SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun belt VS shotgun slide

Stoney Creek

New shooters in our area have asked advice from local cowboys/girls on shotgun belts/slides and what is best for them.

Most times the responder promotes whatever it is that they are wearing.

Ladies seem to be going to slides worn on their gun belts with belt buckled in back.

Double shooters advise double loops and 97 shooters lean to single loop.

There are not many shooters up here pulling three to stoke a 97 and I can count on one hand how many try to pull four.

What say the wire on belts VS slides for the various irons we shoot.

I had a slide but changed to a shotgun belt. I like my pistol belt as low as I can get it and that put the slide way below my belly whereas a shotgun belt puts it more at bellybutton height. I think having the shells up high makes more sense although I have not gone the bondeleer route. Also, the slide I had held only 6 or 8 (I don't remember) and I like my belt which holds a whole bunch.

Slides are ok, but a designated shotgun belt gives you a lot more versatility. While I'm not a speed demon I try to do the best I can and give myself every opportunity with my equipment. I typically shoot a 97, but I will at times use a double and more recently an 87.

It's all a personal choice with the 97 whether you go over the top or strong hand. I will pull four and go over the top but I'm learning to load two from the strong side. I know some that will pull five and six with their left hand. Slides typically limit the number of shells you carry. Most belts will hold eight to twelve. Slides are a less expensive option, but most will eventually end up with the belt. If you wear the slide on your gun belt, your shells are lower on the body and while the time isn't much, it does take more time to retrieve from the slide that it would from a shotgun belt.

Good luck and enjoy.

KK

Hi Stoney,

I've used a holster slide, a holster with built in loops, and a belt. Everyone (unless you have a huge waist) needs a belt for that uncommon stage with 15-25 SG.

I really liked one belt that buckled in back and had loops for 10 shells in front. It was nice to not need another belt most of the time. Ten loops was a perfect number as you rarely encounter more than 8 SG on a stage and you have two spares.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Although not shooting any more and relatively a newbie from start to finish I do have a couple of cents to add on this one. I started with a six shell slide and quickly found it to go wanting (almost forcing a miss due to running out of shells). Then I went to Kirkpatrick's Tequila belt for two reasons. One it held ten pairs of two or twenty 12 gauge shells and two it also held ten rounds of rifle/pistol rounds which before all I had was a shirt pocket. This belt I wore just above the gun belt with the buckle in the back so anywhere I reached I came up with shotshells. I never ran dry. I was shooting a SXS so the pairing system worked well for me. Smithy.

I combined my shotgun belt and gunbelt into one. NOTE: I've added to and modified this some since it was first built by Dirty Foot. It holds 10-rounds of SG, 4-rounds of .45 spares, and 4 loops for various tools that I may need when shooting Frontiersman. I've also added a small "possible" pouch for other items I may carry during the day.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunrigs/NewPresidioRig.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunrigs/NewPresidioRigStrongSide-Brown.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunrigs/NewPresidioRigCrossdrawSide-BrownII.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Presidio40582/Gunrigs/NewPresidioRigCrossdrawSide-Brow-1.jpg

This is why it's called "The Presidio Rig". One belt to do it all. ^_^;)

And before you ask - the shotgun rounds DO NOT interfere with the drawing and holstering of the pistol(s) that I use. Anything from a 5" or 7" 1851's or Remington 1858's.

Guest Chief

I don't like slides or belts. Had 8 loops sewen into my vest and load from there,I find it very comfortable and no problem getting two out at a time.

I can speak for those of us who love buffets and such. A belt puts the shell higher on the body (note SASS rules about covering the belly button) and closer to the gun for loading. My belt has 25 spaces so I can place shells as necessary for the particular stage or shotgun (I shoot SxS, 97 and 87).

My 97 technique is 'not-normal' (some woudl say weird) as I load from both sides if the gun is on the table:

- right hand drops one in the chamber

- left hand grabs three for reloads over the top

87 technique is right hand grabbing by twos.

SxS technique is left hand garbbing by twos.

Using a shotgun belt also leaves room on my shortgun belt for a pouch for empties and the ability to turn that belt so that cartridges are in front for quick rifle reloads that are so popular in my area.

One greeta thing about our game is that there is no one right answer but their are answers that are common to good shooters.

A lot of how to answer this question depends upon how many shotgun shots are required per stage and how far apart they are.

It would seem to me that in an area where many shotgun shots are required per stage one would tend to use a shotgun belt.

