SASS Wire Forum

The Waiting is Over

DocWard

I've finally done it. I was up this morning, checking out my gear, making sure everything was accounted for and ready to load in the truck. Coffee in my system and the drive to Greene County began.

Arriving, the check-in was painless. My class? Duelist. Cowboy lunch after? Of course. I met Dirty Chris almost immediately, and I was appreciative of his offer to loan me space in his cart.

Waiting for the shoot to begin, and introductions are made. Sadly, with my poor ability to remember names, some may have to remind me several times before I get them right. Others, made a very lasting impression! All impressions were good, of course. It is amazing how you can meet people for the first time, and be someplace for only the second time, yet within minutes feel you are with old friends and at home.

A safety meeting, and our posse headed for our first stage. The stage was explained, and before I knew it, I was past the loading table and I was staring at targets and trying to remember the Nevada Sweep that Ruger Ray had explained a couple of weeks ago, Dirty Chris had explained just moments before, and Shakee Southpaw had gone over yet again as I stepped up. The "beep" was louder than I ever expected, and I was suddenly suffering tunnel vision, adrenaline, and trying to tame the nerves that went with them all. My time was far longer than I would have imagined, and how could I have missed some of those? It couldn't have lasted as long as the timer said, it was over too fast. Still trying to tame nerves, I moved to the unloading table. My firearms unloaded, I hear people saying "good job." Back to the cart, trying to sort out what had just happened, and Chris was there, a slight grin on his face, telling me the first one was over.

Five more stages, five more times "into the breach." At the end of the day, though, there were no English dead to fill the breach, and the victory was completing the shoot. The enemy never fell, except for those hit by shotgun, yet even those would only rise again. The "bang-clang" was enough. I knew, we knew, when we hit. The conspicuous silence following the bang letting us know that one-or two-or more- remained behind. But for me, that silence didn't constitute failure, it constituted a learning process. A challenge to meet. A level to rise to. Especially when I watched, and heard, the performance of others.

There were challenges that were met today. Stepping foot onto the range, guns ready, was one. The heat was another. It took its toll as the day went on. Even having experienced much more extreme heat, the heat can be draining when staying busy and when not acclimated to it. Greene County Cowboys had cold water at the ready, and it helped, but still, at the end of the shoot, the fatigue was very real.

There were other challenges that weren't met. They will be faced in the future. Some will be met. Some may never be met. As has often be said, it is the journey, not the destination that matters. The victories of the future will be to face those challenges. The victories will be all the greater when the challenges are conquered.

All in all, it was a great day. I met people I liked, had a great time shooting, and completed my first shoot. Was I as good as I wanted to be? Hardly. Was as good as I expected to be? I went in with no real expectations. Was I as good as I plan on being? Hardly. Which means, of course, that I have to get back out there and shoot again. And again...

My thanks to Chris, Ray, Shakee, and all of the others who made it such a great day of shooting for me.

Congrats Doc, nice to have that first one under yer belt.

It can be an addiction to be sure, at a family thing today I was talking about cowboy shooting and showing around a copy of the Chronicle. Most thought it sounded fun and may try to join me for a match someday. I think others just figure that I'm crazy.

Me, I just rambled on and thought about when I can get my next fix, er, shoot my next match. C'mon Saturday!

Grizz

Congrats on the first shoot, still looking forward to mine, sounds like you had a great time and thats all I'm really looking for, Fun and make new friends.

Glad to help in any way I could Doc, and glad you had a good time. You'll definitely get better as you get a few more matches under your belt. I think Duelist is a tougher style to start out with than traditional style, and carrying your shotgun shells in your pocket didn't help your times any. ;)

Hope to see you back next month!

Doc, glad ya finally got your first shoot. Sounds like you enjoyed it and yes it is addicting, I look forward to shooting with you.Welcome to the fire

Good job Doc!! The adrenaline rush will lessen and the timer shock will stop and you'll find it's a little less tiring. It won't get any less fun and the friends just keep on adding up!!

Glad you finally got ta' shoot a match. First you shoot that first clean stage and the smile is large. Then you shoot two or three in a row and now you're pumpin' a fist as you go to retrieve your long guns with a still bigger smile! "Nice run cowboy," you hear somebody say. That first clean match or the first "perfect stage" or whatever it is you'll never get over it. I find myself smiling at odd times for no reason and realize that it's the people and the memories that keep you happy all the time.

