SASS Wire Forum

4th of July shoot Norco Cowboys

Big Jake1001

I arrived at 8AM, signed up and met up with my pards Sidewinder #26 Big Medicine #19 and McShagnasty #452.

JJJ and Deja Vous stopped by with a 1897 Winchester and parts in a bag, got out my gun-smithing tools,a screwdriver and a hammer. We got it back together and working, but it's in need of a little welding on the rod that fits the hook. Just sayin'

Shooting 5 stages with these 3 guys from 1986 EoT and monthly shoots brought back so many good memories. We shot, laughed, kidded, and had some kind of fun. Magnum Quigley was on our posse and hadn't shot in a few years, just like some of us. McShagnasty shoots a stage 10-10 4, in 37.95 and Quigley comes up and I yell to Don that he'll beat him by 20 seconds. Sure enough Quigley shoots 17.99, Damn he's fast.

Big Medicine shot CLEAN and pretty fast, I didn't miss any targets I shot at, just forgot to shoot ALL the targets. Our 1st stage was 14 rifle shots on 7 targets. If your rifle will hold 14...go for it, otherwise reload on the clock, or bring TWO rifles up to the barrel. I was shooting my 1908 Winchester 1892 .38 WCF rifle and it does hold 14 shots, brain pharts happen, 12 shots seemed like enough...NOT!!!!

I also dragged out my Colts made in 1900, 4 3/4 .38 WCF's and my Winchester 1897 made in 1913. They love to buck and roar, not just sit in the gun safe. Why own them if you don't shoot them? YUP, I had fun.

It was not real hot, but quite warm, so everyone was drinking lots of water. There was a slight breeze.

There was a BBQ afterwards, but Sidewinder is a Dentist and got called for an emergency right after we were through shooting. McShagnasty wanted to hit the trail home, so we headed out. Pool time as soon as I got back to the 'ol homestead.Having steaks now Yummy!

Big Jake

I arrived at 8AM, signed up and met up with my pards Sidewinder #26 Big Medicine #19 and McShagnasty #452.

JJJ and Deja Vous stopped by with a 1897 Winchester and parts in a bag, got out my gun-smithing tools,a screwdriver and a hammer. We got it back together and working, but it's in need of a little welding on the rod that fits the hook. Just sayin'

Shooting 5 stages with these 3 guys from 1986 EoT and monthly shoots brought back so many good memories. We shot, laughed, kidded, and had some kind of fun. Magnum Quigley was on our posse and hadn't shot in a few years, just like some of us. McShagnasty shoots a stage 10-10 4, in 37.95 and Quigley comes up and I yell to Don that he'll beat him by 20 seconds. Sure enough Quigley shoots 17.99, Damn he's fast.

Big Medicine shot CLEAN and pretty fast, I didn't miss any targets I shot at, just forgot to shoot ALL the targets. Our 1st stage was 14 rifle shots on 7 targets. If your rifle will hold 14...go for it, otherwise reload on the clock, or bring TWO rifles up to the barrel. I was shooting my 1908 Winchester 1892 .38 WCF rifle and it does hold 14 shots, brain pharts happen, 12 shots seemed like enough...NOT!!!!

I also dragged out my Colts made in 1900, 4 3/4 .38 WCF's and my Winchester 1897 made in 1913. They love to buck and roar, not just sit in the gun safe. Why own them if you don't shoot them? YUP, I had fun.

It was not real hot, but quite warm, so everyone was drinking lots of water. There was a slight breeze.

There was a BBQ afterwards, but Sidewinder is a Dentist and got called for an emergency right after we were through shooting. McShagnasty wanted to hit the trail home, so we headed out. Pool time as soon as I got back to the 'ol homestead.Having steaks now Yummy!

Big Jake

Thanx fer yer help Big Jake. It was a please ta see ya again....

Too bad I had ta leave early...

Look forward ta seein' and shootin' with ya soon!

