SASS Wire Forum

Been away a spell....

Nubbins Colt #7802

Howdy!!!! I've been busy and focused elsewhere....time to get back to some CAS!

Query - Lazy J, my reloading pardner, used to load my .45 Colt ammo with 160 grain lead bullets to a velocity of 600 feet per second, more or less, mostly more, for my old model Vaqueros. He did the same thing velocity-wise for my .44-40 Vaqueros, too, but I am unsure of the bullet weight. My question is two-fold:

What powder/formula can you suggest for the .45 Colt to get to that velocity with those bullets?

What powder/formula can you suggest for the .44-40 and what is the bullet weight that will work to accomplish this?

My new reloading buddy doesn't believe me when I tell him that Lazy J kept me under 700 fps but I know one of y'all can tell me the trick so I can tell him!

Thanks. See you at the range, soon, I hope.

***Nubbins***

PS:

I use the same ammo in my pistols as in my rifles. The velocity is for the pistols, obviously.

Welcome back, Counselor~! ^_^

Wish I could help ya, but I was "guilted" into abandoning those loads some time ago... I'll never forget ol' Snakebite commenting "... that's the dangedest thing I've ever seen...!" after watching my bullets fly downrange, "plunk" off the targets, and just drop to the ground. :blush:

I resisted the suggestions about recycling 'em... "Just load 'em back up!" :rolleyes:

If you shoot 45 or 44 you most likely run into the minimum FPS before you have to worry about the PF. A 160 gr bullet @ 600 fps will be a 96 PF. A 160 @ 400 fps is still a 64 so with a heavy bullet like a 160+ the limiting factor will be velocity not the PF.

So in a nutshell any bullet over 160 grs going over 400 FPS you will be legal.

Hope that helps

NC - sent you an email, as your Personal Message box is full, with a nice little 45 colt load.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, y'all. Been travelin' a little, playin' poker a lot, and just generally misbehaving. I have been shooting but....EEK....modern stuff!

And staying out late every night makes it tough to be anywhere early in the morning!

Appreciate the replies - private messages will be sent.

Message box will be cleared out, too. :rolleyes:

***Nubbins***

Archived