SASS Wire Forum

1895 cowboy (marlin)

GPG

I bought this new Marlin 6-7 years ago and thought it would be more valuable to hold on to and not use as this is what the dealer thought about this model. It is in the 45-70 calibre and if this is nothing speacial for a gun maybe I could add a tang sight and use it for side match long range fun? Anyone have any thoughts on this being a good gun to use for this and any value adding or losing by firing this gun? thanks

GPG, those are horrible guns and you need to get rid of it as fast as possible. They are hazardous to your health! But, in the interest of the Cowboy Way, I will take it off your hands. Send me a PM and I will give you my address so it can be disposed of properly.

I bought this new Marlin 6-7 years ago and thought it would be more valuable to hold on to and not use as this is what the dealer thought about this model. It is in the 45-70 calibre and if this is nothing speacial for a gun maybe I could add a tang sight and use it for side match long range fun? Anyone have any thoughts on this being a good gun to use for this and any value adding or losing by firing this gun? thanks

Bodie Kid SASSL 17377

Bridgepot Vigilantes,CA.

I shoot one with tang sight on it

I have shot it out to 400 yds. and it shoots great

I like the .45/70 round

Bodie Kid

GPG, those are horrible guns and you need to get rid of it as fast as possible. They are hazardous to your health! But, in the interest of the Cowboy Way, I will take it off your hands. Send me a PM and I will give you my address so it can be disposed of properly.

Some good advice there. It stirs me to help as well. I can send you a prepaid mailer so you can get rid of it without having to dip into your wallet.

Thanks for the opportunity to help out.

A good gun to shoot, and RIGHT NOW, it'd be a good gun to sell, if a person had a mind.

The recent teething troubles encountered by Remington as they took over production of Marlin leverguns has created a spike in demand and in prices of new(old stock) marlins. If ya wanna shoot it, shoot it. If ya wanna use it to make money, I'd say go to Gun Broker or even the leverguns websites or SASS classifieds and let er rip.

It was nothing special when it was made, but in comparison to the current production guns, it'd be more prized right now. if a year from now Remington has their act together and new guns are much better, yer gun will drop in cash value compared to now.....

I got into this sport about 3 years ago and went to Gunbroker to look for lever actions. I found the 1894 in 44 mag and 1895 in 45/70 that I was looking for. Each was just over $600. This year my wife decided to dip her toes in the pool so back to Gunbroker. Got an 1894 in 357, but paid $800 this time.

The value of your rifle has gone up just sitting in the safe. But as long as you take care of your investment, which all of our guns are, you can go out and enjoy it/shoot it and still have it appreciate in value.

So much for my two cents.

I have one with a tang sight and it is a good enough shooter with smokeless ammo. I also thing it would make a pretty good deer rifle and could easily be loaded down for game this size. The big down side for me is recoil, it kicks something awful with jacketed factory loads from a bench or other lean well forward type position. I am definitely not the first to make this statement here, specially back when LR side matches were a monthly staple and these were pretty popular guns. Ill keep the Sharps for Cowboy and use the Marlin to put down the occasional mad cow!

I have one with a tang sight and it is a good enough shooter with smokeless ammo. I also thing it would make a pretty good deer rifle and could easily be loaded down for game this size. The big down side for me is recoil, it kicks something awful with jacketed factory loads from a bench or other lean well forward type position. I am definitely not the first to make this statement here, specially back when LR side matches were a monthly staple and these were pretty popular guns. Ill keep the Sharps for Cowboy and use the Marlin to put down the occasional mad cow!

Shoot it, and have fun still will hold it's value, since you don't see many and they pop up on occasion.

KK

Archived