Happy Fourth!!

Glad to help in any way I could Doc, and glad you had a good time. You'll definitely get better as you get a few more matches under your belt. I think Duelist is a tougher style to start out with than traditional style, and carrying your shotgun shells in your pocket didn't help your times any. ;)

Hope to see you back next month!

What? You mean not everyone carries their shotgun shells in their pockets? :o NOW you tell me! :angry: No, you are absolutely right, that certainly cut into what were already slow times.

I decided on Duelist for two reasons. First, I would like to try Gunfighter eventually so Duelist seems the best start to transition; Second, because I have been firing pistols from a Weaver or Isosceles stance for pretty much all my life, I decided that since I was getting away from my modern military life in this shooting sport, I would go all the way. Not sure that makes sense to others, but it does for me. Believe it or not, it is a bit of a challenge for me not to bring the supporting hand up and assume a good two-handed grip.

Doc, glad ya finally got your first shoot. Sounds like you enjoyed it and yes it is addicting, I look forward to shooting with you.Welcome to the fire

Thanks, I am looking forward to it!

Good job cowboy!!

GG

Thanks, I appreciate it! And I'll say it for you.... "It's about time!!!"

Great story!!!

Great write up!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the FUN!!!!!!!

Duelist,,,if it's good enough for Roy, Gene, and JW, by god.

Duelist, Double Duelist, Gunfighter...your on your way!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEHA!!!!

BH :D

Congratulations Doc. Sounds like you had a good time. So long as you had fun and no one went home with lead in them, who cares about the stage times. The speed and hits will come with time, practice and experience. Even after 14 years (July 6, 1997 was my 1st match) I sometimes still get antsy on the 1st stage before the timer goes off.

You need to get a shotgun belt, retrieving them shells out of a shirt pocket is detrimental to good stage times.

Good to have you aboard as a fellow SASS shooter.

Sun

Congratulations Doc. Sounds like you had a good time. So long as you had fun and no one went home with lead in them, who cares about the stage times. The speed and hits will come with time, practice and experience. Even after 14 years (July 6, 1997 was my 1st match) I sometimes still get antsy on the 1st stage before the timer goes off.

You need to get a shotgun belt, retrieving them shells out of a shirt pocket is detrimental to good stage times.

Good to have you aboard as a fellow SASS shooter.

Sun

Ya think??? :lol: Yes, it is not quite the laid back loading that trap is, that's for sure! I am hoping for a slider in short order, at least.

Woo Wee! That's the way it should be!

Luckily it usually is!

Glad to hear it!

Regards,

Allie "who was seriously addicted after coming in last at her first match" Mo ;)

I came in Second in Duelist. Always glad when there aren't three shooters!

Doc Ward I'm glad your first shoot was with Greene County Cowboys. Hope to see you in Aug. If you need a shotgun slide ,Let me know and I will bring you one. Be glad to help a new shooter any way I can.

Doc Ward I'm glad your first shoot was with Greene County Cowboys. Hope to see you in Aug. If you need a shotgun slide ,Let me know and I will bring you one. Be glad to help a new shooter any way I can.

So am I. I couldn't have hoped for a better experience. Great people, great shooting. Stick the slide in your gear now, just to be safe, but I hope to have one before then.

I came in Second in Duelist. Always glad when there aren't three shooters!

I can beat that! I won my category in my first match! It was a special 5th Saturday match that allowed an adult .22 category, I didn't have my main match guns yet, but at the time had a pair of single sixes in .22 and a Marlin 39A, and borrowed a shotgun at the match. IIRC only had 1 miss that match too.

And yes, I was the only one in my category. :D Haven't heard my name called for an award since.

I can beat that! I won my category in my first match! It was a special 5th Saturday match that allowed an adult .22 category, I didn't have my main match guns yet, but at the time had a pair of single sixes in .22 and a Marlin 39A, and borrowed a shotgun at the match. IIRC only had 1 miss that match too.

And yes, I was the only one in my category. :D Haven't heard my name called for an award since.

It is getting to be a habit for me. I was on a team that won three bronze medals in trap at the Ohio Police and Fire Games a couple of weeks back. Guess how many teams there were?

Congrats Doc on your first match

Greene County is a great new facility - first class

now if you really have the bug - come to Middletown (BigIrons) this Saturday

and go to Wilmington on the 16th

That has less to do with the bug and more with money and time, unfortunately.

Archived