SASS Wire Forum

hand spring

Bailey Creek,5759

Yesterday at a shoot my 72 open top wouldn't rotate, to the next cartridge. it would if held at a slide downward position.

so when i arived home i tore it down the hand spring is broken.

i read here that someone made a new spring out of a Bobby Pin.

does anyone know, how to do this or have done it?

Bailey Creek

Howdy

I seem to remember it is Manatee that posted this idea. I believe he has posted it several times. Never done it myself, but I suspect it is just a matter of cutting it to the correct length and popping it in place in the hand. May need to be pre-bent a little, don't know. Part of the genius of this idea is bobby pins are cheap, so you can experiment getting it right.

To replace a hand spring, the easiest way I have found to do it is to lay the hand flat on a hard flat surface, with a hole under the slot where the spring resides. Use the new spring to drive the old broken one out.

I got tired of replacing broken hand springs - which always seem to break at the most inconvenient times! The best fix is to convert to the Ruger spring and plunger set up. Larsen E Pettifogger's how to articles are most useful to anyone wishing to tune these pistols. Part 2 covers the hand spring change.

i remember reading the articles in the Chronicle i added them to my favorites.

i think i will take one of my other open tops apart and see which the spring is bent.

then bent the bobby pin like it. then heat it and hope it works.

Bailey Creek

i remember reading the articles in the Chronicle i added them to my favorites.

i think i will take one of my other open tops apart and see which the spring is bent.

then bent the bobby pin like it. then heat it and hope it works.

Bailey Creek

Besides trigger/bolt springs the leaf type hand spring is the weak link in a colt style action. The coil spring fix is the best fix but if you insist on staying with the leaf why not call VTI and order one.

Howdy Again

I don't think you should heat it. Bobby pins are made from spring steel. If you heat it it may loose its temper, then it won't be a spring anymore. If you want to bend it, just bend it. But don't put a sharp kink in it, make the bend very gentle.

Archived