SASS Wire Forum

Small Travel Trailers

Allie, that is a nice little trailer. The only thing I noticed right off was the toilet to wall/door distance. The toilet in my runs parrell to door but I have to leave the door open some to be comfortable. That looks like a knee knocker. Unless you leave the doo open. Don't be afraid to sit on the toilet to check space.

Russ

Eggzactly! I have an uncle that had to take a brand new 5th wheel back because he didn't check the "head space" as it were. :P

CC

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allie, that is a nice little trailer. The only thing I noticed right off was the toilet to wall/door distance. The toilet in my runs parrell to door but I have to leave the door open some to be comfortable. That looks like a knee knocker. Unless you leave the doo open. Don't be afraid to sit on the toilet to check space.

Russ

Maybe it is early and I haven't had much coffee, but that is one of the more humorous typos I've seen in awhile.

I'm sure you don't need to belong to yet another forum, but if you haven't been there, a good place for information is www.rv.net. I joined when I got my truck and Mrs. Doc and I were considering a trailer for horse shows. We never did get one, but now that CAS has entered the picture, it may soon be time to reconsider.

Of course, they are nowhere near as wonderful to hang out with as we are here!

Hi Matthew,

Hubby looked at a Jayco and the Skyline I liked. He's still working on getting my car ready to tow. Something about a brake controller.

I hope to have better news next week. :unsure:

Regards,

AM

On both my vehicles, both GMs, installing a break controller ment attaching is somewhere under the dash, and plugging it into the fuse block. Of course mine was prewired with towing packages, if your's isn't, he has some under car work ahead.

Hey Ms. Allie Mo (no "e").

Have ya'll looked over this here sight?

Jeep Liberty towing stuff

I'm assuming that we're tawkin' 'bout a class III heavy duty hitch...

Hey Allie,

Dar Dar Plinks and I have been thinking about getting a small travel trailer as well. We already have a large enough tow vehicle, but we still prefer a smaller/lighter trailer for general convenience. But it must be comfortable enough for the two of us.

I was walking the other day and saw one of these:

Eco Trailers by Dutchman

They're made to be towed with smaller tow vehicles, and come with many good layouts.

Hope to be shooting with ya' soon,

EC

Hey Ms. Allie Mo (no "e").

Have ya'll looked over this here sight?

Jeep Liberty towing stuff

I'm assuming that we're tawkin' 'bout a class III heavy duty hitch...

Hi OKB,

Yes, that is the hitch I would use. I found that in my owner's manual. One of the dealers I visited told me to call Jeep with my VIN number and they could tell me what I could tow. I did and they found my car and answered my question.

Bad Hand, I think he may have to pay to have that done. :unsure:

Eamon, it's been too long! I like that layout except for the toilet. :blush: I would not want it to get wet while I'm showering. Also, I liked the layout with a sofa so I don't have to take down the table to make a bed.

Thanks again!

AM

Hey, Allie Mo!!!

This won't work for your Jeep, but if ya'll buy a pickup it will...I fell in :wub: with this 19' 5th wheel while I was in Moriarty after EOT. The list price on this ad is $25,000, but they had a special "show" price on the door when I looked at it for $16,000. Had everything on my wish list...and light weight too! :D

2012 Idle Time 19' Fifth Wheel

AND this RV dealer supports SASS!!! They were a vendor at EOT!

Are you thinking about a smaller rig so you can pull it by yourself? You can do it!!!! If I can, so can you! ;)

Oh...I forgot to say...it's got more "stuff" than my 18' toy hauler...even steps for my old Packard pup. :rolleyes:

Oh! And I noticed some of the trailers you are looking at are single axels....You will enjoy pulling a double axel much better...something to keep in mind. IMHO B)

Ms. Allie Mo (no "e"), good evening.

Ms. Mary Matilda and I will be in Creede Colorado this next week camping out with some friends of ours who live in Colorado Springs...

...anyway, they have one of these and love it:

Trail Manor

Thanks for the posts OKB and Nellie!

Nellie, you know you are my heroinne in this trailer pulling, independant shooting woman stuff!

I slept in a fifth wheel at Wimpy's party last weekend. They sure are nifty. So much space without the extra length behind the vehicle.

Hubby is still talking about a truck. I think a double axle is better too. I would love to take Teeders with me; but, it is easier for him to stay home with Hubby. I really don't need much room and better gas mileage is good.

I have a few more RV dealers I want to go to. With all the stories on the news about bed bugs, I think I want a new one.

