SASS Wire Forum

Harman Hammer's Alaskan Shooting Adventure

Every 4th of July weekend, we have a little shootin' match here in the land of the midnight sun. This year, we got an application from a feller from down South Carolina way wantin' to come play with us. Word on the street was that he was a pretty good shooter and was gonna take home all of our shiny trinkets. What to do? What to do?

When he gets here, he calls and wants to help us set up the ranges on Thursday night. That's it! I'll work him to death!! So, I pick him up and we drive out to the range, visiting along the way. Seemed nice enough but I'm sure it was just a trick. We have to set up 12 stages on 4 bays and we worked him like a rented mule. He never slowed down. I tried to drop steel on his foot but he was too quick. I sicked my dog on him but they just sniffed each other. Looked like he was here to stay.

He came out Friday morning and helped with the shoot-through posse. Said he just wanted to help but I know he was trying to figure out how to game all of the stages. We shot a few side matches and then he drove off into the sunset...except the sun doesn't set. Friday night, it rained like the second coming of Noah.

After opening ceremonies Saturday morning, we took the lifeboats out to stage 1. He proceeded to rip off 3 or 4 smokin' stages. I was keeping him on sight but things looked bleak. Tried to feed him a big lunch but he just nibbled. Slowed him down he said. Hmmmmm... After the first 6 stages he was feelin' pretty good about his chances. I saw him re-arranging the trunk of his car so he could fit all of his buckles and trophies in it. Fed him a big supper Saturday night in hopes he would sleep in and miss the party on Sunday. Nope. He was there bright and early.

Looked like the Hammer was gonna prevail. Until...on one stage, we have a target that is just a big steel plate with a GIANT star cut out of the center. Did I mention it was giant? Big hole!! It's set at 15 yards and the idea was to shoot through the hole. If you hit steel it's a miss. Well, he steps up to the line and at the beep, he let's "er rip! Well let me tell ya. It sounded like Big Ben. Bong! Bong! Bong! I found his Kryptonite! He can't hit a hole! After that, he realized his plan was foiled so he spent the rest of the weekend trying to horse trade un-suspecting old men out of their guns. I think he got a couple too. He started name dropping, saying how he was gonna bring a posse of his fast buddies up here and clean up next year. Knew he was just blowin' hot air. He probably ain't even got a friend.

Ok, truth is...we had a great time. Harman Hammer is a hoot to shoot a match with, a great shooter and works as hard on a posse as anyone I've ever shot with. I feel like I've made a great new friend and look forward to getting down that way and playing cowboy with those fellers.

Glad you came up Hammer. See ya next year!

Four Bucks

I still say you Alaskan's ganged up on me that stage. Just to stick together, you had folks throwin' rocks at that target while I was shootin' They was the ones that missed the hole to hit the steel. Like I said "That wasn't me" I can't miss that big of a star.

OK Now it's my turn to tell a story...

How the old codger tried to out smart the "Young Whipper Snapper"... That on the very first stage as he puts it "I just can't make it any simpler"...

For some reason I did not hear two clangs after I was sure I heard two shots fired on those oh so close targets that were so simple to hit.

Just goes to show you it's easier to miss a target than it is to purposely miss a target.

If you wanna keep going I got another story for the rest to hear. LOL

Again GREAT SHOOT... Thanks Four Bucks... A friend for life for sure, you are welcome at my door step anytime, and Lori is welcome to come on in, you stay on the door step.

Hammer

Guest talon macleod 29883
:rolleyes: Well thats Hammer. Works hard ,plays hard ,Dies hard .A good friend,Not one of his fast friend but if he will take me then maybe I`d sign on. One year he showed up at Shootout at Mule Camp and took the nasty job of working with me on a nonstop shotgun side match.Then there is the time we got to making wagers ,but thats another day. Hammertime!Talon Macleod #29883 Los Vaquero :)

Talon...pack yer toys and come on up! But don't bother unless you're lookin' to have some fun. Fun first...competition second. We might even feed you a biscuit or two.

Four Bucks

Guest talon macleod 29883
:rolleyes: As my grandmothers cousn said in a movie " Thats Just my Game". Its Hammertime. Talon :D

Harman,

I know how you feel!!!

You travel thousands of miles to go show them Alaskans a thing or two and run right square into Four Bucks. Ruby and I made the trip up two years ago and I am still talking about it.

We are planning on making the trip again next year for another lesson!!!!!

Great folks and a great shoot

PS If you see Marshall Stone down here in the lower 48 he is not here for the shooting he is spying.

If you see Marshall Stone down here in the lower 48 he is not here for the shooting he is spying.

Rowdy;

Dang, Ya found me out. Sorry I missed this shoot but had a ball at HOW.

Can't wait to see what 4 Bucks come up with for next year. Hope you guys can make it.

Marshal Stone

Archived