SASS Wire Forum

Small Travel Trailers

Hi Folks,

I spent yesterday researching small travel trailers , <15'. After all, the Wire was down and I needed my Web fix.

So far, I like the Trillium and Casita best. The Safari Alto is too cool; but their Website said Canada only.

I must have a restroom with a shower (preferably separated from the toilet), refrigerator with freezer, AC, heater, microwave. A table or sofa that makes a bed is fine.

Anyway, do any of you have recommendations? Do you know anything about those?

Thanks for any help!

Allie Mo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Ma'am

:wub:

Have a look at the Rockwood range out of Ohio ...... you might, or might not, like them.

....... (these are the only American units that I know anything about, and I know nothing about them)

I have had a little bit to do with converting them to be "Australian-ised"

...... wbj ..

Hi Folks,

I spent yesterday researching small travel trailers , <15'. After all, the Wire was down and I needed my Web fix.

So far, I like the Trillium and Casita best. The Safari Alto is too cool; but their Website said Canada only.

I must have a restroom with a shower (preferably separated from the toilet), refrigerator with freezer, AC, heater, microwave. A table or sofa that makes a bed is fine.

Thanks for any help!

Allie Mo

Maybe you've already done this but there are several questions you need to answer before you start looking at trailers.

1) What are you going to tow it with?

2) What is the calculated tow rating of the vehicle, not what the manufacturer says it is.

3) How often are you going to use it and for what purpose (4 season cross country, local full hook ups, dry camping etc.)

4) How long do you plan on staying in it, weekend, weeks at a time?

You've seen our rig. We researched this for a while before we purchased it. If you want to chat about it, drop me a PM or e:mail and I'll give you my cell#.

Good luck!!

G'day Wallaby,

:wub: back at cha!

I love the layout of the Rockwood 181 and 184. However, those are their smallest models and they are > 18'. Also, I'm really liking the thought of streamlined moulded fiberglass. Less places to leak. Our RV ended up leaking.

Thank you anyway!

AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for any help!

Allie Mo

Allie . . . are you shopping for one that is new and nice ? Or one that is cheap and functional ? There are tons of RVs, and trailers sitting around these days that are going really cheap as folks that "had to have one" are now out of work, about to loose their home, etc., etc.

Maybe you've already done this but there are several questions you need to answer before you start looking at trailers.

1) What are you going to tow it with?

2) What is the calculated tow rating of the vehicle, not what the manufacturer says it is.

3) How often are you going to use it and for what purpose (4 season cross country, local full hook ups, dry camping etc.)

4) How long do you plan on staying in it, weekend, weeks at a time?

You've seen our rig. We researched this for a while before we purchased it. If you want to chat about it, drop me a PM or e:mail and I'll give you my cell#.

Good luck!!

Hi Kris,

I created an Excel spreadsheet with all the details. This is my second time around, we had an RV. So, that helped me decide what I used and needed.

A 15' trailer is about the size of the house part of our RV. Also, I am trying to keep it light to tow with a Jeep Liberty. The Trillium and Casita fit the bill. The biggest problem with Casitas is no one gets rid of them and I would have to go to TX to get it or have it shipped sight unseen to me. The Trillium I can take a look at when I go to the Convention. They have a dealer in LV and tThey are made in Irvine, CA.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Allie

Miss Allie, they both have a very good reputation (I was shopping a year or so ago and did a little research on both). I wound up with a Jayco Feather-Lite, but at 21', it is bigger than your needs. I'm surprised there is no Casita dealer in your area.

Best of luck and good hunting!

Allie . . . are you shopping for one that is new and nice ? Or one that is cheap and functional ? There are tons of RVs, and trailers sitting around these days that are going really cheap as folks that "had to have one" are now out of work, about to loose their home, etc., etc.

Hi Wolfy,

I'm open to used. Our RV was immaculate and had extremely low mileage at eight years. A used trailer is less troublesome than an RV due to the lack of a vehicle.

I'm waiting for a quote from the Trillium folks for everything I want in their new one. I already know the Casita price, $13,995. Cheaper than that is better.

Hubby seems on board with it. I don't know what possessed him. He even went to look at a used truck today. Very cool gold 2006 Silverado with everything I like. His vehicle needs work and it might be time to replace it.

I did look online at used trailers yesterday and did not find what I'm looking for. However, with the truck, I could go up a bit in length and weight.

Thanks for the post!

AM

Just passed the Casita place the other day. They had lots of them sitting out.

Come on down to Texas about Comin At'Cha time.

