SASS Wire Forum

Gun rights victory

Rye Miles #13621

Gov. Kasich signed into law yesterday SB17 and HB54 that will allow CCL holders to go into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Of course you can't drink while carrying and the law allows bars/restaurants to exempt themselves by posting a NO Guns sign. It also allows for some non-violent misdeameanors to get their gun rights back to purchase firearms. A victory for Ohio gunners!!!!:FlagAm: Rye

I'm torn on this one. Restaurants, great. Bars, not so much. Even when not drinking, the risk increase causes me concern, because others will be drinking, and where alcohol is concerned, stuff happens. I'm afraid one event will give the antis fodder.

I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I'm torn on this one. Restaurants, great. Bars, not so much. Even when not drinking, the risk increase causes me concern, because others will be drinking, and where alcohol is concerned, stuff happens. I'm afraid one event will give the antis fodder.

I believe that quite a few states already have similar laws that allow carry in bars provided you're not consuming, and I haven't heard about a rash of problems with law abiding citizens causing problems just because other people are drinking. The ones you have to worry about are going to carry whether it's legal or not and probably be drinking as well. I'd rather be able to defend myself against someone like that than not be able to do anything.

I believe that quite a few states already have similar laws that allow carry in bars provided you're not consuming, and I haven't heard about a rash of problems with law abiding citizens causing problems just because other people are drinking. The ones you have to worry about are going to carry whether it's legal or not and probably be drinking as well. I'd rather be able to defend myself against someone like that than not be able to do anything.

I hadn't thought about whether the laws exist in other states, but you make a valid point. I don't anticipate a rash of problems, it is the "one" that I worry about though. Trust me, in my line of work I know far too well that there are those who will carry into a bar, regardless. Often times, they don't even have the right of gun ownership.

I suppose since I seldom go to bars, and when I do it is to be social and have a beer or two, it really doesn't apply to me.

I hadn't thought about whether the laws exist in other states, but you make a valid point. I don't anticipate a rash of problems, it is the "one" that I worry about though. Trust me, in my line of work I know far too well that there are those who will carry into a bar, regardless. Often times, they don't even have the right of gun ownership.

I suppose since I seldom go to bars, and when I do it is to be social and have a beer or two, it really doesn't apply to me.

Yeah it doesn't really affect me either since I don't drink and don't have my CCW yet either, but I still see it as a good change in the law for responsible gun owners.

In Texas.and New Mexico, and probably other states, the 51% rule applies. A bar that derives at least 51% of it's sales from alcohol must post a "no guns" sign. In lieu of that sign you may carry and drink responsibily.

This has been the law in Texas for several years successfully. Concealed handgun licensees are an extremely responsible group, and fears that we will all turn into John Wesley Hardin continue to be unfounded.

Anyone expressing such fears is unwittingly backing the Brady group's position.

We've had this for a year here in Arizona. I've not heard of one problem.

Here's what I'm wondering though... since any establishment can still post no carry signs, and they currently all have no carry signs, how many do you think will intentionally take their signs down to allow carry? Probably not very many I would think.

The guys you have to "worry" about all ready have them where ever and whenever they choose.....it’s the law abiding folks that don't......and THEY aren't the ones you have to worry about......because they follow rules for the most part. The guns are all ready in there and being carried by shady folks but just because it’s not legal everyone’s ok?

Bottom line IMO:

The Government should never be able to tell us when and where we get to protect our lives…..it’s spelled out very clear in the 2nd amendment…….but just like the some SASS rules folks like to muddy the clear water.

Here's what I'm wondering though... since any establishment can still post no carry signs, and they currently all have no carry signs, how many do you think will intentionally take their signs down to allow carry? Probably not very many I would think.

I actually saw a bit in the news this morning, and at least one bar in Dayton had a sign thanking their gun-carrying customers for not drinking.

Edit: Here is a link to the story.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/budget%3A-concealed-weapons-allowed-in-bars

I actually saw a bit in the news this morning, and at least one bar in Dayton had a sign thanking their gun-carrying customers for not drinking.

Gotta dig customer appreciation! :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You people in Ohio are lucky. You can discuss the pros and cons of carrying a weapon into a bar. Here in California, we're lucky if we can even carry a weapon, and even then it can't be loaded. And that right will probably be taken away soon!

Several states have similar laws now. The anti crowd predicted Old West style saloon shootouts. Just like they predict blood in the streets whenever a ccw law is enacted.

Neither has happened.

We can carry in bars and can consume but the level you can legally have is greatly reduced. Like a shot of beer. Any more and your over the limit

In Texas.and New Mexico, and probably other states, the 51% rule applies. A bar that derives at least 51% of it's sales from alcohol must post a "no guns" sign. In lieu of that sign you may carry and drink responsibily.

This has been the law in Texas for several years successfully. Concealed handgun licensees are an extremely responsible group, and fears that we will all turn into John Wesley Hardin continue to be unfounded.

Anyone expressing such fears is unwittingly backing the Brady group's position.

Actually Capt. that's any establish that makes 51% of it's profit from the sale of alcohol for on premise consumption. A licensee may lawfully carry into a liquor store, a supermarket that sells alcoholic beverages, & the local Stop N Rob. To carry into any of those establishments without a license is a felony.

We can carry in bars and can consume but the level you can legally have is greatly reduced. Like a shot of beer. Any more and your over the limit

What state is that?

You people in Ohio are lucky. You can discuss the pros and cons of carrying a weapon into a bar. Here in California, we're lucky if we can even carry a weapon, and even then it can't be loaded. And that right will probably be taken away soon!

What are you talking about Two-bit we can open carry it is legal and as far as CCW goes that all depends on your local Sheriff, We just elected a pro gun Sheriff here in Sonoma County and he has said he will make it as painless as possible to get our CCW if we want it. I have nether the money or a proper gun for CCW so I will not be getting one soon.

I was one of the first CCW's when the law was passed in NC. The early training videos provided a very wide view of defense. We gained the right to defend ourselves but we are also expected to stay out of trouble: out late, wrong side of town, mucho bravado, hanging out with the wrong people. This was great information that was so practical and obvious that it has now been removed from the videos.

I like more rights and expect our CCW'd citizenry to step up and be mature adults that will not risk our expanded abilities.

What are you talking about Two-bit we can open carry it is legal and as far as CCW goes that all depends on your local Sheriff, We just elected a pro gun Sheriff here in Sonoma County and he has said he will make it as painless as possible to get our CCW if we want it. I have nether the money or a proper gun for CCW so I will not be getting one soon.

Assembly Bill 144 could end the right to openly carry an unloaded firearm.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6958

Archived