SASS Wire Forum

sherifs model

evil dogooder

Ok thinking of starting a different style costume already. Was thinking of maybe going gambler so I was considering of going twin sheriff's models. Anybody use them regularly? Who makes the best balanced? I was thinking maybe rugers since I have their revolvers already just not sheriffs. Plus the local gun shop has a plow handled and a birds head. Both in 45. For 450 a piece...but I'm sure I can talk that down. The thing is lately I've been having a lot of issues with 4 of my 5 rugers

I was also thinking of converting c&b. 31 cal's just because they look cool. Like a '49 pocket

That's the main thing I shoot for fun. I don't give a rip about speed. If I want to shoot a lot of lead fast I compete with a semi auto sass is just to have fun for me.

Ohh an how hard would it be to put bisley grip frames on a sheriffs model? That would get some looks ;-)

Thanks

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

Here's my Ruger Bisley sheriffs models, .45 Colt.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/90north/bisleys005.jpg

Those are some nice looking shooters!!! That settles it I need me a pair or two

Since we're sharing pics of our sheriff shooters here's my Uberti 45 Colt. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/sixguncowboy/UbertiSheriff.jpg?t=1288470044

I have the Cimmaron/Uberti bird's head model .45 with a 3-1/2" barrel. Jimmie Spurs did an action job on this great carry gun.

The Cimmaron model has a flat thumb spur that keeps the gun from rocking in my hand. Compare it to the Taylor's SAA or the Ruger to see the difference.

Top and his Scout

I ain't carryin sherrifs but I did do another look as a scout and carry double 75 Remingtons crossdraw. We drove from SoCal to Bakersfield and boy did we get comments on the way up.

We plan on goin to the Autry tour dressed this way on the 28th. (prob can't pack iron so will be wearin my big ol concho belt in stead...

it is all in the look...

lets see pix

curley

I use the Sheriff Model Rugers in .45 and have also had Lassiter modify another set of Rugers into Sheriff models in .357 by cutting my barrels down to approx 3.5".

Both of these sets serve as my main match guns.

As a side note, this past weekend, a Duelist from Florida came to visit us at our monthly match. His name is Hombre Paul.

He used my .357's in the match and commented to me that he LOVED em. He told me that he is now seriously considering having his 5.5" Bisley's converted to 3.5" Sheriff's models. He really like that setup.

So yea, ifn it were me, I would try to acquire those two pistols.

Another item to consider is that when using the .45 Colt, you can get some of the Cowboy .45 Special brass from Adirondack Jack and use those in your pistols. I have found those to be excellent.

Bad Hand: WOW, I really like those. Beautiful!

..........Widder

Nother thing to do with a Sheriffs in .45, is to add a .45 ACP cylinder to 'em. Shoot .45 CS and .45 ACP cases interchangeably.

FUN

Coffinmaker

Been considering that for my long barreled vaqueros.

Got two pair Ruger ss sheriffs models----they are great---like all Rugers----I go 2 different ways with holsters for gambler or townie dressed in dress clothes----gambler is frock coat-vest-- puff tie w/stick pin--pocket watch w/ chain---5&1/2 ss Vaquero on right side--sheriffs model in Huckelberry shoulder holster on left side--------dressed up town clothes--white 10x stetson hat -dark thin stripes frock coat-vest---string tie--pocket watch-w/chain--5&1/2 in Vaquero on right side--sheriffs model in crossdraw on left side--(think John Wayne in The Shootist--his outfit for his final shoot out)---Most clubs want ya to do the dance w/ shoulder holster--just like a crossdraw----no big deal unless stage has ya seated at a table w/out staging pistols on table----it ca be safely done but is kinda tricky---Great choice of outfits in my humble opinion!!!!

Sounds cool! I was debating between twin huckleberry rigs or a single with one of my 71/2 barrels. I haven't been to many matches but I practice daily. Some days twin belts criss crossed some days one strong and one cross draw..... depending on the day if its right or left handed I switch to keep one or the other from getting rusty. The only problem with the huckleberry is how do you hang a thirteen inch bowie off the belt ;-)

Several years ago, I bid on a box of Uberti single action parts on eBay; barrels, cylinders, triggers, hammers, internal parts, etc., and when the box arrived I was sorting through it and found a frame mixed in with everything else. :blink: There were two army style grip frames, which look a bit odd on the completed project, but there were enough parts to make one complete revolver in either a 4 3/4" .357 version or a .45 sheriff's model. I picked out some parts and assembled it in the latter configuration. The grips are Jay Scott SBH grips trimmed to fit and with mahogany caps added on to make 'em long enough.

HEINZ

Ok what would be better? Have a smith cut down ny 71/2 barrels or get new revolvers?

Ok what would be better? Have a smith cut down ny 71/2 barrels or get new revolvers?

When I had Lassiter cut my barrels, it all had to do with price. I already knew he could do a perfect job, of which he did. Plus, I knew I didn't need a NEW set of pistols. So, I had mine cut.

Ifn ya got the funds, go ahead and buy a new set. If you really like em, then sell the 7.5".

Ifn ya don't have the funds, you should consider the barrel cut.

Best wishes.

..........Widder

Get new ones if you can afford em & keep the 7.5 for a while. You might decide you don't like the sheriffs and then you'd have to sell them & buy 7.5s again. Then there's the leather. Keep the 7.5s for at least a year.

Guest diablo slim shootist

why not just buy short barrels and keep the long ones-just swap them out.

I love my 3 1/2 Ruger Montados.

That would be the best way to go & then he'd have the best of best worlds. :)

How would one go about getting dif barrels? Just order two from ruger?

Archived