wire Forum

What ejects the shell...

Three Foot Johnson

I bought a "6" prefix IAC 1887 and it shoots well, but seldom will eject the last/second/single shell. Yes, I know they have to be operated vigorously, and I've had other '87 shooters try it with the same results, and yes, I've tried theirs with good results ejecting the last/second/single shell. So... any suggestions on a fix?

It's called the "elevator". It's that part in the middle of the 2 carriers.

99% of the time, last shell eject issues are caused by the right side extractor spring putting to much pressure on the case rim and not letting the shell "fly".

Check out Coyote Cap's site for fixes ;)

Cheers,

LG

A lot of times when the gun does not eject the second hull it is because the left extractor needs tuning. The tip needs to be narrowed so it will release the hull. You don't notice the problem with the first hull being ejected because the hull coming up in the carrier will knock it loose.

I have a friend who has one of these things. He told me that he was having extraction problems with his as well. Then, he compared it to an original and saw that all the dimensions, other than chamber length were the same. That got him to thinking, cuz the originals were built around 2-1/2" shells. So, he tried switching to the shorter shells. Never had an extration issue since.

At least, that's what he told me. Take it with a grain of salt.

A lot of times when the gun does not eject the second hull it is because the left extractor needs tuning. The tip needs to be narrowed so it will release the hull. You don't notice the problem with the first hull being ejected because the hull coming up in the carrier will knock it loose.

The left side extractor should loose contact with the case rim after the shell is extracted about 3/4" to 7/8" from the chamber. Then the right side extractor takes over and should have very little pressure on the case rim to release the shellcase cleanly.

Most of the time, the bottom of the right side extractor interfears with the last shell clearing the action.

Also the left side carrier pivot hole needs to be opened up a little bit so it will lay-over more to the inside.

Respectfully,

LG

Getting the innards out was easy enough, but damned if I can figure out how to get the extractors off.

(edit) OK, got 'em out. Reducing spring pressure on the right side helped some, but it's still got a long way to go. One thing at a time...

Reducing spring pressure on the right side helped some, but it's still got a long way to go. One thing at a time...

BE CAREFUL I know on mine I was scared to just take it apart and put it back together! You might consider piecing it back together and describing the problem to Lassiter in detail to have him fix er up and while you're at it have him do a tune/action job and a drop two conversion (that's what I had him do on mine) well worth the two C notes it'll cost and your problem will go away as well. What do you think? Smithy.

Archived