SASS Wire Forum

Bought 1895 Nagant Revolver

Utah Bob posted a few weeks back that Nagant revolvers were starting to show up again and posted a link to a surplus arms site. Well, they were cheap so I went ahead and bought one. It's obviously Utah Bob's fault.

Well, my new gun has arrived at the gunsmith and I am patiently waiting for the 10 day waiting period to pass so I can take possession. I just wanted some advice from other folks who have one of these nifty little guns.

What ammo do you shoot in it? 7.62 x 38 ammo is scarce and a bit expensive. I've found several online sources that swear shooting .32 S&W Long in the little Nagant is perfectly safe. However 7.62mm = .300 inches. Shoving a .311 in. bullet down a .300 in. hole gives me some concern, but perhaps my calculations are incorrect.

Then there are the easily available .32 ACP conversion cylinders. Should that be my next purchase?

Any advice from Nagant owners/shooters would be much appreciated.

Well, in my unbiased opinion your next purchase should be my set of left and right Mernickle Evil Roy style CAS holsters, the first pair Bob ever made for the Nagant revolvers. Let me know and I'll figger out a price.

When I had one, I shot Hot Shot brand Nagant revolver ammo. Made for the gun in Serbia and priced right. Recessed and everything. Used to be about $25 for 50 rounds, probably higher now. Think I got it at Sportsman's Guide. FMJ so not legal for CAS.

Thanks BJ. That's good to hear.

Here's the link, Jed. I must say they were a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=350&name=Russian+M1895+7.62x38R+Nagant+Revolver

Lone Dog, very tempting. :) But if I bought your holsters I'd have to buy another Nagant! However, your post leads to another question. My pistol is double action, so I assume it's not legal for SASS. But what if a gunsmith was able to deactivate the double action function?

I have one of those conversion cylinders, and, mine at least, just doesn't work quite right. Tends to bind when you try to cock the gun.

So, I got the following things...

1. Lee reloading dies for the Nagant caliber.

2. A supply of Starline .32-20 Brass.

3. A supply .312" 100 grain wadcutter bullets.

The dies are not all that expensive. The reason I specify the Starline brass is very simple. Many have posted here that brass from other manufacturers tends to not fit quite right. If I remember correcly, the rim on the Starline brass is just a teeny bit smaller, so it fits better. (That being said, I have made a few rounds with Remmington brass before the Starline arrived for testing, and it worked fine for me) The wadcutter bullets are needed cuz they don't stick out much past the case mouth, which is neccesary cuz a traditional round nose bullet would make the cartridge too long to fit in the chambers. Of course, this ".32-20 Nagant" ammo is shorter than the surplus Russian stuff, so it won't "properly seal" but was there every really a need for that in the first place? I use Trail Boss powder, using their formula for creating loads for which no data exists, and the round I came up with is accurate, with very pleasant recoil, but still has a respectable report.

The Nagant is a weird little pistol by any definition, but it's fun to shoot, SASS Legal, and makes for a great conversation piece. To be very honest, while I am not big on the "matched pair" concept, I would consider picking up another one of these things someday.

Now if we could just get a SASS Legal rifle chambered in this caliber...

What H D Uriah said is right on. Very cheap to load. Works great. I had to raise the front sight on mine as it shot high. Also lightened the main spring for a lighter trigger pull. Just a fun gun to shoot. They are also simple to change to single action by a gunsmith.

Regards

Brownie

Shoot, sold out! Thanks for the link, though, Dog Ears. HK, how are they SASS legal?

Try J&G Sales

... how are they SASS legal?

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

• Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti Stallion,

and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum.

• Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories).

• US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver.

• Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum.

Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.

SHB p.11

Illustrated conversion from DA to SA can be found HERE.

Cool little guns!!

I have a pair of them; shoot single action in SASS, double action in local Wild-Bunch.

Lots of info here http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?18-M1895-NAGANT-Pistol-Collector-Forum

Great takedown info here http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?2531-Dismantling-The-Lockwork-Of-The-Nagant

I shoot 32-20 starline brass and .311 115gr Lyman cast bullets.

I use the Lee Nagant dies to reload my 32-20s.

Head-space variance will dictate which cases you can use….both my pistols worked fine!!

On the right side of the hammer, there is a small screw that holds in the double action bar and spring.

Remove them and you have a single action...take note of direction of spring, for reassembly later.

Good luck with yours!!

BH :D

PS: 7.62 is .308

Archived