SASS Wire Forum

Small Travel Trailers

Miss Allie, they both have a very good reputation (I was shopping a year or so ago and did a little research on both). I wound up with a Jayco Feather-Lite, but at 21', it is bigger than your needs. I'm surprised there is no Casita dealer in your area.

Best of luck and good hunting!

+1 on the Jayco Featherlite. Ours is 19.9 It pull very easily with my Dodge 5.2 4X4.

That size is good for a long weekend shoot. If I had to live in it--too small.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used a Lance for 5-6 years. They go on the bed of your truck. Worked OK for us for a long time.

The shower and stool was together like most small camper.

But even as big as I am/was. (was 320 at the time)

It worked OK. Small, but do-able.

We traded it in about 8-9 months ago for a 30 foot travel trailer.

But that Lance sure did the job for a long time.

Hey!

You folks are great!

We are seriously considering purchasing a used 1/2 ton 4wd PU. Hubby's vehicle (Wrangler) is getting older. Hubby looked at a Silverado yesterday. The only thing we don't like is that it has a longer bed. I still want 15' or less trailer. I may consider 16'; but no more.

Shadow Catcher, the A-liner doesn't have a shower. Windy, ditto teardrops. Also, closet space is an issue with my bulky costumes.

Yep, Russ. Hubby and I have talked about the issues with stopping being more of a problem than with towing.

eGG, I know what you mean about the bed. The queen in our RV only had a corner access space and the rest was wedged between two walls. I started sleeping in a fleece zip sack with extra blankets as needed instead of trying to change sheets. Hubby slept where the table was. The refrigerator is an issue too. With the Trillium, I can upgrade to a larger refrigerator/freezer. Also, I am not liking the stories of leaks. I thought the Casitas were better than that. I do like the layout of the Freedom though.

Good points Jack and I will heed them. Hence, the talk about buying a truck.

Dave, they are quite expensive; but some of the larger trailers have nice bathrooms now with corner showers.

Thank you again.

:wub:

Allie

with your bulky costumes have you consider a 35'fifth wheel with a 1 ton truck, lol :D

Here is something else you will need to consider Miss Allie(first and foremost is always stopping power long before pulling power), the longer the tow vehicle the harder it will be to back up, yes you will have to back it up sooner or later

Allie Mo (no e),

You're getting a lot of good advice here, but then what else would you expect from the Saloon(ACS).

Please reconsider the short bed truck. There will come a time (if you use a truck for what it was meant for)that you will wish that you had the long bed because what you just put into it doesn't fit and you have to leave the tailgate down or the material sticking out above the tailgate and sliding back and forth with every turn. Plus the longer wheel base is a smoother ride.

Just my 2¢, but you did ask...

Cascade Charlie

Howdy Allie

We have been using a 16 foot Capri Micro by Coachman for a couple years now. Listed weight of 2500# with 40 gal of water. With all our stuff in it it usually weighs about 3000 #. While we could pull it with a 2002 Isuzu Trooper (V6) a cross wind would shove us around pretty good. (Never really felt comfortable at highway speed) When we pull with a Nissan Titan much more stable. Big fridge, A/C, microwave, table into bed thing, separate shower/toilet etc. cuz I move a lot we made an extension for the bed and it is now comfortable for two + 2 dogs. had to give up 3 small cupboards but gained the upper bunk for storage. Bought used (2007 model) from a rental place and looked brand new inside for $5K.

Deals are out there if ya look.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Gateway Kid - Are you coming over to this side of the hill for the Pawnee Station Annual in August? If you had the time, you could shoot that one weekend, then pull the trailer to Lake George and shoot the Badger Mtn Range war the next weekend.

