SASS Wire Forum

Why am I a member of SASS?

Shaniko, SASS #19938

I don't shoot any more; my right eye is going bad on me, and my local group has been scattered by politics and infighting over petty BS. I'm a liberal and I disagree with most of the political positions espoused in The Chronicle. I could sell all my guns and use the money for more immediate senior needs. I haven't been in a match since 2001, and have undoubtedly lost what few skills I may have had, even if my eyesight was still good. My life has moved way away from my former SASS activities.

And yet.

Today I received my Chronicle with the excellent article by Pale Wolf Brunelle and Hipshot on what qualifies as a DQ when the rifle is overloaded, and I remember I have met both of these gentlemen and shot on more than one posse with Pale Wolf, and there are few men for whom I hold higher regard. I read about the matches and the achievements and the camaraderie of SASS members, and I remember what that was like when I was active. I remember when I was a by-God shootist, a Ranger with the Orygun Cowboys, and the times I have called all that to mind when I felt any self-doubt.

I remember the people I used to shoot with, and I miss them and their friendship and support: Hellgate, Wild West, Johnny and Kitty Colt, Hellfire, Pale Wolf, Marshal H.B. Thunder, Big Iron Buster, Transit Man, Dutch Canyon Red, Will Skinner, Man With No Name, Bad Eye Lefty, Bart Star, Doc Mosher, Sage Rat, and many others. Those were special times and special people.

But I don't shoot any more. So why am I still a member of SASS? I think it is because once you have awakened that cowboy spirit, you can't put it aside. You can't dismiss or forget the fun, the friends, the embarrassing mistakes, the sights, the sounds, the spirit of the game. Once you recognize that cowboy inside, accept it, live it—once you shoot that .45 and smell that black powder and hear that steel ring... well, pards, you just can't let that go.

I may never shoot a match again, but I will always be a cowboy and a shootist. And that's why I am a member of the Single Action Shooting Society.

Great Post Shaniko !!!

I know where Yer' commin' from !!!

The BEST Pards I've every known are SASS Pards !!!!

Wimp

I also like to read the Chronicle and look for folks that we know around the country. :wub:

We also enjoy shooting state and above matches and you need to belong to SASS to do that.

Shaniko !! good to see ya ol' Pard,long time no shoot with. Long time.

I"m a senior citizen now,and still shoot slow and have a lot of fun in spite of it.Love that CLANG.

The list you made of Pards no longer seen shooing is just terrible to think about./when things blew up, a lot of 'the old gang' just disappeared. sad.

Tomorrow is a shoot at Canby,and they put on a heck of a feed,come on out and ge reacquainted,and bring ur guns. heck,we don't care if ya hit anything. :) Heck,don't bring ur guns but do come out and listen to the clang and smell the smoke.!

good to see ya,Pard !

"mort"

I do not agree with all of Col Dan's articles.

But why would you have to get insulting and call his smile "Smarmy"? Because you disagree with his point of view? Have you ever met the man?

Geeze. <_<

But why would you have to get insulting and call his smile "Smarmy"? Because you disagree with his point of view? Have you ever met the man?

Geeze. <_<

Just the view from my saddle. But your point is well taken. I'll redact and retract the insult. That was impolite and uncalled for.

Ray,

Anytime you want to say hello to most of the people you mentioned, we're still around. Doc and Helen don't shoot much anymore, but me, Lucy, Big Iron Buster,Palewolf and others you know are still around..Haven't heard anything about

Dutch Canyon Red...Will Skinner is working in Olympia,WA. Sage Rat retired from the Sheriffs Office and moved to Idaho. He still comes around a couple times a year to shoot with us. Man with no name still shoots at Albany and Canby.

Bad Eye Lefty still shoots once in a while, but is heavy into quick Draw. Buck McGee, TR,

and a whole bunch more are still around. Come on over and see us, I'll even give you my guest room for the night.

Your politics are your business. Everyone has a right to their own opinion...You have to respect that...

PM me sometime and I'll keep you up to date. Miss shooting with you.

Hellfire

If I were you, I would find a good eye Dr. and see about getting your eyes fixed. Last year I had eye surgery for cataracts which were so bad in my right eye, I quit driving at night. Hard to focus and read anything. The VA hospital in Long Beach Calif. removed my cataracts (1 in May, 1 in June)and put in lens implants.

I'm lucky the VA covered the costs, but I would have taken out a loan on the house if I had to for the $$$ for the surgery. I can see like I'm 18 again. It's worth it just to see again. Colors are bright, I can see leaves on the trees and most importantly my handgun sights. If that what it takes to get you out shooting again, do it, you won't regret it. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. I'm shooting a 5 stage match on Monday,4th of July with the Cowboys in Norco Calif. BBQ afterwards.

