SASS Wire Forum

WTB non-SASS Ka-Bar knife

I would like to buy a WWII vintage Ka-Bar Navy fighting knife. This is the knife carried by Navy pilots.

My dad was a PBM flying boat pilot in WWII and carried one. Somehow, it got lost or stolen and I would like to replace it. There were several makers but I need thee Ka-Bar brand only. It should have a leather sheath.

Let me know what you have.

Birdshot

mdaly@everestk.net

I would like to buy a WWII vintage Ka-Bar Navy fighting knife. This is the knife carried by Navy pilots.

My dad was a PBM flying boat pilot in WWII and carried one. Somehow, it got lost or stolen and I would like to replace it. There were several makers but I need thee Ka-Bar brand only. It should have a leather sheath.

Let me know what you have.

Birdshot

mdaly@everestk.net

I have one but it's in poor condition. The hilt and handle are tight but the blade is chipped at the tip. The leather sheath has "trench art" carved on the front. Let me know if you are interested. $50 plus 8.00 shipping priority mail.

-BILL

314-921-4988

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/thebondman96/wwIIkabar003.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/thebondman96/wwIIkabar002.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/thebondman96/wwIIkabar001.jpg

If your looking for an original USN KBAR and sheat. To avoid a recent made or repro. The blade will be marked (actually blade guard) Kabar Olean NY.(not KBar) The sheath for the Navy should be a hard cased like the bayonets rather then leather, fiberglass, and will be marked USN MK1 Nord-8114 BM Co, This was the standard issue sheat for the knife for the Navy, though some did receave the leather sheat. MT

I have one I bought on here about 10 years ago. I bought it because of the story. This is the very shor version the guy said he was on a chopper flight crew in nam. The chopper got hit and the plane was going down and they had to bale out. He said one of the wounded crew member took out the knife and stuck it in the seat and said take this when you go. This guy claimed he removed if from the seat and used to to keep him alive for 10 days in the jungle. He said he got it with out the sheath. He said he had PTSD and wasa told by his doctor to get rid of the knife. He also needed money and was asking way morre than I would pay for the knife. I bought it from him because of the story. I figured if it was a lie it was a good one and if it was the truth I needed to help this guy out Your story is also a good so if you want the knife make me an offer of what you want to pay.

WW

Wild Willie, I would love to see a photo of you knife, if possible, could you send photos to mdaly@everestkc.net. I really like the story that goes with the knife.

I have looked on Ebay. There are some obvious fakes and some new knives and it is VERY hard to tell a fake from a real WWII knife without holding the knife in hand. There is quite a little industry faking WWII items including knives. I have looked for a Fairbairn-Sykes British knife but too many fakes on Ebay to risk it.

Birdshot

This is a pretty nice example............ and legit....Not KABAR, but same military spec made by Camillus. Most folks called them "KABARS' no matter who made them.....

Not my auction, just passing it on. I try not to shop for these things very often.......got an addiction for them! :blush:

Archived