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

dang I had to go to family to celibrate. For the grand finale, had 6 of the "boxes" with a fuse on the side...we had to lite them at the same time. my son got his lit and came over to help me lite mine, in the meantime, his "BLEWUP" right behind him..we both got a bit of shrapnel, then mine blew, I got a large piece of shrapnel in the center of the chest (good for the kid with bypass surgery there.._) also I realized that my right ear was ringing to beat all hell..

we figured out my sons package had been wrapped upside down...(so the side that said "this side up..." well ya get the picture.

This is why I usually just stand back and watch them play with their fireworks...

A couple of family were doing shots of Patron, and they wanted me to have a shot...nope, I don't do that on a regular day esp. not on a holiday...

so shooting with you all would have been way more fun. And DV could have used one of my other rifles..

happy fourth all

curley

Thanx fer yer help Big Jake. It was a please ta see ya again....

Too bad I had ta leave early...

Look forward ta seein' and shootin' with ya soon!

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

He is so cool, huh Jitterys.. I just love talking to him.. he knows so much about SASs.. and such a nice guy.. Big Jake .. give your wife a hug for me please???? And know that JJJ's and I love ya.. you were so much help, so nice, and so patient.. okay fine.. everyone knows you have to take your time with Deja or she gets lost.. lol... JJJ's did appreciate ya.. he has a big heart like you do... you guys are so cool... but I can't be like ya for obvious reason.. okay off to play with my snap caps.. lol

dang I had to go to family to celibrate. For the grand finale, had 6 of the "boxes" with a fuse on the side...we had to lite them at the same time. my son got his lit and came over to help me lite mine, in the meantime, his "BLEWUP" right behind him..we both got a bit of shrapnel, then mine blew, I got a large piece of shrapnel in the center of the chest (good for the kid with bypass surgery there.._) also I realized that my right ear was ringing to beat all hell..

we figured out my sons package had been wrapped upside down...(so the side that said "this side up..." well ya get the picture.

This is why I usually just stand back and watch them play with their fireworks...

A couple of family were doing shots of Patron, and they wanted me to have a shot...nope, I don't do that on a regular day esp. not on a holiday...

so shooting with you all would have been way more fun. And DV could have used one of my other rifles..

happy fourth all

curley

Curleys.. OH SMILING COWBOY DAMMIT.. lol.. I am not using any rifle you recomend again without a huge hat.. lol... i am glad ya had a great 4th.. and hey Legends awaits us.. lol

He is so cool, huh Jitterys.. I just love talking to him.. he knows so much about SASs.. and such a nice guy.. Big Jake .. give your wife a hug for me please???? And know that JJJ's and I love ya.. you were so much help, so nice, and so patient.. okay fine.. everyone knows you have to take your time with Deja or she gets lost.. lol... JJJ's did appreciate ya.. he has a big heart like you do... you guys are so cool... but I can't be like ya for obvious reason.. okay off to play with my snap caps.. lol

No problem helping out a cowboy shooter who gets in over his head with taking guns apart. Lots of folks bring me guns in bags with "I got this far...... can you get it back together?" I told JJJ it will work, but does need some "Smithin'" to make it reliable again. Last week I did a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 that hadn't seen a cleaning in 85 years....Then a '94 30-30 from 1949 that had never been apart before.

I enjoy making new friends and talking about SASS. I've thought about becoming a SASS Historian because no one has that job. 30 End of Trails, but only 23 years of SASS. Most people don't know that it didn't start at the same time. Ask me to tell you the story sometime. Just sayin'

Big Jake

No problem helping out a cowboy shooter who gets in over his head with taking guns apart. Lots of folks bring me guns in bags with "I got this far...... can you get it back together?" I told JJJ it will work, but does need some "Smithin'" to make it reliable again. Last week I did a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 that hadn't seen a cleaning in 85 years....Then a '94 30-30 from 1949 that had never been apart before.

I enjoy making new friends and talking about SASS. I've thought about becoming a SASS Historian because no one has that job. 30 End of Trails, but only 23 years of SASS. Most people don't know that it didn't start at the same time. Ask me to tell you the story sometime. Just sayin'

Big Jake

HEY.. Jakes.. I admit i AM way over my head.. and I simply don't care cuz I have all of you guys who know your stuff.. lol.. And I love stories.. I love hearing peoples stories.. So, please tell me..

Archived