SASS Wire Forum

How I spent my Independence Day weekend

*On Saturday, Hawkeye Gin and I shot a Cowboy match at the TR Ranch in Howey-in-the-Hills, FL with all my Florida pards.

*Saturday night we celebrated Major Mishap's 60th birthday with many SASS friends (yes, he really was born on the 4th of July...a long time ago!)

*On Sunday my Dad, Dead Lakes Walker and I shot another Cowboy match with my new friends at the Ghost Town Gunslingers in St. Augustine, FL.

*Today, I mowed some grass, loaded 1000+ rounds of fresh ammuntion for future cowboy matches and assisted my Dad in disassembling and cleaning a

99 year old Savage '99 .22 Hi-Power rifle (made right here in the U.S.A.).

*Then, we grilled ribs from a wild hog Dad shot during muzzleloading season, fried green tomatoes, and baked bread seasoned with rosemary from our garden. (I may have eaten too much...)

Where else on earth could a family enjoy such freedoms as this? Only in America!!

I am so grateful to our Founding Fathers for our Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Well, you may have heard that I shot my first ever match yesterday. What a way to spend the day. Today was spent more or less relaxing and doing some odds and ends that needed done around the house. We're watching the Boston Pops as I write this.

Friday I went up to Hell on Wheels just to wander around with my daughter. Saturday was a family thing up in the mountains, several rounds went down range until it got too beastly hot. Sunday was church, and then a lunch family thing, then off to the other side of the family for an afternoon/evening family thing. Today I haven't done much of anything.

I went with my WW2 living history group for a display in a local park and did a parade. Three of us decided to commeorate Desert Storm for the 20th anniversary, which went over very well. If you feel like it, you can check a couple of group shots, here and here. :FlagAm:

Like this. :FlagAm::D It was a good day.

Nice way to spend your time.Spent mine with family and some great folk. It was my wife's bithday on the 2nd. :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Spent my 4th fending off Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. I didn't know they tag-teamed each other.

Saterday went to a shoot at Orange six stages,Great shoot.We had a good feed at the range and after we ate. We had a really good school on shooting from a really good shooter.Sunday Kid Conner and his mom (my daughter) and his sister and dad came over to eat after church.Kid conner wanted to shoot and let his dad shoot his new guns.They put about 100 rounds of 38s,I think Kid Conner put 80 down range,and they shot the little henry adout 200 times. It is a small 22 and the stock is cut,my son in law is 6'5" with long arms,Sure was funny watching him shoot.When we started out to shoot Kid Conner told his dad how to carry the rifle,And when he started to shoot the lightnings he cocked the hammer when it was pointing down and Conner told him,dad dont cock until your on the target.Monday cleaned guns.Had a good time in a great country,God Bless this great country and the men and women that make it safe.

I took Friday off and got everything ready for my neighbors and coworkers to come over on Saturday. We had ribs and brats and beans and beer and beer and then a little more beer. Later we all sat around and played Rummikub...It's like gin rummy only with tiles.

Sunday my neighbors and friends were coming over to take all of our house plants so we can get ready to move back to IL.

One guy and his wife brought two extra large pizzas and the next thing we knew, the party was on again. So...later on I cranked up the grill again and we finished all the food from party #1. Then we played more Rummikub.

Yesterday...we were lucky to do anything. Got the place cleaned up and made a trip to the dump and got rid of all the trash.

Went to work today and the parking lot was half empty...usually can't find a spot. I got an email from Tenshot Tammy saying that she came home from work with the chills and vomiting, so I came home to take care of her. She's a lot better now.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Charlie

*On Saturday, Hawkeye Gin and I shot a Cowboy match at the TR Ranch in Howey-in-the-Hills, FL with all my Florida pards.

*Saturday night we celebrated Major Mishap's 60th birthday with many SASS friends (yes, he really was born on the 4th of July...a long time ago!)

