SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Missfires (Light Primer Strikes)

Clemsum

I have an old Savage Fox B Shotgun (Stevens 311 mechanically) that I had the barrels cut down on. As I have found out is the case with most of these guns, keeping the breech open all the way for reloading is a problem due to the heavy hammer springs keeping pressure on the cocking lever. I bought some reduced power replacement springs made by Wolfe specifically for this gun and when I installed them and tried it out the first primer fired normally and the subsequent shells had light hits about 90% of the time. I tried adding spacers between the springs and plungers with no success. I have called both the vendor and Wolfe and both said they should work and to return the reduced power springs.

After taking apart the action again and checking for debris or other obstructions and finding none I reinstalled the factory springs and now have the same light hit problem with the factory springs. I had never had a misfire with this gun before this so I think I must be overlooking something in my trouble shooting of the problem (I had no leftover parts).

The firing pins move freely in their tunnels and I have .076" firing pin protrusion above the standing breech.

Also, I re-cocked and struck the shells several times without firing in the Fox. The same shells fired on the first hit in my '97.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Clemsum

Thanks Cowboy, I am using Federal primers in AA hulls.

I expected the problem to resolve itself when I put the factory springs back in the gun, but it didn't. That is the main cause of my confusion.

Thanks again.

I am not a gunsmith. I have never disassembled a 311.

It sounds like something is being put in a bind when you reassemble the gun. Overtightening a screw maybe...

It has happened to me on other guns. Maybe look for some fresh scratches on a moving part.

For what it's worth...

Guest Chief

Take it apart again and check the small wire spring that returns the cocking yoke to the front after cocking, if it is sticking and not allowing the yoke to go full forward the hammers may be rideing the yoke and losing some striking power. Good luck

Howdy, Don't know ifn it's pertinent to a 311 but I was having a problem a few months ago with a sidehammer.It would intermitently fire regular 209 primered shell, but not set off my brass ones. After hours of polishing innerds, reducing rebound spring pressure and all what ended up being the problem was the return spring on the firing pin coil binding. If you got a little bit of debris in it the pin just might not be going all the way out. Kent

There is now JOY in the Clemsum Gunsmith Shop/kitchen counter. I just set off 10 primers in a row with the shotgun.

Chief got me started looking at something other than the hammer and firing pin springs and tunnels. In my frustration I had not aligned the little cocking lever spring correctly and the lever was not returning all the way to clear the hammer. I also realized that the top snap lever spring rod had been bent slightly and that spring was also rubbing against the cocking lever at one point.

Along with learning a lot about how to take apart & reassemble this gun, I reinforced the lesson I learned a while back but had put aside, about not seeing the little things when I am frustrated.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and helped me think this through, especially Chief.

Clemsum

Archived