SASS Wire Forum

HENRY TROUBLES

GPG

While waiting for the 1873 to get here that I bought while being paitent with my bib boy the new bolt showed up from the good folks from Henry out in New Jersey. I worked the bolt that the good folks at Henry forgot to put the firing pin in out and put the new part in with some elbow grease. After re-assembly the action was very stiff so I took the new bolt back out and sanded the surfaces that were coated or anodized and found a machine surface that was not smooth so I continued the sanding until smooth and after re-installing found much slicker action than the original bolt that was returned with the rifle on the first trip back to Henry. I would like to see this rifle shoot at least one match in my lifetime and if anyone has any information on the internal workings or knows a gunsmith that has done anything to improve a big boy I would like to visit with him because I just can't find anyone that has worked on one or attempted to improve the action. thanks

Guest diablo slim shootist

While waiting for the 1873 to get here that I bought while being paitent with my bib boy the new bolt showed up from the good folks from Henry out in New Jersey. I worked the bolt that the good folks at Henry forgot to put the firing pin in out and put the new part in with some elbow grease. After re-assembly the action was very stiff so I took the new bolt back out and sanded the surfaces that were coated or anodized and found a machine surface that was not smooth so I continued the sanding until smooth and after re-installing found much slicker action than the original bolt that was returned with the rifle on the first trip back to Henry. I would like to see this rifle shoot at least one match in my lifetime and if anyone has any information on the internal workings or knows a gunsmith that has done anything to improve a big boy I would like to visit with him because I just can't find anyone that has worked on one or attempted to improve the action. thanks

sounds like a job for Dead-eye Dallas.

After he fixes all the pump action rifles

that never worked! ;) their have been a couple

of new guys at our club having problems with

Big Boys. Never seen one work at SASS speeds.

The two fastest things at the clubs in my area are:

#1 several well-known shooters on any stage

#2 the desire of new shooters to replace Henry (US-made) and Winchester 1894's in with Marlins or toggle-action Ubertis.

I believe that the only thing worse than the US companies that chose not to participate in cowboy-action (Winchester, Colt, Remington) are those that did participate poorly (mainly Henry).

Archived