Geeze. <_<

I kinda glossed over that comment about Col Dan (I do agree about 99% with his 'view from the saddle'). I thought it was a light hearted joke, seems it was an actual cheap political shot from Shaniko's reply to you. Seems that he noticed 'political infighting'and 'petty BS' caused his group to scatter...I imagine that he must have played a part of it - it takes two so to speak...too bad, and disappointing.

Oh well, don't sweat the small stuff... :D

Off to go shoot ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Just the view from my saddle. But your point is well taken. I'll redact and retract the insult. That was impolite and uncalled for.

Thank you.

Life is too short....even if you can't shoot, go out to a local club. You can run scores, keep score, do a loading or unloading table. I have a good freind with shoulder trouble and he comes to the shoots and runs the clock, spots, anything to help. He wants to shoot so bad and when he heals he'll be back, but he has a ball just being a part.

Life long friends. I have closer friends that I've met in the last five years of SASS than I've acquired in a lifetime. I love shooting, but the time before and after the shoot and the cookouts, camping, etc.....it's all good. I know that my wife can see me light up when it's time for a shoot.

I know that during the trials my wife and I have had that the SASS family has been there....even people I've never met have responded with support. If I didn't have my SASS friends in my life I'd be lost and I know there would be a huge void. Whether it's seeing pards and pardettes at a shoot or a phone call several states away....every time it's a "family" reunion. God I love this sport and the people in it.

As someone said in an earlier post....look at the positive. We aren't gettin out of this alive, so enjoy every minute you can.

KK

Life is too short....even if you can't shoot, go out to a local club. You can run scores, keep score, do a loading or unloading table. I have a good freind with shoulder trouble and he comes to the shoots and runs the clock, spots, anything to help. He wants to shoot so bad and when he heals he'll be back, but he has a ball just being a part.

Life long friends. I have closer friends that I've met in the last five years of SASS than I've acquired in a lifetime. I love shooting, but the time before and after the shoot and the cookouts, camping, etc.....it's all good. I know that my wife can see me light up when it's time for a shoot.

I know that during the trials my wife and I have had that the SASS family has been there....even people I've never met have responded with support. If I didn't have my SASS friends in my life I'd be lost and I know there would be a huge void. Whether it's seeing pards and pardettes at a shoot or a phone call several states away....every time it's a "family" reunion. God I love this sport and the people in it.

As someone said in an earlier post....look at the positive. We aren't gettin out of this alive, so enjoy every minute you can.

KK

Absolutely! You are one of those that comes to mind with your post...and I only met ya once :D

Hope all is well with you KK and your lady these days ...

Take care,

Why am I a member of SASS?

There ain't anything better out there!

Hi Shaniko,

Hubby shot many years before joining SASS (a pard bought his membership and paid his way to a major match)...Now, it's been many years since he shot a SASS match. This year, I asked him if I should renew his membership. Much to my surpirse, he said yes. I am so glad as I could not stand to hear that another shooter took his Alias.

There's a lot "between the lines" in the preceding paragraph; I hope it gives you folks a feel for what being a member of SASS is about.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I joined sass in sept. that when I heard about it. I wish I would have heard about it 25 years ago so I would have all the friends that I could have met at shoots. 25 years ago I would have had the money to go to lots of shoots and meet lots of people.The people I have met from sept. until now are my best friends and I would not know what I would do with out them. I am closer to some of the people I have met than I am to people I have know all my life.All of the ones I have met are not the best,but most of them are.They are the best and really good friends.Some of the people I have met on the wire are really great people and really do things the cowboy or cowgirl way.Some I met on the wire and got to meet,was like meeting a star to me. There are just some many great ladies and gentlemen in sass and I am proud to be in sass and hope I live a long time to meet all the people I chat with on the wire.

Go to the matches anyway. That way you still have the fellowship it seems you are missing.

I go to the shoot that I have the money for. I would go if I could not shoot just to meet the shooters.

Shaniko,

I read your post with interest. I found myself pondering how to best respond. Having just returned from my first shoot, I would join in the chorus and urge you to get to a shoot. Your old group is scattered to the winds? Find a new club and I am confident you will be embraced like a long lost friend.

So you don't have the same politics as those you associate with? Simple solution. Don't discuss politics! I have a hunch that you have other common interests, from guns and shooting, to gun leather, to history, you name it, that the subject need never come up. When it does, sit and listen. Remember, if something is counter to your political opinions, it isn't meant personally. Generally when the subject of religion comes up that is exactly what I do. It makes no sense to create problems where there are none. There still isn't a political or religious persuasion test at the door to the club.

