SASS Wire Forum

Primers back out ?

VICIOUS, SASS#8014

HOWDY; Took the new 336y out and shot 165 grain lead with UNIQUE loads from the lyman cast book. The federal primers all back out 15 thousand . Is this just due to fast powder and light loads or ?

More than likely.

RRR

165 grain bullet.

Heavy for 38s and light for 45C.

So my first question is what caliber are you talking about.

But if the primer backs out which it does with every round fired and stays out, the recoil produced by the bullets leaving the cases is too low. Recoil resets the primers flush with case. All primers back out due to the pressure build up just before the bullet moves from the case.

Exception: there are ammunition manufactures that use a water tight sealing compound for military ammunition which basically glues the primers in the case. They don't move. Some times they can't even be removed with a de capping die.

165 grain bullet.

Heavy for 38s and light for 45C.

So my first question is what caliber are you talking about.

But if the primer backs out which it does with every round fired and stays out, the recoil produced by the bullets leaving the cases is too low. Recoil resets the primers flush with case. All primers back out due to the pressure build up just before the bullet moves from the case.

Exception: there are ammunition manufactures that use a water tight sealing compound for military ammunition which basically glues the primers in the case. They don't move. Some times they can't even be removed with a de capping die.

If its a 336 its probably a 30-30.

RRR

If you have .015" primer protrusion that means you have .015" headspace. That is excessive for that gun. Most likely someone shot it with overpressure loads. When headspace grows it tends to continue to grow. Get it checked.

X2!

Is this a new gun?

LG

HI ; 336y is a 30/30 16 inch barell and 12 inch butt stock. IT is brand new out of the box made by remington as the barell is marked REP . IT shoots one hole groups at 25 yards off the bench. I will try some strong loads of 2400 listed in lymans 49th book and see if the MAX. loads do the same backing out thing. As this Marlin is not very smooth or well fitted, anything is possible. I want the short barell , this a sad excuse for a Marlin or I am just spoiled because of the well worn in other marlins we shoot.

I shoot Unique in my Marlin 336 in 30/30. It sounds like your loads are too light. Unique shoots fine. MY Lyman 48th Edition reloading handbook lists 7.0 grains with a 173 grain cast bullet as a starter with 10.6 as a maximum.... 2.510 OAL.

Guys, this ain't a revolver. If ya ever shot the poofy loads I have through a Marlin when doing research, you know a DECENT Marlin will have so little headspace that the primers may back out, but ony by .003 or .005", and NOT by .015" It CAN'T back out that much against a locked bolt with proper headspace, even with a primer-only load. if ya don't have access to a good smith nearby, use a dab of modelling clay or window glazing compound between two layers of scotch tape as a gauge. Put an unfired round in the chamber, and see what happens when ya close the bolt on the dab of clay. If it resists, stop. If it squishes down to .005", yer good. if it only squishes to .015", ya got troubles and Marlington ought to make it right (somebody chose the wrong bolt from the array they have at slightly different lengths to deal with the actual dimensions of yer gun.

Good Morning ; Happy Canada Day . and a great 4 of July to you all.

Good ideas . I will check it out further as suggested.

Just think this was the pick of the litter of several the dealer put on the counter for me to choose from.

HOWDY; So as Jack suggested I put a small ball of plastic between scotch tape and closed the action on a fired case and a brand new case both time the micrometer read .015 Thanks to all.

Regarding Marlins a rep has suggested that it could be four month before we see any more new ones in CANADA as the factory deals with there issues .

Glad to see AJ gave ya the way to check it yerself and the dealer's standin' behind it. Myself I use "Plasti-gage".

Glad to see AJ gave ya the way to check it yerself and the dealer's standin' behind it. Myself I use "Plasti-gage".

If'n I was wanderin through a diesel truck garage every day or two I would use plastigage too ;) I have seen it used on bearings, etc, hence my hillbilly plastigage method I can do right here at the shop without hunting the name brand stuff down. ;)

If'n I was wanderin through a diesel truck garage every day or two I would use plastigage too ;) I have seen it used on bearings, etc, hence my hillbilly plastigage method I can do right here at the shop without hunting the name brand stuff down. ;)

Tape, clay or even plasigage can be iffy, too easily distorted. Particularly if you don't remove the ejector (spring loaded, bolt mounted like the wins) and extractor (only for the marlin).

Still a shade tree method but a better way is to use depimed brass and start by measuring the overall length of the brass. Next re-seat a spent primer about half way seated then chamber and close the bolt using the lever to press the primer on in. With excessive headspace the primer won't fully seat. Re-measure the case and subtract the first measurement. Still not the best but it will definitely show serious excessive headspace from an overload.

• 2 weeks later...

HOWDY. I wish to thank you all for some good advice. The postman just dropped off a REPLACMENT 336Y Marlin at my door , 14 days after I returned the oringnal one.It looks better sounds right when cycled , smoother,. I will be fireing it soon. I figured it would be months and a battle to get anything from what other had said.

Surprize!Surprize! Surprize.

Post on how the New Rem-marlin works out, all I have seen so far are putting it politely, Junk !!!

Hope this one works out for you ...

I have strongly suggested to folks that they Not buy any rem-marlins, till and IF they ever get things sorted out ...

Jabez Cowboy

HOWDY; The real interesting fact that this replacement 336Y has a serial number 200 LOWER than the returned one? and its got darker wood, the screw heads look like they may have been taken out. I am guessing the gun shop a Marlin wareanty centre that I have bought many firearms from has had it cleaned up before sending it out to me.

Archived