*On Sunday my Dad, Dead Lakes Walker and I shot another Cowboy match with my new friends at the Ghost Town Gunslingers in St. Augustine, FL.

*Today, I mowed some grass, loaded 1000+ rounds of fresh ammuntion for future cowboy matches and assisted my Dad in disassembling and cleaning a

99 year old Savage '99 .22 Hi-Power rifle (made right here in the U.S.A.).

*Then, we grilled ribs from a wild hog Dad shot during muzzleloading season, fried green tomatoes, and baked bread seasoned with rosemary from our garden. (I may have eaten too much...)

Where else on earth could a family enjoy such freedoms as this? Only in America!!

I am so grateful to our Founding Fathers for our Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Great Post Pard!

I too am grateful to our Founding Fathers and ALL the Men and Women that have served in the Military to preserve our FREEDOM!.

Stan

Nice post Delta!

I spent Saturday with my son at the Firecracker 400 at Daytona and then rested from all of the driving on Sunday. Yesterday we got together with my sisters family and my parents for a BBQ which was great. Not quite the 2nd amendment flavor as some but protected by the same freedoms as well.

Thanks to all of those who stand watch on the wall to ensure our freedom and ability to enjoy this great country of ours!

-Deadlee

Spent my 4th fending off Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. I didn't know they tag-teamed each other.

News to me too! Of course, they never seem to want to spend much time talking when I answer the door with a breach loading shotgun broken down running a cleaning rod through it. I think I need to get one and keep it like that, just for those occasions.

Fireworks on Friday.

Shot with the Rockford Regulators on Saturday and fireworks that night.

Spectated the parade on Sunday and made my special ultra cheddar cheese bacon burgers and then enjoyed mega fireworks that evening.

Fun & more fireworks and my daughters 11th and our Nation's 235th b-day fun on Monday.

Life is grand and the flag is still flyin' proud!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

News to me too! Of course, they never seem to want to spend much time talking when I answer the door with a breach loading shotgun broken down running a cleaning rod through it. I think I need to get one and keep it like that, just for those occasions.

I was in Texas at my uncle's place when we heard a ring at the door. It was a couple of Jehovah Witness folks. He answered and I heard him simply say " I worship Satan" :huh: and closed the door immediately. I said.."Uncle Bill, that was rather uncool of you"...he said "It's uncool to interrupt my weekend".....His house, his rules I reckon...and at 6'4" I don't think anyone was going to bother him about it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I spent the 4th driving the second leg of my trip home after shooting Hell On Wheels where I exercised my God given right to keep and bear arms. I was able to cross three state lines without having to worry about being searched or showing a passport. I stopped when and where I wished, purchased food and fuel at a reasonable price (you may think it's high; but, European and Asian drivers pay more than we do - some more than twice as much) and enjoyed the freedoms that our forefathers bestowed upon us.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Late last night, I reacted to something I ate, I guess, was up most of the night. Anyway, I could hear fireworks as late as almost 3AM, before I finally went to sleep from sheer exhaustion. I couldn't believe people were setting them off that late, especially since most people have to work the following day...

Saturday I shot at Magdalena - poorly. I started getting heat exhaustion and was fumbling my shotgun reloads. Monday (the 4th) I did some long-delayed tasks on my honey-do list. Domestic tranquility has increased. I bought some apple trees to replace the ones the gophers killed, then spent the afternoon at the range shooting the 45-70 at the 200 yard gongs. With more practise I might try the long range event at the Outlaw Trail. A marine recruiter's son was shooting .22s and wanted to see the 45-70. He got a good look and we had a nice chat about old military cartridges. I think the boy could become a gun collector.

I spent the holiday weekend with family and friends watching my only child marry one of the most beautiful and fantastic women in the world. I know have a daughter and I couldn’t be prouder of either of them

I also had my first beer in 6 months!

Dang it was fine! :lol:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I'm surprised that the Mormon missionaries were out on the 4th. In my mission we usually didn’t proselyte on holidays. Just enjoyed the sun and the fireworks

Archived