As for not being able to shoot. You mention your right eye, but not your left, nor what the problem is. If there is a way for you to overcome the disability, then do so! One thing I have learned over the past few years is that a handicap should not stop people from doing what they desire. We have soldiers returning from war who refuse to be put off from their passions, despite losing limbs and sight. We have survivors of cancer, auto crashes, you name it, who continue to partake in whatever capacity they can. Those around you aren't going to see you as a nuisance. They are going to see you as inspiration should they find themselves walking in your shoes. Ask if there is anyone who has seen someone turned away who is struggling with a disability, so long as they can shoot safely (around others) and safely (their own safety) shoot. I would be shocked to here a positive response.

As Karl put it, life is to short. It is also meant for living.

Good luck!

Shaniko,

I read your post with interest. I found myself pondering how to best respond. Having just returned from my first shoot, I would join in the chorus and urge you to get to a shoot. Your old group is scattered to the winds? Find a new club and I am confident you will be embraced like a long lost friend.

So you don't have the same politics as those you associate with? Simple solution. Don't discuss politics! I have a hunch that you have other common interests, from guns and shooting, to gun leather, to history, you name it, that the subject need never come up. When it does, sit and listen. Remember, if something is counter to your political opinions, it isn't meant personally. Generally when the subject of religion comes up that is exactly what I do. It makes no sense to create problems where there are none. There still isn't a political or religious persuasion test at the door to the club.

As for not being able to shoot. You mention your right eye, but not your left, nor what the problem is. If there is a way for you to overcome the disability, then do so! One thing I have learned over the past few years is that a handicap should not stop people from doing what they desire. We have soldiers returning from war who refuse to be put off from their passions, despite losing limbs and sight. We have survivors of cancer, auto crashes, you name it, who continue to partake in whatever capacity they can. Those around you aren't going to see you as a nuisance. They are going to see you as inspiration should they find themselves walking in your shoes. Ask if there is anyone who has seen someone turned away who is struggling with a disability, so long as they can shoot safely (around others) and safely (their own safety) shoot. I would be shocked to here a positive response.

As Karl put it, life is to short. It is also meant for living.

Good luck!

:FlagAm::wub::FlagAm:B)

Seems that he noticed 'political infighting'and 'petty BS' caused his group to scatter...I imagine that he must have played a part of it - it takes two so to speak...too bad, and disappointing.

Oh well, don't sweat the small stuff... :D

Off to go shoot ;)

Gunner...I do see the smiley face that you put in at the end but just to set the record straight, I remember Shaniko and he had nothing to do with the Orygun Cowboys troubles or what led up to it. At one time that club was the premier club in SASS and recognized as such. It really is a shame what happened to it but other clubs sprang up and the shooters are still having fun in that area as Throckmorton pointed out.

Hellfire and Big Iron Buster still shoot in the area and would be more than happy to spend time with you. Although...you may have to put up with Ol' #4 if you hang out with them. :lol::P

We do tend to make friends for life among this group. Take a chance and get back out there and see some old friends.

Cascade Charlie

Gunner...I do see the smiley face that you put in at the end but just to set the record straight, I remember Shaniko and he had nothing to do with the Orygun Cowboys troubles or what led up to it. At one time that club was the premier club in SASS and recognized as such. It really is a shame what happened to it but other clubs sprang up and the shooters are still having fun in that area as Throckmorton pointed out.

Hellfire and Big Iron Buster still shoot in the area and would be more than happy to spend time with you. Although...you may have to put up with Ol' #4 if you hang out with them. :lol::P

We do tend to make friends for life among this group. Take a chance and get back out there and see some old friends

Cascade Charlie

Sounds good, from his original post it sounded like he was part of the fray - however, sometimes you can only take a post at face value (hence the many misunderstandings of internet communication). I know first hand as I was freinds (Facebook too) with a pard from here. We had some good conversations but, one time he misread a post and got offended and then 'defriended' me :rolleyes: . It's too bad that a very small bad moment can take away a longer time of good moments. I just don't let internet stuff get to me anymore...I've learned my lesson :lol:

Of course I wish Shaniko nothing but good things and as others and you mentioned above - hope he still attends matches to keep the relationships and support alive.

Sounds good, from his original post it sounded like he was part of the fray - however, sometimes you can only take a post at face value (hence the many misunderstandings of internet communication). I know first hand as I was freinds (Facebook too) with a pard from here. We had some good conversations but, one time he misread a post and got offended and then 'defriended' me :rolleyes: . It's too bad that a very small bad moment can take away a longer time of good moments. I just don't let internet stuff get to me anymore...I've learned my lesson :lol:

Of course I wish Shaniko nothing but good things and as others and you mentioned above - hope he still attends matches to keep the relationships and support alive.

