SASS Wire Forum

ATTN: Revolutionary War buffs

Fellow history buffs, I've been reading some very detailed accounts of the battles at Lexington and Concord (the ones that kicked off the whole show!). The more I read, the more I'm convinced Artemis Ward deserves a higher place in the pantheon of American heros of the era. However, I haven't found a single biography of the man! Does anyone know of one?

Does anyone disagree with my assertion of the status he deserves?

Did you check Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemas_Ward

Quite bit about the man.

Pard, I'm looking for a BOOK, not a wiki article! Of course I read the wiki, but that doesn't quite do it for this history buff.

Not aware of any books on the guy, Cyrus, but my reading of the period says that he reacted as a prima donna when Congress, for reasons of greater military experience and the politics of colonial unity (at John Adams nomination) appointed George Washington to head the Continental Army. Up until Lexington/Concord Ward did a very good job, but virtually nothing to organize the various volunteer militias into an Army, or to organize the encampment around Boston in a sanitary and orderly fashion. Washington changed all that, which Ward apparently resented.

Once Washington assumed command, Ward was not the cooperative subordinate that was needed in the job. Washington soon gave him other duties.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Archived