Get the Casita and shoot Comin At'Cha with us.

Then you can get the little camper that you know you want.

AND shoot a match that you have been wanting to shoot anyway.

Miss Allie, they both have a very good reputation (I was shopping a year or so ago and did a little research on both). I wound up with a Jayco Feather-Lite, but at 21', it is bigger than your needs. I'm surprised there is no Casita dealer in your area.

Best of luck and good hunting!

Hi Red,

One of my co-workers (it was 2003 when he retired) researched travel trailers and told me he was going to Texas to get his as there are no dealers. I just Googled and didn't find any either.

Even if we get the truck, I do not want or need anything longer than about 15'.

Thanks for your post!

AM

Hi Kris,

I created an Excel spreadsheet with all the details. This is my second time around, we had an RV. So, that helped me decide what I used and needed.

A 15' trailer is about the size of the house part of our RV. Also, I am trying to keep it light to tow with a Jeep Liberty. The Trillium and Casita fit the bill. The biggest problem with Casitas is no one gets rid of them and I would have to go to TX to get it or have it shipped sight unseen to me. The Trillium I can take a look at when I go to the Convention. They have a dealer in LV and tThey are made in Irvine, CA.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Allie

Please Miss Allie do not try and buy a trailer and pull it with a Jeep Liberty.

Just passed the Casita place the other day. They had lots of them sitting out.

Come on down to Texas about Comin At'Cha time.

Get the Casita and shoot Comin At'Cha with us.

Then you can get the little camper that you know you want.

AND shoot a match that you have been wanting to shoot anyway.

Hee, hee!

I Google mapped Rice, TX (Casita) to English yesterday. So, I guess you know me better than one would expect from an online friendship. ;)

Regards,

AM

Hee, hee!

I Google mapped Rice, TX (Casita) to English yesterday. So, I guess you know me better than one would expect from an online friendship. ;)

Regards,

AM

It's probably around 3 1/2 hours from the Casita place to T-Bones. That's not far. Atleast not in Texas terms.

Pick it up before CAC. Then camp in it while there. A good test run so to speak.

Then IF there was anything wrong or any problems that might need fixed. You are not that far

from them to run it back up there and get taken care of before you head home.

Just a thought.

As we would love to see ya there.

Please Miss Allie do not try and buy a trailer and pull it with a Jeep Liberty.

Awww! How sweet of you to worry.

I read my Liberty's booklet. I have a transmission cooler and would get the heavy-duty hitch kit if I use it. That would, according to Jeep, allow me to pull a trailer of a certain weight.

I also read the Casita Club owners forum and it seems the Liberty is adequate.

However, hubby is thinking about replacing his vehicle with something better suited to pulling a trailer. He even looked at a truck today. The only thing we didn't like about it is it is not a short bed. So, the tow vehicle is still to be determined.

I really hope to have this in place before the shooting season starts in 2012 (Winter Range :unsure: ).

Regards,

AM

I wish Casita had a dealer newtwork. Like you, I don't like the thought of ordering sight unseen. That said, every Casita owner is a dealer, and gets something like $25.00 if they talk you into buying one. I know you've said 15 foot, but the 17' Casita is still a very small trailer. It doesn't have a dry bathroom though, you have to put out the toilet paper before taking a shower. Still not a bad thing, you can sit on the toilet and wash your feet. Or if the urge strikes while you're in the shower, well, the toilet is right there.

The biggest drawback to any small trailer is lack of fresh water, gray water, and blackwater storage. I've got a 21' camper and the fresh water tank is only 20 gallons. The wife and I had to have it refilled three times at EOT last year.

Another drawback is the single axle. Double axle trailers pull much better, especially in crosswinds. And of course, you have limited storage for guns and stuff.

Have you looked at the R-Pod campers? I probably would have bought one of them if I'd seen it before I bought my Innsbrook. http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?nav=rec&page=rpod

Allie, go this year, I'll be there!

I'd love to have a trailer so I could camp on the range for SASS matches. but several things hold me back...

$$$$$

Lack of Grizz sized indoor outhouse and shower. And I gotta have a shower every morning or nobody would want to posse with me.

Another consideration for dry camping anyway is that I'd need 110v thru the night to run a CPAP machine. I'd imagine with a generator to run during the day, and a couple of big batteries that would be worked around though.

To me, it makes sense to tow a trailer to a match if you only have to drive about 8 hours to get there. Any more than that and either you'd need to stay longer to make it worthwhile, or it would make more sense to drive a car that got better mileage and stay in a motel. Not to mention you can't make as good of time towing a trailer.

