SASS Wire Forum

Spotting scope for long range side matches

Dungannon Gunner

Long range rifle side matches. 100, 200 and 300 yards..

Do you use a spotting scope?

Can you make a recommendation on specifications, magnification, tec.. example 20-60x 80 etc.

Straight eye piece or 45 degree? Brand?

Long range rifle side matches. 100, 200 and 300 yards..

Do you use a spotting scope?

Can you make a recommendation on specifications, magnification, tec.. example 20-60x 80 etc.

Straight eye piece or 45 degree? Brand?

Take a look at Konus 20-60 x 80. Around $200. Buy a good tri-pod though. the little ones they ship with most scopes are pretty flimsy.

300yds. isn't really long range. You can spot that with a good pair of binoculars or a rifle scope. For the cheap stuff the Konus is pretty good. You will pay a minimum of $1000 for a good spotting scope. KOWA, high end Vortex, Leica, Zeiss, etc. The best of the shooter level stuff I see is the Leupold Gold Ring 12X40 X 60. The military uses them because of the compactness and reasonable usability out to 1000meters. I use a 6" Celestron astro scope here for the 2000 meter and up spotting. Any magnification offer 40 is usually wasted. (for the military teams we usually use 25-30X out to 800 meters). You need good conditions and great glass to use 60X.

Do you really have time to use a spotting scope in a long range match?

Howdy,

No need for spotting scope if you set up the targets right.

Take a couple rebar and drive em in about three or four feet apart.

put two layers of nylon mesh between the rebar.

Put a few small balloons inflated to about four or five inch diameter

between the mesh layers.

Color of balloons could be yellow for lane one and blue for lane 2 and green for 3 etc.

Set up shots and scoring to suit yerself.

Just a thought.

Best

CR

Do you really have time to use a spotting scope in a long range match?

I would never use in a match. I would use during practice. At the local 300 yard range at at the farm for 700 to 900 yards.

Appalachian Shooter: I see almost every high end spotting scope here. Everything from $800 to $4000. I have looked through them all at low and high light levels. Quality glass is usually expensive. If you want absolute color perfection and low light performance you have to spend over $2500. If excellent color and normal daylight performance is what you need there are a couple of buys at $1000 to $1600 that will amaze you. I won't list all the models available from each mfg. but will give you a list in order from BEST to worst as I see them here on the range from 800meters to 4500 meters.

#1. Big HD Objective Swarovski

#2. Big HD Objective Leica

#3. Big HD ObjectiveZeiss

#4. Vortex Razor AMAZING scope for about $1600.

#5. Big HD Objective Kowa

#6. Leupold Gold Ring Great scope for about $1000

#7 Big HD Objective Nikon

After that they pretty much all fall into the same so so class.

If you are poor, the Leupold Gold ring is a good buy, if you have a bit more money the Vortex Razor is the BEST buy in spotting scopes. If you want better than it, plan on spending at least $2500.

None of the scopes below the Nikon are useful at 800yds.

I would never use in a match. I would use during practice. At the local 300 yard range at at the farm for 700 to 900 yards.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Archived