SASS Wire Forum

Buntline with 16" barrel?

WOLFY

I've had this thing forever... The other day, someone was questioning the legalities of going ftom a handgun to a long gun, then back to a handgun...

Anyone have any insight regarding this? I know that if the barrel is under 16", to fix the stock to it would require an SBR tax stamp, but the barrel is 16.1" long and it's OAL is well over 26".

Or would this be exempt much in the same way the Thompson Contender kits* are exempt...? For the record; when I bought it, my ffl DROSd it as a pistol.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/buntlinesetup.jpg

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/5556010527/8561381/d4fff8176117f14e0c05417a4a7cc009.jpg

*Years ago on another forum, I read about how Thompson sold their Contender pistols with a LONG barrel and a stock, so the purchaser could assemble a pistol or carbine depending on their need.

I think if it meets the 16 and 26" rules, it's legal as a rifle, and without the stock is legal as a pistol if it STARTS life as a pistol, at least according to the Feds. In NYS if it is a legal pistol, and is listed on yer permit (they all have to be), ya can't use it as a rifle, even with the stock and 16" barrel, because it is a legal handgun....

Here's a thought... and I don't know the answer...

... isn't the barrel length of a long gun measured from the breech face to the muzzle? So wouldn't a rifle revolver with a 13.75" barrel + a 2.26" long cylinder be considered to be a 16.01" barrel...?

Here's a thought... and I don't know the answer...

... isn't the barrel length of a long gun measured from the breech face to the muzzle? So wouldn't a rifle revolver with a 13.75" barrel + a 2.26" long cylinder be considered to be a 16.01" barrel...?

Oh, weird... I guess it might explain the US Firearms buntlines. I cant remember exactly, but those had barrels well under 16". IIRC.

If it was manufactured as a pistol and has been DROS'ed as a pistol, it's a pistol regardless of the barrel length......

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

If it was manufactured as a pistol and has been DROS'ed as a pistol, it's a pistol regardless of the barrel length......

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

So, barrel length is only important if by attaching the stock you now have an SBR.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

So, barrel length is only important if by attaching the stock you now have an SBR.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

Hi Wolfy,

If the gun is sold as a handgun and it has a barrel length of 16" or more a buttstock can be added without it becoming and NFA/SBR.

WIRE STOCKED BUNTLINE

Traditionally revolver barrels are measured just the barrel so to be safe I would measure the barrel only. Do not include the cylinder. You can't assume that all LEO's know the rules.

Even the ATF folks don't always know the rules. When researching the rules for the gun above I was told it was legal and where the rules were in the book.

But, I was also told that once the stock is attached it can't be removed. But, I was not given a source for that.

If that is the case then I would assume it applies to the TC Contenders and Encores's as well. Seems silly to me but we're talking government speak so who knows. :wacko:

Archived