SASS Wire Forum

Need ideas from non-MA residents

Ever since I first saw LD over twenty years ago I have been semi-obsessed with the 1860 Henry, which

I view as the most beautiful long gun ever.

Here's my dilemma:

In the movie the guys kept their long guns hanging on the wall by the door in their cabin.

I have ordered an 1860 Henry and I want to also hang it on the wall in my living room.

The problem is that MA has very strict storage laws that can and do get people into a lot of trouble.

I just can't bring myself to put a trigger lock on this beauty just to comply with what is a stupid law (I live by myself)

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can be compliant with a locking device without it looking stupid? I was toying, for example, with some kind of a wire disguised in a leather wrap with a tiny lock that can be turned toward the wall.

Someone suggested having a custom built glass case (which is compliant if locked) but my wall space is limited.

Any and all suggestions (including moving from this miserable state) would be appreciated.

Here's the law:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

(B) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a firearm, rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon, by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and in the case of a large capacity weapon or machine gun, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

© A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon and such weapon was stored or kept in a place where a person under the age of 18 who does not possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(d) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun was stored or kept in a place where a person under the age of 18 may have access, without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years, nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(e) A violation of the provisions of this section shall be evidence of wanton or reckless conduct in any criminal or civil proceeding if a person under the age of 18 who was not a trespasser or was a foreseeable trespasser acquired access to a weapon, unless such person possessed a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B and was permitted by law to possess such weapon, and such access results in the personal injury to or the death of any person.

(f) This section shall not apply to the storage or keeping of any firearm, rifle or shotgun with matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or prior to the year 1899, or to any replica of any such firearm, rifle or shotgun if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

Not being from there, or knowing the law... just a question... does the law say the guns has to be locked up? Or, can it be inoperable (removed firing pin)?

can the wall be altered? Can you run a cable and lock from behind wall and the gun so it is locked to the wall?

My 2 cents.

How about the repro guns (are they legal there? I have several in holsters in my office that fullfil my desire to display while maintaining the safety of a locked real gun.

Collectors armory and others have some real nice guns available

Collectors Aromory

Good luck

curley

Can you mount it to a plaque on a wall backing up to a closet or other accessible space through a single wall? If so, you could use plastic clad aircraft cable to snug it against the wall (two cables, one through the lever and one forward of the action) which couldthen pass trough the wall and through a steel plate screwed to studs in the opposite side of the wall. The cables then should be padlocked to welded eyes on that plate.

Minimum visual interference and near-maximum security, relative ease of access by the holder of the keys.

Guest Texas Jack Black

There are wall hangers that secure the gun with a locking device that is not very visible.

Ever since I first saw LD over twenty years ago I have been semi-obsessed with the 1860 Henry, which

I view as the most beautiful long gun ever.

Any and all suggestions (including moving from this miserable state) would be appreciated.

Best move, (pun intended), I ever made. :D

Come to Arizona. Gun laws are VERY friendly. CCW if you want, but you DO NOT need one to carry concealed. OPEN CARRY legal, done, and NOBODY minds.

I carry a nickeled SAA Clone in my standard gun belt. And I get many compliments on it.

As suggested, I would get a repro and keep the real gun in the safe.

The only guns I have on display are an 1861 Springfield and a H&A 38rf.

Neither would create a problem in the hands of a bad guy.

Even though I live way out in the country and the crime rate here is almost invisible, I still keep the guns in the safe.

Archived