SASS Wire Forum

Sounds of Summer

Bama Red

What's your favorite sound of summer? Something you can enjoy by sound alone - ya don't have to see, smell, touch or taste it to enjoy?

For me, its the sound of an Atlanta Braves game (probably any baseball game would do, but I do love the Braves), either on TV or radio. If its on TV, more times than not, I'm somewhere I can't even see the TV, but I enjoy the game just as much as if I could see it.

What's your sound of summer?

The big KERPLOOSH sound as I do a cannon-ball in my pool. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Yup..........Dat works fer me !!

Tree crickets and tree frogs in the night. Big ol' bullfrogs tryin' to outdo one another. A pack of coyotes singing(although that's probably more of a winter sound). The wailing cry of screech owl. What most folks call whiporwills, but are actually chuck will's widows.

Not so favorite summer sounds: the buzz of a diamondback, the hiss of a cottonmouth.

The first time I took my wife camping. She was a city girl, and had never been in the woods of SE OK. We were sitting around the campfire when screech owl cut loose about 20 yards behind the tent. I'll never forget how large my wife's eyes got as she whispered, "What was that?"

Tree crickets and tree frogs in the night. Big ol' bullfrogs tryin' to outdo one another. A pack of coyotes singing(although that's probably more of a winter sound). The wailing cry of screech owl. What most folks call whiporwills, but are actually chuck will's widows.

Not so favorite summer sounds: the buzz of a diamondback, the hiss of a cottonmouth.

The first time I took my wife camping. She was a city girl, and had never been in the woods of SE OK. We were sitting around the campfire when screech owl cut loose about 20 yards behind the tent. I'll never forget how large my wife's eyes got as she whispered, "What was that?"

In Missouri there are whip-poor wills. I was turkey hunting and got to watch a love lorn fellow sitting on a stump at arms length from me recite his plaintive "chuck, whip poor will" several hundred times. He rotated about 1/8 of a turn with each call. Interesting morning, no turkey though.

The sound of the dawn breeze in the trees.

The almost silent flight of a bat or an owl. (really spooky to feel as much hear an owl as it glides past you about 5 feet away.)

The 'plop' of a lure hitting the water and the hum of the reel as you retrieve it.

The crackle of a camp fire and the sizzle of meat on a grill.

Odd...I have tinnitus really bad and can barely hear most of those. Maybe that is why they rate as favorites.

What's your favorite sound of summer? Something you can enjoy by sound alone - ya don't have to see, smell, touch or taste it to enjoy?

For me, its the sound of an Atlanta Braves game (probably any baseball game would do, but I do love the Braves), either on TV or radio. If its on TV, more times than not, I'm somewhere I can't even see the TV, but I enjoy the game just as much as if I could see it.

What's your sound of summer?

Yup! I really miss Skip Carey or Ernie Johnson calling a Brave's game...Lots of fond memories.

For some reason, I don't hear any insect noises over here and we both miss the tree frogs.

Have a happy summer...

Charlie

The soft gurgle of a Dos Equis being poured into a frosted mug.

and

Mr. Tambourine Man playing on an AM radio.

and

The snick, snick snick of a rainbird on the neighbors lawn accompanied by children's laughter as they dash through the drops

and

Distant thunder from an afternoon storm rolling in from the Everglades and the rustling of the trees as the breeze is pushed ahead of it

and

Waves softly slapping against the shoreline and the soft hiss as they recede down the sand as Seagulls laugh overhead

and

The zzzzzz of line playing out after a perfect cast and the ploop of the lure as it hits the water right where that lunker Bass is waiting

and

The faint crack of a bat and the swelling noise from the crowd in the stands as you wait in line outside at the ticket booth, fidgeting in anticipation

and

The rumble of V8s slowly moving past the ticket booth into the drive-in theater as the sun sets

and

The clunk of a paddle on the side of the canoe as you float down a crystal clear, spring-fed river past willows and oak trees

and

The sudden Whoosh as a dust devil sneaks up on you and snatches your hat into the stratosphere

and

The rush of the wind over a Canyon Wren's wings as it swoops past you and dives for the rocks below

and....

SOMEBODY STOP ME! :lol: :lol:

FROM LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY!

The splash of the cool waters of the swimming pool after a hot day of cutting grass and doing odd jobs in the hot and humid summer afternon of Southern Illinois summer.