Of course my dream is to win the lottery and buy a nice small to midsize RV, tow a car, and drive from match to match to match.

How bout some pics and links to these trailers you all are talking about so we can dream along with ya?

Hi Pulp, Yep, I looked at R-Pod. In fact, they sell them here; a friend (cowboy) just bought one. The smallest is > 16', which is longer and heavier than I want. Also, I did not like the restroom.

Thanks Jack.

Grizz, nothing is like staying on the range. I learned that after my first annual. We had the RV before I attended another one. Grizz, you need an inverter to quietly run your breathing machine.

Hubby said we could put our four seven-gallon water jugs (we used to take them in the RV) and a pump in the pick up bed. I used to take two showers a day when we had the RV. Also, we would buy a quiet generator and we still have our inverter that we used in the RV.

I'm looking at the 15' Trillium with the front restroom, shown here or the Casita Patriot Deluxe 13' shown here.

Thanks for your comments!

AM

I've been looking at getting a small trailer too. I found a forum that might be of some use. http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/ Hope it helps.

Thank you Dorado. I found this similar site useful. After recording the brands, I looked at the manufacturer's sites.

As I insist on a shower, I didn't see any suitable teardrops.

Some of the other small trailers (besides Casita and TrilliumRV) you might check are Scamp, Burro, Taylor, Eggcamper, and R-Pod.

Regards,

AM

Sonething LIte

Miz Allie

How about something like that?? Bob "All Hat" has a real pretty red one...

Seriously,

If you are lookin at something fairly light, most of the time you are going to have a combo...my Komfort 19L had a setup where you could sit on the toilet, brush your teeth in the sink and shower all at the same time..But it was surpisingly comfortable. I kept it until it was falling down around me. I then got a neat used 19' Wilderness that was IDEAL. even had a bathtub to please GramaPhyllis. unfortunalty on first trip out a bolt snapped and trailer came up off the hitch...long story short it fishtailed on hwy 99 just outta Bakersfield and flipped into a ditch. truck stayed rite side up and safety chains were still intact. Paramedics #1 couldnt believe the truck didn't flip too and #2 they were amazed we were not killt....let alone not a scratch. It was our dream trailer in pieces at the side of the road. All from a 10cent bolt...

anyways good luck and show us pix as you go along..

love Curley and GramaPhyllis

Hi Allie,

A friend in town recently purchased a Casita trailer. Not sure what length? They tow it with a Dodge Durango. I could get their phone number if you would like to visit with them about their trailer?

Many of the smaller trailers do not separate the shower and toilet as you want so moving up to a pickup and slightly larger unit may work better for you?

Good luck with your search.

Kid Kneestone

Curly, the teardrops I saw online are too small (other than the Canada only one) and have no shower.

Thanks, Kid. I wish you weren't so far away. Yep, that shower toilet combo is not what I'd prefer. However, the Trillium and Casita seem to be a bit larger.

Thanks again!

AM

Casitas are high quality. I have friends that swear by them.

The Casita Freedom 17 ft looks good to me. Would leave the dinette booth made into a bed, and still have a chair to sit in. Still, don't know that the stool and shower would work for a wide body like me.

Hi A-mo... those sure are cute little buggers. I've been searching for some time now on EBAY, Craiglist and several RV sites for the unit of my dreams. My needs are different than yours, however, the search is interesting and enhanced by a Craigslist search crawler "Craigspal".

Google it.. it's a free download. Once installed it allows you to search EVERY country, state, city for exactly what you're looking for as well as filter that search down to those items that are specific to your needs.

For example, I search TOY HAULER in RECREATIONAL VEHICLES using Advanced Search in all states/cities around CO. Then add "5th wheel" and then add the years or model numbers/names/brands that interest you.

It takes less time than it took me to type that (I'm new so I only use two fingers.) You'll be amazed at the price/selection/availability/options etc.

My champagne tastes and beer budget haven't reconciled themselves yet. :wacko:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for any help!

Allie Mo

Here's what I'm fixing to buy: Aliner

Jones-ing for one, just gotta get a truck first - this will follow!

SC

I have friend that has one of these teardrop trailers that he pulls with a MINI Cooper S countryman... he even takes it out into the backwoods of Maine Logging roads to remote senic spots where he sets up and paints watercolors... says it pulls just fine with his new MINI countryman but the mini he had when he bought it (the base model Cooper with about 140hp) lacked grunt in the hills but the 190hp Cooper S does just fine he got it when he was stationed in the UK and brought it back to the US when he retired but there may be a similar tiny trailer for sale in the US as I saw a teardrop like them being pulled along RT 1 last week by one of the new version VW beetles

he is a single camper though so it may be too small for a couple

http://littleguy.co.uk/

Yup Here is A US Company

http://www.minitears.com/

Turns out there are lots of US outfits that make em

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/teardrop-history.php

G'day Wallaby,

:wub: back at cha!

