SASS Wire Forum

Small Travel Trailers

Hi Matthew,

Now, I've got a trailer hitch and wiring. I just need a "brake controller" before I can haul one home. The one I liked is gone but there are still three more in Sacramento that I found online.

Hubby says he's busy or resting when I ask about the brake controller. SIGH!

Dave, if you are as portley as you say, you will not want that. Can you walk between the toilet :blush: and sink to get to the shower. Also, our RV had the corner access bed in back. Definately a PIB to make and climb into. I think you can do better for $90K!

Regards,

Allie Mo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portly? Naw, prosperous, yes! I am a short, but very large person.

Getting in and out of bed was a concern with that one, making the bed? Throw the covers up and call it made, after all, I am a cowboy, not a housekeeeper! And you are right, it does look tight between the stool and the sink. I'd rather lose the sink all together than have to sit on the stool to brush my teeth.

If money was no object I might start with something like that and have it modified for someone my size. But since it is, I'll just go to one or maybe two out of town matches a year and stay in a motel.

Still fun to look and dream though.

Grizz

Grizz,

Sprinter vans are cool, but can be very costly to repair. But I guess if ya can afford one ya can afford to get it repaired. After all we are jus dreamin.

In my dream it runs like a champ and never needs repairs! :D

I would like to have a much smaller trailer than I do, but, like Grizzly Dave, I'm a bit on the large side at 6'4" and 300+ pounds. I wanted to be able to take a shower without knocking the shower door off its rails or having to be on my knees to get under the shower head, and until you get to about 28', they all seem to have the same tiny shower module. My current "Tin Tipi" is a Crossroads Paradise Pointe 32' bumper pull, but I've been thinking strongly of a small second RV like a Casita for one or two day short haul overnight trips.

Portly? Naw, prosperous, yes! I am a short, but very large person.

Getting in and out of bed was a concern with that one, making the bed? Throw the covers up and call it made, after all, I am a cowboy, not a housekeeeper! And you are right, it does look tight between the stool and the sink. I'd rather lose the sink all together than have to sit on the stool to brush my teeth.

If money was no object I might start with something like that and have it modified for someone my size. But since it is, I'll just go to one or maybe two out of town matches a year and stay in a motel.

Still fun to look and dream though.

Grizz

Grizz I had to laugh at this part, my son and I have been thinking about getting an old school bus, ya you know the short bus everybody talks and makes fun about and turn it into an RV for SASS shoots.

In all seriousness

I have been thinking of getting a small , flat front cargo trailer . It should not be hard to modifey .

Thinking put an A/C in the front wall and a cargo box to hold fuel and a small generater on the tounge .

Put a fold down bunk on the wall . Not sure if it will work out though . Should be able to be pulled and STOPPED with most anything .

Not a lot of creature comfornts but a place to sleep at the range , with room to haul all your gear .

Thoughts ???

CB

In all seriousness

I have been thinking of getting a small , flat front cargo trailer . It should not be hard to modifey .

Thinking put an A/C in the front wall and a cargo box to hold fuel and a small generater on the tounge .

Put a fold down bunk on the wall . Not sure if it will work out though . Should be able to be pulled and STOPPED with most anything .

Not a lot of creature comfornts but a place to sleep at the range , with room to haul all your gear .

Thoughts ???

CB

You might find this interesting, it is all about converting cargo trailers: http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=7b0b0506cad97abd1653b309f385167f

CB, at one time I had thoughts of putting a truck camper on a flat bed trailer.. at the time I had a decent pup up truck camper, but, if you are pulling it with the truck, why not just put the camper on the truck and forget the trailer, unless it had enough room for a golf cart or ATV or whatnot...

I'm with Allie :wub: if I were to ever get a motorhome or trailer, having a toilet that was workable for someone my size, and a shower would be a must. If I don't get a hot shower in the morning I'm not really fit to be around. Now if I could ever work around that, even a cheap used small trailer or truck camper would do, and might make for a neat winter project if you had a garage big enough to work on it indoors in a heated area.

Well ,

I have an older class c , a 76 dodge motorhome , that I relly do not use . I drive a 2003 Ranger ex-cab p/u with a fiberglass topper , whale-tail centerdoor/ full open back . I like the idea of being able to drop a trailer and have the p/u to run around if I need to .