While if there are typically less than say 6 shots sliders would do well.

I use 2 4 shot sliders so I have a total of 8 shots. That means 6 shots and 2 for the inevitable fumble.

I also sometimes carry a couple more shots in my shirt or coat pocket.

my 2 cents

A good thread Stoney!!! I'm watching the responses close so I can decide if I need something new for when I start using my 97. I'm doing stretching exercises every night with my fingers so's I can grab 4 shells off the belt like them big boys!!!! LOL.........

Colt

Prefer a belt, if for not other reason than it rides above the sixguns.

You want to grab either one, two, or four. If you grab one, a canvas belt is cool; if you grab two you most likely want a loop that holds two; if you grab four you most likely want two loops of two sewn close together. I believe the rules are you cannot have more than two in a loop.

A slide is better for someone who has a short torso IMO. The belt raises the shells just to the correct level for feeding the SxS. In WB i use a slide since the Shotgun is stoked to begin with and they're no makeups for shotgun so the only time I need to reload is if I jack a round out or it requires more than 6 rounds and then for the later I carry my shotshells for WB on a canvas prairie belt so all would have to do is put it on.

I use a canvas belt. It rides well above the gunbelt. I load two loops and skip one to make easier to pull two at a time. If you are not as clumsy as I am, you could load four and skip one. I keep the shells fully inserted in the loops until I am at the loading table, then I pull up enough for the stage so that only half the loop is holding them in place. They haven't fallen out yet but come out easily with a light tug. Loading the loops as I do, I can carry 24 shells. Unless I get fumble fingered, that is enough for a six stage match. I just keep rotating the belt around my belly as needed.

Belt. It keeps the shells at an ideal height & location for quick-n-easy access.

Most belts hold 25, slides usually 6 to 8. It's hard to run out of shells with a belt, whereas with a slide you can.

Also seen some shooters head to the line and, in their excitement, forget to refill their slide. Ooops.

I use a canvas belt. It rides well above the gunbelt. I load two loops and skip one to make easier to pull two at a time. If you are not as clumsy as I am, you could load four and skip one. I keep the shells fully inserted in the loops until I am at the loading table, then I pull up enough for the stage so that only half the loop is holding them in place. They haven't fallen out yet but come out easily with a light tug. Loading the loops as I do, I can carry 24 shells. Unless I get fumble fingered, that is enough for a six stage match. I just keep rotating the belt around my belly as needed.

Hey Fast Tracker, great minds think alike. That is exactly how I do it and what I use. My belt will hold 33. :lol:

Ps. If you look closely at my avatar you can see my canvas shotgun belt.

I wear my slide on it's own belt.

I shoot a SxS and I like a belt... mine is built with double loops.. to me it makes it easier to pull 2 at a time..

My belt holds around 14 shotgun rounds...

but mine is also made with cartridge loops for my 38's.. (rifle & pistol reloads) has 5 on each side, on each end of the shotgun shell loops.

I wear mine reversed.. buckle in the back, I think like most..

I place the belt where I have 8 shotgun rounds in front where I like them and the cartridge loops at the side I like to reload the rifle from when one gets jacked out or have a bonus reload for the rifle..

I also have a couple slides.. use them only if a stage requires more shotgun than I can carry in my normal belt.

Rance <_<

Hey Colt

Should have been doing those finger streching exercises when I was shooting the 97.

Used my canvas belt that held 25 and most times when I grabbed four they ended up on the ground. Then it was grab two and continue the train wreck.

When the stage was over I at least got them back at the un-loading table.

I was much better practicing over the bed with dummies.

I want to get a new belt with double loops so I have no excuses shooting the 87 and SKB.

Howdy

Been out of town for a while, so I missed out on this one.

I don't like wearing two belts all day. Don't remember the Duke ever wearing two either. :)

I have two belt slides that each hold four shotgun shells. I wear one on either side of the buckle on my gunbelt. Eight shells is plenty for any stage up to six shots, leaving two extra at hand or in case I drop one.

Stages that need more than six shots are getting pretty rare in these parts. But when I run into one, then I pull the shotgun belt out of the cart. It is an inexpensive canvas belt that I bought from Cabellas a bazillion years ago. Holds 25 shells. I load it up with the shells in pairs with one empty loop in between each pair. It holds about 18 shells this way, plenty for any stage I run into. After the stage, the belt goes back into the cart.

Archived