SASS Wire Forum

Llama 1911 For Wild Bunch

Judge Roy Stone

Sorry I'm new, this may have been asked many times, but I have a Llama 1911 was wondering if I can use it in a sass wild bunch match, Just bought 2 ER pistols and a 73 rifle and this would save me some bucks if I could use the Llama for wild bunch.

If it is the full size model in 45 ACP there should be no problem. There are some specifics that are required/disallowed and tghey can be found on the WBAS site. Read up on the specs here:

http://sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSWBHandbook_OCTOBER_2010_final.pdf

Look forward to having you shoot with us a Lone Star some third Sunday. Also, we will be hosting the first ever WBAS Texas State Championship this fall.

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?topic=244.0

As long as it meets the requirements, a Llama is a fine WB pistol. I have one for a backup to my Colt 1911 or to loan if someone needs it. I think they are great pistols.

If it is the full size model in 45 ACP there should be no problem. There are some specifics that are required/disallowed and tghey can be found on the WBAS site. Read up on the specs here:

http://sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSWBHandbook_OCTOBER_2010_final.pdf

Look forward to having you shoot with us a Lone Star some third Sunday. Also, we will be hosting the first ever WBAS Texas State Championship this fall.

http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?topic=244.0

Great, Looks like it will work, going to have to get up to speed to shoot in October, looks like a blast and look forward to making some new friends.

The Llama 1911 with the single stack magazine should work but Llama came out with a double stack magazine that would not be allowed in the Wild Bunch category. A friend of mine has the double stack and can't get the magazine to work at all but from what I hear the single stack Llama 45 is a pretty good 45.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun!

Juge Roy Stone, thanks for the pictures, they're just what we needed to make a call on your Llama. Unfortunately, your pistol is not SASS WB legal, due to the rib on the top of the slide, per the SASS WB Rules:

"• No external “rib” allowed on top of slide. Original Colt Gold Cup ribs are legal."

Juge Roy Stone, thanks for the pictures, they're just what we needed to make a call on your Llama. Unfortunately, your pistol is not SASS WB legal, due to the rib on the top of the slide, per the SASS WB Rules:

"• No external “rib” allowed on top of slide. Original Colt Gold Cup ribs are legal."

You might be right, Sgt. However ,the quoted rule is in the "Modern" category, it makes no mention in the "Traditional" section of the rules. The best bet would be to post( with Pictures)on the WB forum and get an answer straight from the horses mouth, Pecos Clyde.

You might be right, Sgt. However ,the quoted rule is in the "Modern" category, it makes no mention in the "Traditional" section of the rules. The best bet would be to post( with Pictures)on the WB forum and get an answer straight from the horses mouth, Pecos Clyde.

As for traditional class, the serrations on the front of the grip (look at the first picture) already rule it out for that category.

Well no problem, think I will stick to the 1873 revolvers then, just thought if I had one that would work I might throw it in the mix, just bought 73 rifle 2 ER Revolvers ( I'm still waiting to get to the FFL ) and a SXS + a cart, so may need to slow up a little anyway, but half the fun is getting all the stuff, Thanks for letting me know on the LLama.

Judge Roy Stone, As chairman of the Wild Bunch Committee and the person who wrote the firearm rules I can tell you that your pistol is NOT LEGAL in either the traditional or modern categories at a SASS sanctioned Wild Bunch match. What a local club does is not under our control. However, it cannot be used at a State or above WBAS match. Welcome to the SASS family and hopefully you will be able to join us over on the Wild Bunch side one of these days.

:angry: Hey, "Happy Jack".......

If you're the one who made up these "rules", thanks a bunch for muckin' up a side match that used to be fun for me. I'm not buying anymore guns just to satisfy the likes of you. I enjoyed playin' it with my 1917 revolver and my main match rifle - didn't have to drop the magazines in th' sand all the time as I'm sure you have done - do ya like cleanin' 'em out?? or do ya like ta shove 'em back in your match target hardball gun - I sure don't! I Don't shoot WB much anymore for that reason. Again thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Doc

Is there a rule that says you have to drop magazines in the sand? Or would that just be written into a stage instruction?

If you are absolutely required to drop magazines into the sand, I don't think I want to play either.

I wonder if you could catch them in your hand and put them in your pocket before inserting a loaded magazine?

I shoot WB Traditional and not all that swiftly. What I do is have the next mag in hand as the slide locks back. Drop the empty mag into the hand holding the full mag, insert the full mag, drop the slide with that same hand still holding the empty mag, commence firing whilst stuffing the empty mag into my shirt front or pocket. Never liked dumping mags in the dirt. Need to get a wide mouth pouch to toss 'em in. A good match will have a table or some other astroturf or horse blanket covered prop to eject the empty mags onto.

Happy Jack you should expound on the features of the Llama that make it illegal.

What's the difference between the "external rib" on a gold cup, and one on the Llama?

Not much. It's a little taller and the width is different, not enough to matter I don't think but there's other reasons the Llama is not allowed. However never fear, there are PLENTY of progressive clubs who would probably allow that gun to be used (along with other fun stuff and without some of the rules that some-a you'all think are overly restrictive)

On THAT note let me just say that some of you that were bein' overly hard on Mr. Happy Jack (Who I might add has done a pretty dang good job along with others in giving us a pretty neat game to shoot in addition to...) ought to be thankful you don't have some other knucklehead with a more traditional bent (like me) in charge of things. :P:P:P

There weren't be no Gold cups, Kimbers-SA-Whatsits because there wouldn't BE no modern catagory. WB should be shot with ORIGINAL style 1911's with them teeny GI sights. I wouldn't allow all that sorta-IPSC leather that ever-dang-body got. Use a traditional FLAP holster with the thing flapped down and no more of them bikini mag holders. Yep, gotta have a flap on them too! (and don't even git me started on RIFLES) Yeah, you'all oughta be grateful you gots such fine people like Happy Jack, Pecos Clyde and the like running that WB game. Don't know about YOU, but I had a BLAST at the last WB match I shot! (An' I'll be back next year too but I'm currently struggling if I should "upgrade" my leather from that 1912 swivel I been using to one of them aforementioned bikini-IPSC holsters so I can keep up with the competition... :lol:

I have found Wild Bunch matches to take away from CAS matches !!!

The time used to be spent running Side matches Cowboy Shooting(Fun,Fun Fum )is now being spent running WB ...

And this just plain out stinks ....

I don't Drive 1,200 Km. each way to a shoot only to find WB shooting has displaced Longrange shooting or any other "Cowboy" sidematch but ONCE ....

WB is very highly restrictive as to guns and gauges used ......

Jabez Cowboy

Archived