The MH is to big to do anything with except park . It is a pain to break down if you have to go to town to get anything . Since I am single , I do not need a lot of room , I was also INF. so a little less comfort is not that big of a deal .

This year I tent camped at the AR State shoot , it was so hot , that I almost fell out from it . I can take the cold a lot better than the heat , but that may change , having all this metal in my back now . I guess time will tell the rest of the story .

I am going to start looking around for a small trailer , i am thinking a 6x10 with an RV door and a ramp rear door , that way I can move the mowers and the ATV . Heck , I might even mount a rack to put the jon boat in the top .

CB

I would like two things:

1. The money to buy a trailer.

2. The money to buy the gas to haul it around.

I don't see that happening though unless my cash from Nigeria gets here. ;)

AM

Yes MAM , I looked at some at the RV place . I was not inpressed with the ouality of the fit and finish , BUT the price was Very inpressive (read way too high ) . So I have been looking at differant ways to do the same thing , I am very consertive with funds (CHEAP) .

Off to do a little poking around on the web for trailers .

Have a GREAT day , I will check in later .

CB

You realize, of course, Allie, that we are all waiting with 'bated breath the announcement of your final selection!

eGG

I would like two things:

1. The money to buy a trailer.

2. The money to buy the gas to haul it around.

I don't see that happening though unless my cash from Nigeria gets here. ;)

I'm right there with ya brother.

You realize, of course, Allie, that we are all waiting with 'bated breath the announcement of your final selection!

eGG

Hi eGG,

Me too! Still waiting on Hubby to get the Jeep ready to haul... I'm way down on HIS "to do" list. Hey! I stacked wood yesterday. Seems like he could get to something I want him to do...

I want a Casita. I doubt I will get it. I will settle for one similar to the one I posted a link to. As Woodie implied, I will have to add a clothes rod. :rolleyes:;)

I hope to, at the latest, have it ready in time to apply for Winter Range (if they will let me in...).

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi eGG,

Me too! Still waiting on Hubby to get the Jeep ready to haul... I'm way down on HIS "to do" list. Hey! I stacked wood yesterday. Seems like he could get to something I want him to do...

I want a Casita. I doubt I will get it. I will settle for one similar to the one I posted a link to. As Woodie implied, I will have to add a clothes rod. :rolleyes:;)

I hope to, at the latest, have it ready in time to apply for Winter Range (if they will let me in...).

Regards,

Allie Mo

Despite the issues I mentioned WAY earlier in this thread, we enjoyed our Casita for about 6 years! I advise the 17' model: taller closet (A/C is on the roof, not under the closet) and a better fridge with a freezer big enough for the important stuff: ice cream. The 16' models only have a 1/2 closet, vertically speaking.

For storage, I bought 4 plastic storage boxes for hanging file folders. We used one each for his & her clothes, extra food/supplies, and the 4th one for dirty laundry (something RV manufacturers do not acknowledge exists). They fit under the bed nicely, and a bungee held them in place while travelling. I added 2 or 3 inches of foam on top of the dinette cushions that make up the bed for comfort, and we left the bed made up all the time. We used the mini-dinette on the side for eating. Only used the shower a couple of times ~ it was usually easier to use one in a campground.

The only reason we went slightly larger is that we have plans for longer term travel - the Al-Can Highway, and several extended trips to the corners of this country. I still miss the Casita, though, from time to time!

Salud!

eGG

Allie,

It holds enough water that no ones a stinkin at the range! Everyone gits there showers. I have not been able to run it dry yet, Or is that Sweet Tooth Sally has not been able to. She does like water! :P

eGG, I started to say, I've never taken ice cream to a match. Then I remembered the lime sherbert for a wedding shower at The High Sierra Shootout... That was a rarity. Cowboy matches rarely have showers and that is my primary destination; so, our wants are very different. I did RV to Illinois with my mom and know what you mean about the park showers. I used them all the time.

LL, that has a nice shower; but, alas, is too big for my car.

TH, it's always a good thing when no one stinks. ;)

:wub:

AM

No ice cream? That's roughing it!

Have you checked here: Casita Club that's where we found ours, and where we sold ours, too!

Buena suerte,

eGG

And then there is the teardrop. Kinda spartan though. No shower. No head. No running water.

It has a bed and a table though. Sorta for the Hardy Camper crowd more so than for the Happy Camper crowd.

Archived