SASS Wire Forum

Left Handed Gun

I hadn't seen this movie in probably 35 or 40 years, so sat down to watch it on the Western Channel today. A number of the guns were laughable. The most egregious example was the scene in the gunsmith shop. The gunsmith has a non-inletted stock for an M1 Garand in a vise that he is holding a barreled action for what looks like a falling block rifle over. There were also several examples of what looked like double-action Colt Official Police or Police Positive revolvers with the cylinder release on the left side, but a Colt single action ejector rod housing mounted on the right side. There were several more that had me scratching my head, but they weren't on camera long enough to get a good look at.

I hadn't seen this movie in probably 35 or 40 years, so sat down to watch it on the Western Channel today. A number of the guns were laughable. The most egregious example was the scene in the gunsmith shop. The gunsmith has a non-inletted stock for an M1 Garand in a vise that he is holding a barreled action for what looks like a falling block rifle over. There were also several examples of what looked like double-action Colt Official Police or Police Positive revolvers with the cylinder release on the left side, but a Colt single action ejector rod housing mounted on the right side. There were several more that had me scratching my head, but they weren't on camera long enough to get a good look at.

There are two reasons for that Greg.

1. They didn't know better.

2. They didn't want you to see that they didn't know better.

Long before Duke used a SAA in the Civil War, take a look at some of the silent films. Police Positives and double action Smiths were everywhere. :lol:

Thanks to folks like Eastwood and Selleck, things are more accurate now.

The Great Train Robbery

Gail Davies as Annie Oakley on tv when we were kids had a couple of da 38's with ejectors slapped on em to look like saa's.

most of us kids weren't lookin all that hard at the gunz then anyways.

curley

Gail Davies as Annie Oakley on tv when we were kids had a couple of da 38's with ejectors slapped on em to look like saa's.

most of us kids weren't lookin all that hard at the gunz then anyways.

curley

I've got a couple of DVDs of that show. I knew she used Police Positive Specials, with fake stag grips and ejector rods. Supposedly it was because she was a "little lady with little hands", and the real things were too big. One of my episodes, though, she takes the bad guy's gun, and she has no problem handling that SAA.

Archived