SASS Wire Forum

I have come again, to lay my problems on the alter

wet sanding with lacquer thinner might work, the particles removed by the sandpaper form a slurry that will fill the scratch. Use at your own risk. No, wait, not thinner, maybe lacquer itself is the way to go with wet sanding, been a while since I messed with such stuff.

Might want to put a similar scratch in on of Miz Badgers prize chairs and try the technique first...

wet sanding with lacquer thinner might work, the particles removed by the sandpaper form a slurry that will fill the scratch. Use at your own risk. No, wait, not thinner, maybe lacquer itself is the way to go with wet sanding, been a while since I messed with such stuff.

Might want to put a similar scratch in on of Miz Badgers prize chairs and try the technique first...

I like that idea. Wait until I increase my life insurance. :blink: Wait a minute, If I ain't, the I can't spend.

Looking for plan B.

Somebody suggested putting Scratch X on it. It is a rubbing compound I guess, made by Meguiar's.

I wonder how that will affect the finish.

Some dufus, while placing his BSS in the gun save, managed to put a scratch of some size on the end

of the forearm. Any suggestions of a way to reduce it?

It's a badge of Honor, like a scar on your body. Tattoos can be OK, but a good scar always has a better story to tell. Hell, make something up how you used it to ward off a home invasion robbery, and scratched it on the candelabra, you'll be a hero.

As to covering it up, I use OLD ENGLISH furniture polish, It doesn't remove it, just hides it. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Looks like the finish is scratched but it is down to the wood. I had a fellow refinish the stock for me several years ago. He is/was a Weatherby stock refinisher. I suppose that he used the Weatherby finish formula, what ever that might be.

Browning put a funky finish on it originally. It looks nice and has a high luster. But closer examination

showed that the finish was a coating over an undercoating that appeared to be white. Why they could not have just finished the walnut is beyond me, but then again they didn't ask me.

Strange thing is, the scratch did not affect the shooting capability at all. I still can miss big and close up, as well as small and far away. :blink:

What kind of scratch is it? Wait before you all laugh... There are scratches that gouge out the wood, these are very bad. Then there is the scratch where the wood is crushed down or into itself, these are not so bad. If no wood has been gouged out.... Send your wife out with some money to buy a new purse. Then, lay a CLEAN COTTON wash cloth that is quite damp over the scratch, let it sit a bit while you turn on the steam iron.... let it come up to temp, now this is where it get tricky. IF the iron has that shot of steam/ pressure steam shot... give the wood covered by the cotton cloth a couple shots of steam.. see if the wood has been raised by the steam and the moisture in the wash cloth.. try again. I have found this work about 50% of the time the other method is iron directly on the wood.... this can and has scorched the wood os be doubly careful. If it doesnt have the steam pressure shot thing... let it sit on the wet wash cloth a few momnets, then check, repeat, repeat and see how it works.

Badger tried that steam swelling routine on the stock and was so impressed that he tried it on another member assuming it would help his love life. Third degree burns in a tender place!

Please send up a photo of your scratches.... and a photo of the safe.... I really can't help, but I do enjoy gun and safe photos... lol

It's a badge of Honor, like a scar on your body. Tattoos can be OK, but a good scar always has a better story to tell. Hell, make something up how you used it to ward off a home invasion robbery, and scratched it on the candelabra, you'll be a hero.

As to covering it up, I use OLD ENGLISH furniture polish, It doesn't remove it, just hides it. Just sayin'

Big Jake

That really do help a bunch-

whenever I get a garand from the CMP it is heavily dented in the wood, so I take a rag and place it over the gouge and a heated steam iron and the steam button brings the wood back out. I recall a cork in the wine bottle works like that, it goes in fine, then it gets wet and expands. I recall the navy will put wood in a gouge in a ship sometimes til it can be repaired.

Sure ya can, just use the spey blade on your Old Timer pocket knife. That is what it's for, after all. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Try the Old English, a crayon, or better yet an artist oil paint. Then, like Galloway said, start rubbing in Arrow Finish. This product deserves more acceptance. It will go over the top of about any existing finish.

Finally, I'd like to know the $$ reward for the apprehension of said doofus and if specifies whether Dead or Alive.

Git out to a funiture mover and ask fer a fruniture maker.

Dey have'em in all da colors.

Just rub it on , let dry , and polish wif a white rag.

Worked fer me ! :lol:

Archived