SASS Wire Forum

anyone catch this on the news?

There have been numerous pushes to divide North and South Florida over the years. That will never happen either.

There have been various discussions since at least the 60s about dividing California into two states. A lot of "Northeners" resent all their tax money being sucked into that vortex down south with very little used for local projects. Then there was (is) the Peripheral Canal thing to divert water from the Bay Area to the LA area back in the 70s that recently was discussed again. First I've heard of a SoCalian politician wanting to break away from the north, usually the other way around.

Are we sure they want to be the 51st state and not a northern state of Mexico?

I'm still waiting for mother nature to divide them into a separate continent. I think a great new name for them should then be The Peoples Republic of East China, little doubt this would bring Red China to their knees in very short order. No entity has the cash required to fill that giant hole.

I'd rather split it lengthwise.

I think quarters is better---then we'll have northerners and southerners both with coastal folks [West] and inland folks [East] :lol: and beleive me those 4 types exist in this state...along with a plethora of others

Interesting. First time I'd ever heard of the southern part splitting off though.

More than a few years ago, the northern part wanted to split off and form its own state called, "Jefferson." It actually had some momentum and might have happened.

Then WWII happened and the plans got shelved.

Even so, if it DID happen, I maintain that North California should not call itself Jefferson, but Calisota.

Kudo's to anyone who knows why that name....

The rest of Virginia would love for the counties of Occupied Northern Virginia to secede. We wouldn't miss'em one little bit. They don't like guns, they don't like shooting ranges, hunting or hunters, and they want to suck the rest of the state dry of tax money to fund their never-ending pet road projects.

Where do all the anti gun legistlators live?

Or should i ask where are their districts?

If this were to occur you would have a very conservative Republican pro-gun state.....

Every county suggested is decidedly Republication in every election.

JJJ-D

Interesting. First time I'd ever heard of the southern part splitting off though.

More than a few years ago, the northern part wanted to split off and form its own state called, "Jefferson." It actually had some momentum and might have happened.

Even so, if it DID happen, I maintain that North California should not call itself Jefferson, but Calisota.

The State of Jefferson was also to include parts of Southern Oregon. Some of us SASS members are also in a re-enactors group called the State of Jefferson Vigilance Committee.

I'm guessing Calisota has to do with California and Minnesota. Living in Anaheim next to Disneyland, towns like Duckburg, Mouseton, Spoonerville, mean something to any avid reader of Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey, Louie. Am I getting close here?

Big Jake.......wife works at Disneyland.

don't forget the President said he visited all 57 states but one during the campaign

And that he wasn't including AK and HI, which he didn't plan to visit.

ADDED:

CA could, and perhaps should, be reasonably cut into 3 states based on similar geomorphic provinces.

Starting in the SW, the Peninsular and Transverse Ranges along with the Colorado and Mojave deserts to make up one.

Then, up the coast, and the Coast Klamath, and Cascade Ranges make up another. Maybe the Modoc Plateau in that one, which would then make it reasonable to put the NE corner of the Basin & Range province in there too.

The Great Valley, Sierra, and Basin & Range provinces would make up the last.

Not perfect, and there could be some tweaking,but in general, it would be a more reasonable division.

See: http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/uploads/ca-landform1.jpg

for a map of the geomorphic provinces.

There is an cool show on the History Channel called "How the States Got Their Shapes", and interestingly enough the show on tonight is about the different cultures within states and how they want to split up.

hmmm......Could it be Mr. Brannans spoonerism on making the north end of the Napa Valley the "Saratoga of California?"

many SoCal folks are sick of being governed by NorCal folks. The problems and needs are very different. For one, we have an international border down here and they don't. Not sure splitting would help tho :wacko:

many SoCal folks are sick of being governed by NorCal folks. The problems and needs are very different. For one, we have an international border down here and they don't. Not sure splitting would help tho :wacko:

Really! So cal is tired of being governed by norcal votes????? Just where are you dividing the state to get that outcome????? I should think that Oregon and Nevada have the international border now........ :rolleyes:

Really! So cal is tired of being governed by norcal votes????? Just where are you dividing the state to get that outcome????? I should think that Oregon and Nevada have the international border now........ :rolleyes:

There is a lot of truth to her comment. If you look at the main movers and shakers in the CA Legislature for the past 20 years, you will see a disproportionate number out of the San Francisco Burton Machine.

Actually, the central valley (most of), mountain, basin and desert folks are tired of the governance by the leftist, anti-s on the urban-centric coast.

The proposal for east-west division has also been brought up before. The business tax base hadn't been there, but at the rate the state is running businesses and the tax paying middle class out (net loss of population for three consecutive years-never had ONE before - and the last aerospace company headquarters left last year!), an eastern California with business-friendly policies and basic rights would save them from having to go very far east to Texas or other states that have figured out economics and freedom.

I had planned to retire here, but with the death spiral tightening, I'm watching, supporting growth and voting. Cant wait forever, however.

Just the view from my saddle - I've lived in 8 states and spent time in all the others.

Harvey :ph34r:

Huh. I never considered San Francisco as "northern" California. I always have counted it in the granola world I guess. I even lived for awhile in/around Monterey which I did consider to be northern. Next you'll be telling me that San Francisco is actually way west of Los Angeles....... :blush:

Next you'll be telling me that San Francisco is actually way west of Los Angeles....... :blush:

good point D. let's just divide it NW and SE :huh:

Ya'll CA folks whine all ya like. Ever thought about us rural, conservative Northern NY folks (totally disenfranchised at any level above county government), and how we BLEW IT OUT THE WAZOO by NOT joining forces with VT when we had the chance 200+ years ao. They told us "NYC won't dominate, we'll always have the capital in Albany" Uh, hello, take Albany AND NYC and give em to Joisey if ya like....... Meanwhile, we "flannel animals" abide the best we can.....

We have the same problems in Illinois with the Urban wing nuts dominating the rest of the State.

I knew we were lost several years ago when the Wingnuts in Democrat dominated Chicago elected a Chicago Republican for Governor (He's in jail right now) rather than a Downstate Democrat.

Archived