:wub:

Allie

Now I realize that I am a wide body, but the way the shoe horn the stools in alot of those units look like they'd be uncomfortable for a 'normal' sized person (whatever that is) and just flat wouldn't work for a lot of folks.

I reckon if'n I ever manage to get one, I'll either have to get them to custom build it, or rip out the cabinets in the bathroom area and reposition things.

That shorty 5th wheel is kinda cool, I'd not seen one of those before.

Grizz

Miss Allie, I have been following this tread from the start and I have to tell you you and me are in 2 different mind sets when it come to trailers and such and there is nothing wrong with that, yours is the better one according to my wife. My Wife thinks the same way as you about trailers and things. Me when I look at a lot of thingsno every thing the first thing the goes throw my mind is, Hmm how can I do to modify fill in the blank to better suit my needs. I have been a carpenter for close to 25 years and a horseshoer for almost as long. So in my case I would to find the cheapest trailer I could, then modify it the way I want it. No I am not suggesting to you to do what I would and yes my wonderful wife often tells me no to modifying things.

Nellie makes a good point, a small 5th wheel trailer will pull better, maneuver better, easier to hook up.

The only thing with a 5th wheel for me, is you obviously lose the pickup bed for hauling when pulling the trailer, so if you want to take an ATV or golf cart, you're back to a larger toy hauler 5th wheel I guess.

Anyone know of any shorty toy hauler 5th wheels?

Now I realize that I am a wide body, but the way the shoe horn the stools in alot of those units look like they'd be uncomfortable for a 'normal' sized person (whatever that is) and just flat wouldn't work for a lot of folks.

I reckon if'n I ever manage to get one, I'll either have to get them to custom build it, or rip out the cabinets in the bathroom area and reposition things.

That shorty 5th wheel is kinda cool, I'd not seen one of those before.

Grizz

Grizz, that is doable. In our RV, the bathroom sink was next to unusable (I brushed my teeth in the kitchen sink). If it and the cabinet had been removed, it would have been much better to use the... :blush:

Shoer, believe it or not I'm in the "okay to modify some things" camp. None of these small trailers carry enough water or have a generator. So, I'm planning on carrying extra water, a pump, a generator, an inverter (we still have one from the RV), and a portable black water tank (hope I don't need it and will use the portas at the match).

On my trip to and back from Oregon this weekend, a 14 hour RT that included a major recreation area (Shasta Lake), I saw many RVs and trailers. The majority were either 5th wheels or big busses towing a car. I figure these configurations are popular for a reason.

Allie

Hi Allie!

U asked, how much time do you spend in a trailer??? How much time is spent in the room at the convention! Not really all that much...

We searched up and down Cali for what was appealing to us, Stiers in Bakersfield had killer deals!

Believe it or not Sweet tooth made the choice for us!

Still need to road trip up your way, do you guys have hookups at the range or is it dry camping? might be another thing to look at!

Hi TH,

Our range (and every other one we took the RV to) is dry. Since then, I've been to a rare few with hook ups. So, that is definately something I've considered.

Love to see you. I always shoot the first Saturday and, now, plan on shooting WB on the third Saturday.

Hope to see you!

AM

Eamon, it's been too long!

AM

Hey Allie,

Yes it has. It's still difficult getting out that way as I'm still working on Saturdays. We (Dar Dar and me) were thinking about me taking a day off for the August shoot, but she thinks it's still a bit too hot. We'll think about October or November.

EC

Eamon,

I won't be at The Outlaws in August anyway. I'm going to a wedding.

Hope to see you and Dar when it gets cooler.

AM

Yore finally gettin" hitched? ;) Just foolin' with ya'. :D

I don't feel so bad about missing the August shoot as you won't be there

EC

If Eamon comes over and I get a weekend off and come over and well allie would be there and... Well that would be a most rightous weekend! TOO MUCH FUN!!!

• 3 weeks later...

PS Here is a layout I loved! Look here.

Ask the manufacture to replace the side sofa with floor to ceiling closets. Under the window shelf for eating, perhaps drawers too? Then the dinette can be left as a full time bed?

Ask the manufacture to replace the side sofa with floor to ceiling closets. Under the window shelf for eating, perhaps drawers too? Then the dinette can be left as a full time bed?

Hi MD,

Interesting. However, I'm fine with a sofa for sleeping. Also, asking for modifications that I don't really need :unsure: add more to the cost.

Regards,

AM

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure how well I'd fit in this thing, but if money was no object (yeah right) and I wanted something small for just me to travel to Cowboy matches, THIS THING might fit the bill. Might have to two a small trailer but it looks like it could handle it.

Archived