You are absolutely correctamundo. We need more smiley icons to help explain exactly what we want to say and how we want to say it.

CC

You are absolutely correctamundo. We need more smiley icons to help explain exactly what we want to say and how we want to say it.

CC

:lol: yup - there are some good ones out there...sometimes a smiley face says it best.

Sure Miss Seein' You and Tammy Charlie !!!

and I know That You Know, For me it's always been the people !!!

Not the shootin', I ain't NEVER been no good, and the

Shootin' Match is my excuse to Visit with the Big Chosen Family

that I Love So MUCH !!!

WHY

Sure Miss Seein' You and Tammy Charlie !!!

and I know That You Know, For me it's always been the people !!!

Not the shootin', I ain't NEVER been no good, and the

Shootin' Match is my excuse to Visit with the Big Chosen Family

that I Love So MUCH !!!

WHY

Okay!! This begs the question...."When are we going to see you again?"

Are you going down to Comin'At Chya or coming over to Sparta for The US OPEN? It's been too long my friend!

Charlie

YES, WAY TOOOoooo Long !!!

and I really don't know when I'll be makin' it anywhere Charlie ? :huh: ?

I would Love ta' make it down ta' Texas one more time, T-bones been leanin' on me a little..

I don't think my Brother Rustler will make it this year?

Times just ain't bein' too kind ta' the Yoho's as of late.

But Enough of that !!

Things, sometimes have ta' test Ya', a little, and then things get better ?

We will see, what we will see ??

Love You Both !! WHY

I joined for the guns.

I stayed for the people.

Life long friends. I have closer friends that I've met in the last five years of SASS than I've acquired in a lifetime.

true dat !!

Shaniko !! good to see ya ol' Pard,long time no shoot with. Long time.

I"m a senior citizen now,and still shoot slow and have a lot of fun in spite of it.Love that CLANG.

The list you made of Pards no longer seen shooing is just terrible to think about./when things blew up, a lot of 'the old gang' just disappeared. sad.

Tomorrow is a shoot at Canby,and they put on a heck of a feed,come on out and ge reacquainted,and bring ur guns. heck,we don't care if ya hit anything. :) Heck,don't bring ur guns but do come out and listen to the clang and smell the smoke.!

good to see ya,Pard !

"mort"

Mort! Good to hear from you and Hellfire. I will make it back to one of the local shoots, and I hope it is sometime this summer. As I said, I still have all my gear (except my gun cart), but I think I would have to start all over again as a Traditional shooter, Senior class, now. My skills are too rusty to come back as a Duelist.

I don't shoot any more; my right eye is going bad on me, and my local group has been scattered by politics and infighting over petty BS. I'm a liberal and I disagree with most of the political positions espoused in The Chronicle. I could sell all my guns and use the money for more immediate senior needs. I haven't been in a match since 2001, and have undoubtedly lost what few skills I may have had, even if my eyesight was still good. My life has moved way away from my former SASS activities.

And yet.

Today I received my Chronicle with the excellent article by Pale Wolf Brunelle and Hipshot on what qualifies as a DQ when the rifle is overloaded, and I remember I have met both of these gentlemen and shot on more than one posse with Pale Wolf, and there are few men for whom I hold higher regard. I read about the matches and the achievements and the camaraderie of SASS members, and I remember what that was like when I was active. I remember when I was a by-God shootist, a Ranger with the Orygun Cowboys, and the times I have called all that to mind when I felt any self-doubt.

I remember the people I used to shoot with, and I miss them and their friendship and support: Hellgate, Wild West, Johnny and Kitty Colt, Hellfire, Pale Wolf, Marshal H.B. Thunder, Big Iron Buster, Transit Man, Dutch Canyon Red, Will Skinner, Man With No Name, Bad Eye Lefty, Bart Star, Doc Mosher, Sage Rat, and many others. Those were special times and special people.

But I don't shoot any more. So why am I still a member of SASS? I think it is because once you have awakened that cowboy spirit, you can't put it aside. You can't dismiss or forget the fun, the friends, the embarrassing mistakes, the sights, the sounds, the spirit of the game. Once you recognize that cowboy inside, accept it, live it—once you shoot that .45 and smell that black powder and hear that steel ring... well, pards, you just can't let that go.

I may never shoot a match again, but I will always be a cowboy and a shootist. And that's why I am a member of the Single Action Shooting Society.

Sometimes, a thing changes a man. COWBOY is one of those things that tends to change a man. Maybe not change so much as bring out the good things, make him appreciate his pards, I dunno what exactly, but it dos happen.

Archived