SASS Wire Forum

Just a little peeve

As a black powder shooter I clean my guns every time I use them. But most times I just pull the cylinders and clean the barrel, the cylinder and all outside surfaces.

However, every third match I like to strip the guns down to the bare frame and clean everything. Just to make sure I don't get any nasty surprises.

But that's not my peeve...

I've got an Uberti built Model P where the machined edges are so sharp, I could gut a deer with the frame.

When I manage to disassemble and re-assemble that gun without slicing a finger I think of it as a major accomplishment.

My Pietta Great Western IIs aren't that sharp and neither are my Colts.

Do any of you have Model Ps that could double as cutlery, or is this a unique specimen?

Mike,

I here 'ya!!! I have two Uberti guns that could slice steak. I get at least 4 or 5 in the shop every year for work that will slice and dice. Depending on where the "sharp" is, I sometimes buff it off. Usually after I have cut myself and bled all over everything. Uberti Rifles are WORSE!!

Coffinmaker

With Uberti, it always helps to have your deburring and scraping tools close by. Find a sharp spot, debur it. Then work on the gun's main problem.

A couple of triangular scrapers (small to medium) work wonders, and often don't remove enough bluing to worry about.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, I take a ceramic finish stone and ease the edges just a little, GW IIs also. I shoot nothing but real BP and clean with Murphy's mix, followed with a spray and patch of Ballistol. I only break my guns down about twice a year, never had a speck of rust :D . Watch them fingers ;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Coffinmaker. I hear you on the rifles. I had my '66 Yellowboy stripped down last night and I was worried I'd slice a finger off with the side panels.

Yup, the old timers used that as a razor when needed :D :D

Mike,

I here 'ya!!! I have two Uberti guns that could slice steak. I get at least 4 or 5 in the shop every year for work that will slice and dice. Depending on where the "sharp" is, I sometimes buff it off. Usually after I have cut myself and bled all over everything. Uberti Rifles are WORSE!!

Coffinmaker

Can't be much worse than when you take the bottom floor plate off the Marlin receiver. Those side edges of the receivers are devastating to unsuspecting gun cleaners.

Speaking of SPEED.....do you know how long it takes to start bleeding when you slice your finger on one of them rifle edges?

ANSWER: less time than it takes to say, "OH CRAP"!

..........Widder

As a black powder shooter I clean my guns every time I use them. But most times I just pull the cylinders and clean the barrel, the cylinder and all outside surfaces.

However, every third match I like to strip the guns down to the bare frame and clean everything. Just to make sure I don't get any nasty surprises.

But that's not my peeve...

I've got an Uberti built Model P where the machined edges are so sharp, I could gut a deer with the frame.

When I manage to disassemble and re-assemble that gun without slicing a finger I think of it as a major accomplishment.

My Pietta Great Western IIs aren't that sharp and neither are my Colts.

Do any of you have Model Ps that could double as cutlery, or is this a unique specimen?

Don't feel too bad about your Great Western II's. A little judicious use of a stone and you can use them for field dressing dear or elk, too!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Howdy

I've been saying this for years. Manufacturers today just take the parts out of the CNC machines and dump them into the parts bin so they can be assembled. Actually that's not quite true. Most manufacturers dump their parts into big rotary tumblers filled with ceramic media to deburr the parts. The parts sit in there vibrating away for a proscribed number of hours, then they are taken out and put into stock. The tumbler is just a giant version of what we use to polish our brass. Works on the same principal, the parts vibrating away for hours while the ceramic media breaks the sharp edges.

The problem is, the action is done all over the parts, rather than targeting the specific edges that need breaking. You don't want to leave the parts in too long or they will get ground down to nothing. The amount of time they spend in the tumbler is really not enough to address the sharp edges. And the sharp edges and rough finish are there because the CNC machines routinely run too fast.

A bazillion years ago, firearms manufacturers employed people whose job it was to manually deburr parts. Rather than the scattershot technique the machines employ, deburrers would only deburr the specific edges that needed it, and would leave the rest of the part alone. The company I used to work for had a whole room full of people who did nothing but deburring all day long. A pretty boring job when you get right down to it. But the company laid them all off years ago. Now every body relies on the tumblers, which do a spotty job at best.

If you want quality parts, you have to pay for it. The duburrers were all laid off because it was too expensive to keep making parts that way. Cheaper to let a machine do it. The result has been, crappy parts that cut you if you even look at them crosswise. But it ain't going to change, we will never see mass manufacturers go back to hand deburring.

I wonder if the original Henry and 1866 rifles had razor sharp edges on the side plates. I have never had the opportunity to take one apart. Might be an interesting exercise. I know that you didn't cut yourself on S&W parts years ago, all the parts were hand fitted. Probably the same with Colt back then too. When I took a tour of S&W last year I noticed a couple of big tumblers full of parts. Didn't see anybody deburring anything.

El Gato,

I hadn't thought about sharpening up the GW IIs. It is nice to have everything matching. :D

Hunting season is only a couple of months away!

Seriously, neither my wife's Taylor Smoke Wagons nor my USFA SA's have caused me any grief with sharp edges. The Smoke Wagons only cause me grief when she beats me......

Buenos tardes,

eGG

Archived