Grizz

Out of curiosity I checked here on Craigs list for trailers, I seen some pretty good deals, must be out of work or needing the money pretty bad, always thought I wanted a trailer to go to shoots, my problem is no place to store it without paying a place to store it and another thing is I'm CHEAP, don't want to put out that kind of money, g/f says I squeak when I walk, LOL.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I have a truck, short box, 4 wheel drive with the V-8, but from what I have been told, I still have to watch what trailer to buy if I was in the market

Years ago my sister and I went in on a Dolphin RV. We stored it at my house because I was the only one with the room. Part of the reason we got it was so mom could use it. Well, after a couple of years mom had used it alot, which was fine, sister had used it alot which was also fine, I had barely used it at all, yet, I was the one who wound up taking care of the maintenance, plates, insurance, etc etc. Finally sold it. Sure would have been nice for matches now...

Then I got a cabover pop up truck camper, figured it would be good for camping with the family, 2 large adults, two kids, and a dog do not fit well even just at night to sleep. Other than the lack of a shower, that would have been OK for just me at matches. Sold it and that truck after a few years when we needed he money to replace Miz Grizz's van.

After those two, I'll have to think long and hard before getting another camper. While I now have a use for one, with money being super tight, it would come down to how often I would really use it, vs. cost, and convenience of just being able to drive an econobox to the match and stay in a hotel. Don't get the fun of staying on the range, but...

Kid, I saw a Capri with a layout I liked; but they are mighty heavy.

Dave, trust me, you would not like getting in and out of that bed. That is the type that was in our RV. Note the tiny corner access. You need a bed with access from both sides. Also, staying in a hotel is not near as fun as staying at the range. The only plus, to me, is the ability to take really long showers. If you are seeing a theme here, it's true I have a shower fixation.

AM

eGG, I know what you mean about the bed. The queen in our RV only had a corner access space and the rest was wedged between two walls. I started sleeping in a fleece zip sack with extra blankets as needed instead of trying to change sheets. Hubby slept where the table was. The refrigerator is an issue too. With the Trillium, I can upgrade to a larger refrigerator/freezer. Also, I am not liking the stories of leaks. I thought the Casitas were better than that. I do like the layout of the Freedom though.

Allie

Allie,

Anything with windows, roof vents, AC on the roof, TV or radio antennae, etc. will leak someday. That is why Calico rejected any sort of slide-out when we were looking at 17 to 19' units. What we did not have with the Casita was a drip catcher under the rear window, like on some thicker walled units. The rear window on the Casita is a gasketed single pane that has condensation dripping, even when it does not leak. But the ROOF never leaked or threatened any dampness.

I say these things, and yet I am still very fond of that Casita! But I recommend the 17' over the 16' for the larger fridge and real freezer for ICE CREAM!

eGG

Gateway Kid - Are you coming over to this side of the hill for the Pawnee Station Annual in August? If you had the time, you could shoot that one weekend, then pull the trailer to Lake George and shoot the Badger Mtn Range war the next weekend.

Grizz

Hoping to but at the moment funds are tight. Won't be able to do both for certain and am in consultation with SWMBO as to which I can attend :mellow:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Allie, err on the side of a bigger truck rather than a smaller. I bought the Jayco to pull behind my Ford F150 V-6. The truck would do it but it was an effort. Any type of headwind and you may as well park it.

I'd go for an equivalent to the old 350 Cu In engine in a 4x4. Look at the deisels after 2002. The Dodges get great mileage with the trailer.

Allie, i just bought a 88 Fleetwood Yukon, 15 fter, for less than $2500. Hard to get used to after a 37 ft fifth wheel....

Jayco makes the Swift slx in 14, 15 and 18 footers, the 18 is my favorite, 10 grand with taxes, the other two are a grand less.

LIL Suzy makes a really neat unit, over 16 grand tho, look em up...

they're out there.

cheyenne

Thanks again for your posts.

Cheyenne, thanks for the reminder. I really do need to check out used now that I have an idea about the models. Hubby says with the weight of the Jayco, I would need a 3/4 ton truck and he only wants to buy a 1/2 ton.

