SASS Wire Forum

"Accessories" storage question?

The Dakota Clay

I'm working on a better system for storing/organizing some of my gear AT HOME. I know I'm not the only one with a plethora of gear sitting around at home, but unfortunately, mine is scattered in boxes and drawers all around my office, gun room, safes, dresser drawers, etc etc. I have everything from barrels, scopes, stocks, holsters, loading blocks, rings, buttpads, holsters, bipods, shooting sticks, sights, slings... you get the picture...

I started keeping small parts in tacklebox type trays, but I still have a pretty pathetic system for storing/organizing other larger gear.

So what are yall using?

Having fought that problem for years , the best I have done is parts in tackle boxes , that are labled on both ends , stored in shelving unit . Small stuff in boxes with lables . The big stuff , just try to keep like items together , or when all else fails ONE BIG PILE to go through when I need something .

14 in tool bowes make good cleaning kit boxes , flip top bottles keep it clean and dry in the bottem , I also put the liquid bottles into zipploc bags , in case I forget to close them all the way .

Chickasaw

Man Cave. Use ta' be a small bedroom that became available.

With lots and lots of shelves, benches, racks, and storage boxes.

Y'all jest gonna hav'ta use yer own imagination as to whut it looks like.....camera done broke.

I carefully and diligently put the most recently used items on top of the less frequently used items.

That way I rarely have to dig down to the floor under the bottom of the piles more than twice per year.

:lol:

I collect old foot lockers and my wife loves cedar chests so that's. What I store the bigger stuff in leather in the cedar chests and all the other larger stuff in the foot lockers. The shelves help devide stuff and the big area below works for stocks and barrels abd clothes

This topic is very appealing -- just like all that Rubbermaid stuff at Wallyworld that promises to make my life organized.

But, and it's a big but, every time I organize all that little stuff it is several years before I can find it again. In fact, there's a couple of sight parts I've been looking for for over two years now. I know they're here, I remember "organizing" them.

This topic is very appealing -- just like all that Rubbermaid stuff at Wallyworld that promises to make my life organized.

But, and it's a big but, every time I organize all that little stuff it is several years before I can find it again. In fact, there's a couple of sight parts I've been looking for for over two years now. I know they're here, I remember "organizing" them.

+1 on the plastic tubs. I have the same problem as most of you. When I go to a shoot I will typically pack the leather, etc. in a tub and put it in the van. I probably need to have a garage sale and reduce the amount of stuff.

KK

'Scuse me, but I just gotta ask, Are you XX or XY? MEN pile junk in their shop/study/office/garage and just wade through it now and again to rediscover crap, er, I mean "valuable items" they forgot they even had. Women have etegeries and cupboards and totes and bags and chests of drawers for their crap, er, junk, er, whatever that fru-fru stuff is, and that's all well and good. Just don't ask me to ORGANIZE a damned thing. I might build yet another work bench (I have five) in my shop rather than clean one off, but CLEAN? SORT? GIMME A BREAK!

Really and truely, it looks like a rummage sale threw up in my shop, yet I can most often put my hands on whatever it is I need within a few minutes, and might find something neat I forgot I owned in the process. I don't need "retail therapy" at Walmart or the True Value, I just need to look for a caulking gun or putty knife to find new (again) stuff to interest me, like the handgun scope, binoculars, and a shoulder holster I found the other day.....

I store all my stuff in different range bags for leather and stuff use at different matches. I have three for now plus a toolbox for my range stuff( chrono, stapler, sand bags, etc). I have a bag setup for cowboy, wild Bunch and the third bag has my loaner gear in it. I have a large duffle with all other shooting gear that doesn't t see much use.

Like most, small stuff in parts drawer units or flat, clear tackle boxes.

Big stuff - clear plastic storage tubs on shelves, with 3-M Post It notes stuck inside on the end, listing the major contents; also range bags (actually, Bucket Boss bags - cheaper and better than most range bags), one for SASS, one for modern, and one for shotguns.

There's nothing feminine about being organized. I'm the organizer in my family; my wife prefers semi-controlled chaos (piles). I just don't function well if I can't find it right away. And I like to see all those neatly labelled little boxes all lined up - should have owned a hardware store.

LL

Archived