SASS Wire Forum

New reloader for

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Guys, I finally went down into the hells dunjin and set up my new Hornady LNL AP. This one is not the latest model, it is pre-EZ Ject, since I already had all the old plates etc. This new one is actually much nicer than my old model, even though the old one has all of the upgrades added as they came out. This new model does include grease zirks, a great service idea that I couldnt duplicate. I did not realize how much the many years of loading black powder and subs was showing on the old machine until I mounted the new one beside it. Its not that the old one has pitting or even actual rust showing but the patina on all unfinished metal parts makes it look like an antique beside the new one and the paint does not match either. Perhaps a coat of wax would brighten up the old paint BUT I am thinking that Hornady has changed the color a smidge???

To the good stuff, and first impressions. Set up, after mounting, was extremely quick thanks to the years of practice on my old model. This one is planned to be a full time small primer for smokeless loading press. The only thing that required any time was the powder measure. Since I was setting up for loading smokeless .38s I decided to try the new pistol size rotor in the new powder measure and use a small bottle of Trail Boss powder I had on the shelf. I can say with confidence that this does not work on my new machine, this powder is to light and bulky for the small measuring chamber an the pistol rotor. (It is definitely more about the powder weight and bulk, than the volume as recommended in the instructions.) A quick change, back over to the standard rotor, corrected most of the problem and I was back in action.

If my memory is correct, my old machine required some fiddling to get everything timed right but not this one. Hand feeding the brass, a pia, only required a slight slowdown for the Trail Boss to flow and I was getting some really nice rounds. Do not try to rush the TB or you will get inconsistent charges, spent a while figuring that out before starting real production.

Once I can afford a case feeder for this machine and figure out a better metering powder, these dang little 38 caliber bullets will really load fast. Shux, even a ham fisted guy like me can palm a dozen or more of these small bullets. I did find one glitch that needs a fix, the first eighty or so primers feed perfectly but when you get to the last few from a flat you will start getting some hang ups. On my old machine I always use a brass follower rod, also marked to let me know when I reach empty and I need to do the same for this one. I am thinking the small primer tube may not take a standard size rod as my old rod is to big. HMM, might check a welding shop to see if any of the smaller brazing rods would work???

My take, I think that Hornady has taken the best auto progressive press on the market and made it even better. Now if they would just come out with a copy of that little powder check buzzer that Dillon makes and, of course, do it in red! Gotta go load a few more of them little .38 boogers now.

My take, I think that Hornady has taken the best auto progressive press on the market and made it even better. Now if they would just come out with a copy of that little powder check buzzer

Howdy Bob, long time no see. Hornady does have a powder cop die, works great, I like it better than that buzzer contraption :D . Coures you know I luv my Hornady L-N-L. :) I use a piece of wire coat hanger for a follower rod, put a piece of tape on it like a flag so I know when I'm getting low, Good Luck :)

Powder Cop

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I have a fairly new Hornady LNL; it came with a white rod (fiberglass, maybe) to sit atop the primers in the feed tube. I marked an "empty" line on mine with a sharpie to alert me when I am running low on primers.

Since the Hornady has five stations I decided to buy one of the powder monitoring dies. After doing some research I purchased the RCBS Lockout Die. It works without my having to watch it. It soon got a "test" when a .357 case slipped into the .38s I was loading. Sure enough, it stopped me cold until I could fix the problem.

I was having one problem that turned out to be 100% operator error. I had disassembled my Hornady seating die to clean it and managed to reinstall the bullet alighnment sleeve upside down. Now it is seating and crimping fine.

I had a few issues at first with the primer shuttle sticking. The cause was gunk building up in the primer seating plunger which prevented the plunger from retracting all the way down. I started blowing it out with One Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube every 100 rounds or so. I think it has "worn in" a little now and seems to work better.

My other issue was that the expansion die didn't seem to give me enough bell even though I had it cranked down until it touched the shellplate. I called Hornady CS and they suggested I try the PTX (powder through expander) which will expand and bell the case mouth in the powder charging die. I did but was getting a few dented case mouths in the .38s using the PTX (oddly enought I've not had this issue with the PTX to load 9mm or .45 ACP). I've tweaked the timing a bit and changed the case retention spring but on my last batch I just used my RCBS expansion die which has a bit more adjustment range.

I've not owned a Dillon so I can't compare how easy that would be. The Hornady has taken a bit more fiddling than I anticipated but I've sure cranked out a bunch of ammo on it. Hornady CS has been good about answering questions so far. I paid just under $400 for the press not counting dies and a $30 shellplate and was ready to load. I got 500 jacketed bullets under Hornady's promotion although they are sitting in a cabinet. If Hornady would let you choose a larger quantity of hard cast bullets that would be a cowboy bargain for sure.

I had exhausted my supply of Trail Boss before I got the Hornady press so I can't say how it would run. It metered OK in my RCBS measure so I don't know why it would not work in the Hornady measure. So far all I have used Clays in the LNL and it works well.

Thanks for the responses. Jefro, Thanks for the hanger idea. Not perfect but it worked, kinda, on a small batch that I ran off last night. The only hangers I found were actually a bit small,it rests in the primer cup slightly and everything now feeds perfectly except for that last one. I have an old Powder Cop die that was made by RCBS but it never seemed to work well, as I remember it had something to do with loading full cases of bp?? Not sure if this would be applicable to a bulky powder like Trail Boss or not?

I have loaded on two Dillons years ago and actually done a side by side with one at a reloading demo some years back. I do not like the SDB period, at its price, the 550 is also overpriced for a non auto indeing machine but I do consider the 650 to be a super press, right along with, and 'almost' equal to my LNL AP. The LNL has been incorporating just to many new and innovative ideas while Dillon is playing the game that S&W and Colt played for years, standing still and relying on the brand to carry them. At one time Dillon was the innovator and way ahead of its time, many years ago! I do give Dillon much higher points for great accessories(extra cost) and customer support.

MTC, I have a case feeder on the older press and loading on the new press without one for the last couple of days has proven just how valuable the feeders are. You can bet a feeder for the new press will be at the top of my must buy list pretty soon, though I do not plan to be loading that many 38s for SASS??

The only real problem with Trail Boss is due to its density and extreme light weight. Hornady has a new rotor for the smaller powder needs of pistol loads. This new metering chamber is really tiny compared to the original models rotor and they recommend using it for the 3+ grain size loads. That is actually a fairly large volume of Trail Boss and there lies part of the problem. I just could not get Trail Boss to flow into it but it does well in the bigger one, problem solved after a bit of experimenting.

After loading my first run of 38s I checked them in my guns and found a problem. The bullet/case crimp die was tightened a good bit to much and there was a bit of a roll that causes a tight chamber situation. I think it was like a half round of loosening that fixed it. Just a really easy set for a new press, but then, I have been using one of these for many years..

Archived