Noz, Hubby is looking for a truck with sufficient HP to tow. Also, I am hoping to stick with a short, light trailer. From past experience, with our 24 ft. RV, I don't spend much time inside. Nor do I do more than microwave a simple meal and make coffee.

Matthew, Hubby already has plans for a gun box.

AM

Thanks again for your posts.

Cheyenne, thanks for the reminder. I really do need to check out used now that I have an idea about the models. Hubby says with the weight of the Jayco, I would need a 3/4 ton truck and he only wants to buy a 1/2 ton.

Noz, Hubby is looking for a truck with sufficient HP to tow. Also, I am hoping to stick with a short, light trailer. From past experience, with our 24 ft. RV, I don't spend much time inside. Nor do I do more than microwave a simple meal and make coffee.

Matthew, Hubby already has plans for a gun box.

AM

Allie Mo, check that Jayco again. They make plenty of trailers that are pullable with a 1/2 ton. You won't need to go up to a 3/4 ton until the trailer is quite a bit bigger. ;)

Allie, the Jayco Swifts are towable easily with a 1/2 ton. the 18 ft is the heaviest at 2600 lbs. Look em up on Jaycos site.

The other I mentioned is a Lil Snoozy. Look em up too, they are really neat....

I tow mine which weighs around 3000 wet with a Buick Rendezvous.

Good Luck

cheyenne :lol:

As I stated in my post above, I'm not looking for a trailer at least yet, but I have friends that do, and with my short box step side/sport side, 4X4, V-8, 295 HP, I still would have to watch what trailer I bought according to them, just can't pull everything out there, to hard on the truck and motor, work it to death and get bad mileage, they all have 3/4 ton pickups and the horsepower and they have the toy hauler for the bikes, harleys of course. And by the way my truck is a 2005 1/2 ton chevy, the last year of the step/sport side, 6 foot box which serves me just right, I keep telling my dealer when is chevy coming back out with the sport/step side, don't know, let me know when and I will trade along with 4 other people that I know. Mine only has around 30,000 miles on it and my dealer wants it bad for some reason.

Allie, I think you are on the right track from what I have seen you post, you have did your research, which is a good thing, most people go out and buy a trailer and wonder why the vehicle won't pull it, keep looking and reading and you will find what you want, think used if at all possible, there are some good bargains out there, at least here there is with people out of work, foreclosures, etc etc, some are just not into camping anymore, the one trailer I seen sounded really nice and the pics look good, her husband died and she is not interested anymore.

All for now JD Trampas

Hey Cheyenne,

Thanks! I'm not loving the Jayco, I already have checked their site. I hadn't seen the Lil Snoozy. It's rather cool. Hope I don't have to go to NC to get one though.

JD, your truck sounds perfect. I sure wouldn't get rid of it with only 30,000 on it.

Thanks again folks!

A<

Hi again,

I've turned my search to the pickup (thoughts on that are on another thread).

The next time I go to Sacramento and have time, I will check out some of the trailer dealers in person. I'm beginning to think that finding a trailer is way easier than finding a truck. :unsure:

Thank you for all your comments.

Regards,

Allie

Trailers will be Miss Allie, trailers are a luxury items and Trucks are more of an necessity and get used more.

G'day Wallaby,

:wub: back at cha!

I love the layout of the Rockwood 181 and 184. However, those are their smallest models and they are > 18'. Also, I'm really liking the thought of streamlined moulded fiberglass. Less places to leak. Our RV ended up leaking.

Thank you anyway!

AM

I bought a Rockwood 18 footer last fall.The main reason I chose that over some others was the "loaded" weight.With full propane tanks and fresh water tank(holds 36.5gallons of fresh water)was 3285.Most others in that length were over 4000lbs.Yes it has AC,microwave,3 burner stove with oven and a seperate shower in a corner bathroom.Finding a 15 or 16 foot trailer with other than bunk beds or one of those stuck in a corner beds was scarcer than hens teeth,so went with the 18 instead.

