SASS Wire Forum

Ops Dogs

They've been used by the military since WWI. Smart, strong, brave and aggressive.

Cairo looked just like our "puppy" Booker. Booker's half Malinois and half German Shepard. He's 125 lbs of lap dog. He was trained to be a police dog but "failed" the academy so they put him up for adoption. Seems he can't deal with loud noises. We adopted him and he's been fabulous. He does need a strong master, he's VERY intelligent and a huge love bug. He lets his girlfriend, half Shepard and half Husky, boss him around the yard. After a while, he gets tired of her being so pushy and puts her in her place.....in a nice way.

If we ever are presented with the chance to adopt another one, we certainly will.

I'd really never heard of a Belgian Malinois but I want one!

Sic em

nice dog I will take 5 please .. lol Rat loves them and wants to be one when she gets big.. lol

Neighbor across the street had two. One, the male, could stand flat footed and dead still, and jump a 6 foot fence. His name was Sky, but everyone called him Houdini because he escaped from the backyard in spite of everything Joe did to keep him in.

It got to be challenge for both of them. He never ran away, but always waited in the front yard until Joe came home and put him back in the yard.

I saw him climb a lemon tree to get on the roof of the house, go to the garage, go over and down to where he could jump onto a cinder block wall, move over to a lower wall the was around the yard of the next house over, onto the guy's pick up, and then to the ground.

Sky died last year at 15 years old, and only old age and arthritis (and the death of the other dog, Ruby) kept him in the yard for the last five years or so.

One of my close friends has a Malinois, and he is a super dog. Intelligent and was trained as a police dog. Gentle with people and not dog aggressive, but always needs a job.

Outstanding dogs, have a former student who is parters with one but I've always been partial to the Belgian Sheepdog in "tactical" black.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_sheepdog/

Always thought this was the breed John Wayne had in Big Jake then I heard it was a German Shepard that had been painted!

I bet he thinks it 's fun to jump out of the plane with his friends.

AJ

Not all dogs do.

We had a St Bernard when I was with the 10th Special Forces. He didn't like the noise of the planes and helicopters. He did like to run away once he got to the ground. :lol:

They make great Police Dogs. They will run towards an attacker and leap at them from 20 feet away, clamp onto an arm or other useless appendage ;) and sling their bodies past the target and bring them down with a crash....

Bob one of the spooks at the embassy had sometype of big german retriever, cant recall the breed, named Ahtuse. We lived in a small apt bldg across Martin Luther King Strasse from the schools athletic fields which was also one of the helo landing zones. Ahtuse hated choppers and would plant himself at the landing point, run around and bark till one of the family came out to get him. Sure was neat to see this dog keeping a Huey at a 50' or so hover. Funny thing was once they were able to land he'd play with the crew like they were old pals.

Archived