I love the layout of the Rockwood 181 and 184. However, those are their smallest models and they are > 18'. Also, I'm really liking the thought of streamlined moulded fiberglass. Less places to leak. Our RV ended up leaking.

Thank you anyway!

AM

Hey, Allie Mo ~

Calico & I travelled in a 16' Casita for about 6 years, living in it for up to three weeks at a time (generally two weeks).

I really enjoyed the aerodynamics, and the fact that I could pull into ANYWHERE and still be able to get out. We had the Freedom Deluxe and used the rear dinette for our bed - left it as a bed 24/7. Under that bed we used 4 plastic hanging file folder boxes for her clothes, his clothes, dirty clothes and dry food stuffs. Four boxes fit under there nicely.

The down sides?

It was hard to make the bed. Very little access to do so.

The shower is in combo with the toilet area, but we only used the shower a couple of times, preferring to use the showers at campgrounds.

The fridge/freezer was inadequate ~ the one in the 17' model is better.

Not enough closet for one person's CAS outfit. Though we did go to many matches with this as our main abode.

Not leak-proof. The rear window seal, over my wife's side of the bed, of course, leaked. After a year of living wet on a sailboat, Calico rather objected to being wet yet again. Picky....

I did like having the A/C unit under the closet instead of on the roof. One less place to leak.

Two people could not move simultaneously. One had to sit while the other dressed.

The AWNING could NOT be operated by one person! It was an engineering nightmare!

We had gone from a 27' fifth wheel (too big), to a pop-up camper (too noisy in the wind, couldn't sleep), to the Casita (just right for a couple of years), and now have a 19' Skyline Nomad Ultra Light, with a walk-around bed, full fridge/freezer that will keep ice cream frozen during travel, has a bathtub separate from the toilet, and scads of closet space. All pulled with a 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado. This is the rig we will use to explore the US and the Al-Can Highway.

Buena suerte,

eGG

The Casita Freedom 17 ft looks good to me. Would leave the dinette booth made into a bed, and still have a chair to sit in. Still, don't know that the stool and shower would work for a wide body like me.

Not to put too fine a point on it, Grizz, but you are right about the stool & shower....

When we had the Freedom 16, we rather regretted not getting the Spirit 17 for the storage under the seats and the larger fridge/freezer.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Not to put too fine a point on it, Grizz, but you are right about the stool & shower....

When we had the Freedom 16, we rather regretted not getting the Spirit 17 for the storage under the seats and the larger fridge/freezer.

Buena suerte,

eGG

LOL, yeah, I suspect I would find that same problem with most RVs and trailers.

Allie, just a couple things... regardless of the unit you buy, get a truck. I listened to a lot of people that swore I could comfortably tow my Featherlight with a Trailblazer and they were wrong. It's definitely not comfortable, the wheelbase is too short and the feeling over 50 miles per hour is very unstable... towing power is fine, stability is not.

Also, the R-pod is king of small units around here... the floorplans are very cool in the 17 and 18' models.

Cassidy

Hey!

You folks are great!

We are seriously considering purchasing a used 1/2 ton 4wd PU. Hubby's vehicle (Wrangler) is getting older. Hubby looked at a Silverado yesterday. The only thing we don't like is that it has a longer bed. I still want 15' or less trailer. I may consider 16'; but no more.

Shadow Catcher, the A-liner doesn't have a shower. Windy, ditto teardrops. Also, closet space is an issue with my bulky costumes.

Yep, Russ. Hubby and I have talked about the issues with stopping being more of a problem than with towing.

eGG, I know what you mean about the bed. The queen in our RV only had a corner access space and the rest was wedged between two walls. I started sleeping in a fleece zip sack with extra blankets as needed instead of trying to change sheets. Hubby slept where the table was. The refrigerator is an issue too. With the Trillium, I can upgrade to a larger refrigerator/freezer. Also, I am not liking the stories of leaks. I thought the Casitas were better than that. I do like the layout of the Freedom though.

Good points Jack and I will heed them. Hence, the talk about buying a truck.

Dave, they are quite expensive; but some of the larger trailers have nice bathrooms now with corner showers.

Thank you again.

Allie

Archived