In the late 60's my parents bought a used 16" Frolic. It was okay for 3 people for the weekend but that was all. We pulled it to Florida from Virginia with a '71 Pontiac Catalina. Then that got too small and Dad bought a 23' Prowler. This was much better. They traveled to Pennsylvania to the Lancaster County area about 4 weeks of the year. Dad worked for Safeway food stores. In the mid 80's he traded this in on a 33" or 35" Prowler. He pulled it with a Dodge pickup. That just did not have enough power. He then bought an '86 Suburban with a 454 & 456 rear. Power was no problem. He died in 1994 and Mom had no interest in camping at that point. So, we sold Suburban & Prowler. The one thing they learned is DO NOT GET ONE TOO SMALL. Get a Capt' Baylor camper (coach).

Shenny

Allie, try these....

Takena by Chalet

Ta@Da by Dutchman

Scamp 13'

The trouble with the small trailers is that when you go below 20" the price goes up again.

When I become a man of leisure I will get one of the Takena trailers. They are a great value for the $$.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Just found these as well in San Diego>>

Burro Trailers

Neighbors found one on Craigslist. Lil one bed bumper pull, with kitchen, A/C-heat, one bed and full bath. Think its a 14'. List brand new at around $10-12,000. They got it for $4,000.

Allie....One thing you HAVE to remember is no matter what size you get with-in reason,LONG showers are not going to happen unless you tow an extra water trailer along too.You'd be surprised how fast a 30-40 gallon water tank is used up when you start taking showers,even with the wet down...soap up...rinse off method.Plus it gets used for making your morning coffee (or tea)and dish washing...toilet use.2 of us used it for our 4 day State shoot a week ago and with showers,dishes,coffee etc,I had to add a 6 gallon water can to it for the last day.And my camper has a 36.5 gallon tank.

Allie....One thing you HAVE to remember is no matter what size you get with-in reason,LONG showers are not going to happen unless you tow an extra water trailer along too.You'd be surprised how fast a 30-40 gallon water tank is used up when you start taking showers,even with the wet down...soap up...rinse off method.Plus it gets used for making your morning coffee (or tea)and dish washing...toilet use.2 of us used it for our 4 day State shoot a week ago and with showers,dishes,coffee etc,I had to add a 6 gallon water can to it for the last day.And my camper has a 36.5 gallon tank.

Thanks Charlie!

I know of what you speak. We had an RV. We still have the four water "jugs" we took to provide sufficient showering capacity. As I cannot lift them and Bud will not be available to help me at every match ;), we will get a pump for moving water from the jugs to the tanks. I also know how to take a "spit bath." :blink:;)

Regards,

AM

Hi Allie!

We did the search when Sweet tooth sally was a little one!

I got rid of my 1/2 ton dodge since the tow capacity was not real high, ok, maybe I was still in the bigger is better stage! :lol:

Picked up an 03 chevy with the diesel, towing is not much of an issue!

we ended up going to a 5th wheel that just had a very home like feel. Is it too big? yep!!! For just the 3 of us. Is it fun and relaxing? Yep!

Now if work would co-operate on some time off!!!

I want to come up that way and play!!!

Hope you find everything you are looking for!

Allie , I have a smallish trailer , the actual living part is 17 ft. , it is 22 ft rear bumper to end of tongue. Has a little different floor-plan than most. The queen-size bed is on a lift system that raises it up out of the way to make room for table and seating area. Hard to descibe , but works well. It is a Wanderer by Thor , model 161L. Not absolutely sure it would be suitable for a 1/2 ton , but it is a handy size.

And let me say , I would agree with all who have said before , if you can possibly change your stance on the short-bed truck , do so. Long bed will ride better , handle better , and be more stable pulling anything you hook it to.

Good luck in your search , Rex :D

Archived