The the breeze in the driver's window and the sight of fire flies in the freshly cut field of hay, on my way to the drive in theater with my current girl friend.

The sounds of the music and call at the local square dance.

The big KERPLOOSH sound as I do a cannon-ball in my pool. Just sayin'

Big Jake

BRAGGART!!! LOL

Slackwater (What wishes HE had a backyard pool he could jump inta!) Jack

In Missouri there are whip-poor wills. I was turkey hunting and got to watch a love lorn fellow sitting on a stump at arms length from me recite his plaintive "chuck, whip poor will" several hundred times. He rotated about 1/8 of a turn with each call. Interesting morning, no turkey though.

=====================================================

There used to be whippoorwills all over Virginia, but I haven't heard one in years. There's several owls in the woods back of us though, and we hear them just about every night.

Da sound of a whippoorwill at night, and cuttin' fire wood fer wintertime.

Ya know why it's good fire wood don't cha ? :unsure:

S-K-I-N-N-I-E

D-I-P :D

Not around here. When I go in the pool it's called Chunky Dunking. Ain't no skinny people livin' here 'bouts. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The sound of katydids on a summer night, which are gradually blended with and finally replaced by the sound of crickets as summer wears on and my favorite season, fall, approaches.

Lightnin' bugs (fireflies to you yankees) are silent, but they used to fill the summer air at night when I was a kid. Now you just see one or two here and there, since their numbers have been decimated by pesticides. Another generation, and they'll be totally gone. Damn shame.

Recalling another sound of summer from my boyhood. We did not have air conditioning and the summer nights were very hot and humid in Southern Illinois. We lived above the Mississippi river on a hill top, and I could hear the trains at night in the switching yard a couple of miles below our house.

This was mostly steam engines and they would huff and hiss with bells ringing. I would go to sleep listening to them.

Lightnin' bugs (fireflies to you yankees) are silent, but they used to fill the summer air at night when I was a kid. Now you just see one or two here and there, since their numbers have been decimated by pesticides. Another generation, and they'll be totally gone. Damn shame.

Don't count on it. We've had an amazing show the past week or so looking out pretty much any direction at night from our driveway.

The sounds I associate with summer... Hmmm... Since I often associate summer with camping:

The sound of a fire hissing and crackling.

The hiss of a Coleman lantern

The sound of the Grand Ole Opry as it fades in and out on a radio while we sit back in front of the fire or inside our sleeping bags

The sounds of the woodland insects, tree frogs and the like as they sing in the night

Whip-poor-wills

Coffee brewing on a Coleman stove as I try to wipe the sleep from my eyes

A Cincinnati Reds game playing in the background while old times are remembered

Recalling another sound of summer from my boyhood. We did not have air conditioning and the summer nights were very hot and humid in Southern Illinois. We lived above the Mississippi river on a hill top, and I could hear the trains at night in the switching yard a couple of miles below our house.

This was mostly steam engines and they would huff and hiss with bells ringing. I would go to sleep listening to them.

=================================================

Our house had no air conditioning either, just cross-ventilation from opposing windows, electric fans, and lots of shade trees. We'd sit out on the front porch on summer nights, listening to the whipporwills, the occasional owl, and train whistles. We lived about 100 yards or so from the tracks at the west end of the railyards, and steam engines were a part of the daily scene until about 1957. I too went to sleep many a night listening to long eastbound coal drags heading into town from the West Virginia mines, and long strings of empties heading back to the mines from Norfolk. They always whistled for the first crossing west of town at Nutbush (yes Virginia, there really is a place called Nutbush. It used to have a country store and post office, and a flagstop shelter where you could catch the passenger trains to points east and west).

Granddad was an engineer, and would take me to the roundhouse with him to check out the various steam locomotives that were in for service and watch them get turned on the turntable. Then we might go over to the yard office and hang out a while and listen to the funny stories as the yard crews ragged on each other between assignments. I've still got most of Granddad's old time books, from the 1920's to the 1950's. He always carried the current one on him or in his overnight "grip" on runs. Some of them still have coal dust between the pages, and they all still smell like coal smoke and cinders.

Lots of good ones here, especially the bullfrogs.

I'd pick cicadas (though I know some folks find them annoying). To me THAT'S the sound of summer. When I was a button we called them locusts (I know, incorrectly)

JHC

Archived