SASS Wire Forum

Pawn Shop Vaquero?

C.S. Brady, SASS #63699

While looking around today at some pawn shops I found a blue/case hardned New Model Vaquero in .45 with a 5.5 inch barrel. The pistol is used, looks to be in about average shape, with black factory grips. I can get it for $350 OTD or maybe a bit less. I am currently using two stainless Stoeger/Uberti pistols. I was thinking this might make a good back up, but I don't know what these things go for used are what to look for. I also found the same basic pistol in stainless for $400 used. Let me know what you think.

Around here thats not a bad price for either, especially if you can get the dealer to come off a little. I paid more than that for an Old Model blued vaquero recently because it's the first I've seen in these parts in a couple of years.

I was not aware that the 'Old Model" Vaquero came with black factory grips....they usually came with wood grip panels (the Sheriffs' Model came with black grip panels in the birdshead config)...the "New Model" comes with black grip panels from the factory. At any rate that is a good buy.

found a blue/case hardned "New" Model Vaquero in .45 with a 5.5 inch barrel. The pistol is used, looks to be in about average shape, with black factory grips.

I was not aware that the 'Old Model" Vaquero came with black factory grips....they usually came with wood grip panels (the Sheriffs' Model came with black grip panels in the birdshead config)...the "New Model" comes with black grip panels from the factory. At any rate that is a good buy.

The OP clearly states he was looking at a New Vaquero. Original Vaqs usually came with rosewood grips, New Vaqs usually come with black plastic. But there are numerous variations (white plastic[faux ivory],etc).

350 is a great price for any Vaq in decent condition, original or new. I'd snag it up.

$350 for a NewVaq with a fake case finish is a steal, and well worth snatching if it's the caliber and barrel length you want.

Here's how I see this.

The fake case finish was actually kinda cheesy. It has a tendency to fade, it seldom looks original even when in top condition in a good specimen. But it's still worth having. Reason being, the fake case ran from 2004 through most of 2007. By 2008 they switched to the much better all-blue finish. But in a used gun, you still want the fake case.

I'm not making sense yet, am I?

Well what happened in 2008? A: "the great Obama gun rush". Sales went through the roof - not so much on sixguns, but on a lot of other Ruger stuff. The whole factory was tossed into chaos, between that and new product releases with gangbuster sales (LCP380, LCR38, etc.) and some changes to the production lines and staff being moved around. Ruger's quality control dipped - significantly. They've mostly got a handle on it now but a used all-blue specimen could easily have come from that period. A fake case gun definitely pre-dates it - basically, it was made during some of the best "vintage years" Ruger has ever had in their whole history. Other than the cheesy finish, it's very, VERY likely to shoot straight and have a sweet trigger, and otherwise be put together right.

On that basis, I'd take it - crappy finish and all :).

Archived